'Wounds of a Friend'June 15 WT 2001

by ISP 7 Replies latest jw friends

• ISP
    ISP

This is from the back cover of the June 15 WT entitled ‘The Wounds of a Friend’. It highlights the usual double-standards…….

“THE apostle Paul saw the need to administer some correction to first-century Christians in Galatia. Likely to forestall any resentment, he asked: “Well, then, have I become your enemy because I tell you the truth?”—Galatians 4:16.
    In ‘telling the truth,’ Paul had not become their enemy. He was, in fact, acting in harmony with the Bible principle: “Faithful are the wounds of a friend.” (Proverbs 27:6, King James Version) He knew that the pride of erring ones could be wounded. …………………
    Today, Jehovah’s Witnesses are fulfilling their commission “to make disciples of people of all the nations, . . . teaching them to observe alI the things [Jesus Christ has] commanded.” In doing so, these sincere Christians do not cam-
    promise Bible truths that expose and condemn doctrinal error and unchristian behavior (Matthew 15:9; 23:9; 28:19, 20; 1 Corinthians 6:9, 10) Rather than becoming enemies to be rejected, they are manifesting the interest of genuine friends.”

The JWs want to be considered a friend because they preach the ‘truth’ and those who tell ‘truth’ should not be rejected.
    However, how do the JWs or the WTS respond to those who tell them the ’truth’ about their own religion, its history, ‘doctrinal error’ and ‘unchristian behavior’? Well they don’t like it. Such ones are treated as ’enemies’ by the WTS. Hey but how about throwing this article at them?!

ISP

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Hello ISp,
    Good point. I have got to say though, you are probably the WT societies most loyal reader. Keep up the good work. I'm getting so dependant on your reviews I'm inclined to quit reading it myself.
    jst2laws

• eyes_opened
    eyes_opened

Even though I let my subscription run out I think I may resubscribe, just because I am finding it COMPLETELY fascinating to now read the societies publications through Opened_Eyes One case in point is the song book! I have just been dumbfounded as of late when I hear the words to these songs, and wonder how these lyrics never bothered me before! Take this line from one song for example: Do we have a faith, accompanied by works <This of course means field service in the eyes of the society> This kind of faith preserves our souls alive! Translation: If you don't go out in service you will die at armaggedon. Truly sickening. And when I was still going to the meetings I NEVER thought twice about how horrible that sounded. SICK!!!!

Eyes

<oooops! can't get that forum code right most of the time>

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

I have to agree. I haven't picked up a Watchtower with any kind of regularity for years except to read 2 sentences and throw up at the dribble.

However, after reading your reviews I am inclined to start a subscription myself. Besides, if the power goes out I can use them to start a fire or pack glasses if I ever move again.

. o O (slipnslidemaster)

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Slip,

I occasionally read the magazines, either get them from the JW literature desk at the airport or the local laundramat. You will read them with a totally different point of view. Even the boring "study" articles are interesting as you read between the lines and spot the subtle urgings and pressure that is wrapped up in making the org virtually above God.

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• dmouse
    dmouse

I agree. I read the mags more avidly now than ever I did when a practising JW. I find them so fascinating in an anthropological sort of way. They would be just so damn funny if it wasn't for the fact that good people actually believed this crap. However, I deem it the responsibility of those who have escaped to analyze the inane dribblings from the GB, exposing their lies and presenting the truth in forums such as this - hopefully preventing others from making the mistake of believing this dross called 'spiritual food'.

Have I become your enemy because I tell you the truth? Hey, that's a good profile signature!

• thinker
    thinker

The WT also said:
    *** it-2 244-5 Lie *** "LIE The opposite of truth. Lying generally involves saying something false to a person who is entitled to know the truth and doing so with the intent to deceive or to injure him or another person. A lie need not always be verbal. It can also be expressed in action, that is, a person may be living a lie... While malicious lying is definitely condemned in the Bible, this does not mean that a person is under obligation to divulge truthful information to people who are not entitled to it."

Seems to me the WT may think the R&F aren't entitled to the truth.

• bjc2012
    bjc2012

Thinker,

They have given the R&F all the truth that they have. They are now making up stuff to fill in the gaps as they try to explain prophesy.

For those of you who are going to start reading the mags again, take your red marking pens and circle all of the words in sentences that express opinions, words such as, could be, might, likely, could have, probably, may be, possibly, and a host of others that I can't remember offhand. You'd be surprised at the amount of information in the study articles that is expressed as opinions and not as facts. This way of writing enables them to make changes in those opinions. They can tell the reader that they never really said that the original information was an irrefutable truth, but that it had only been someone's opinion. Since most who read the mags are not careful readers, they are able to get away with this. In fact, they are experts at this kind of writing!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit