Could you? Would you?

by Prisca 24 Replies latest social relationships

• ashitaka
    ashitaka
    I've always told SheilaM that if she dies first, I have some scores to settle and would follow directly. I could neither replace her or enjoy my life with only her memory.

Dark but true.

Dude, that's exactly how I feel.

ash

• Englishman
    Englishman

If a bereaved person does eventually re-marry, isn't that a compliment to the deceased, almost like saying I was so happy with you, I'm willing to do it again?

Englishman.

• Francois
    Francois

I think I would remarry if only for the sake of companionship. I have lived long stretches of my life single and the longer I did it the less I liked it, until there just before I married my current wife, I could barely tolerate it at all.

I just don't believe that the human psyche is designed for living alone. Humans are social creatures and must have company. Hell, even African Gray parrots will actually get depressed, go insane, and attempt suicide if they are left alone. I have personally witnessed one of a pair of those white geese die, only to have its mate pine away within a month and die as well. It was one of the saddest things I've ever seen; this beautiful white goose lethargically and aimlessly swimming around honking for its mate, its appearance going downhill day by day, refusing to eat, refusing to preen and getting dirtier and dirtier, turning into a skeleton and finally dying.

So for my mental health, I think I'd be looking around as soon as the grieving process was over.

francois

• Englishman
    Englishman
    I just don't believe that the human psyche is designed for living alone. Humans are social creatures and must have company. Hell, even African Gray parrots will actually get depressed, go insane, and attempt suicide if they are left alone. I have personally witnessed one of a pair of those white geese die, only to have its mate pine away within a month and die as well. It was one of the saddest things I've ever seen; this beautiful white goose lethargically and aimlessly swimming around honking for its mate, its appearance going downhill day by day, refusing to eat, refusing to preen and getting dirtier and dirtier, turning into a skeleton and finally dying.

This situation is sometimes created artificially by a process known as disfellowshipping.

Englishman.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

I don't know if I could bring another man into my daughters' lives. My eldest is 13 and my twins are 11. I think I would wait until they're in college. But I get very lonely. I like being married. I always hated the single life and found it difficult to "click" with anyone. But it would be hard not having a sexual partner too. I really don't know what I would do. The other thing is that my son would need a father. But he's only two months old so we could wait until the girls are gone. Tough question Prisca.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit