I need help finding 2 specific Awake or Watchtower articles from 70's or 80's regarding converting homosexuals.

by paul from cleveland 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

I remember reading at least 2 articles from the 70's or early 80's referencing people that supposedly changed from gay to straight while Jehovah's Witnesses. I can't remember the specifics or maybe I was just reading that into the article at the time. Does anyone remember these articles or something similar?

Thank you. I no longer have any Watchtower literature myself.

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland
    I seem to remember that they referenced some unnamed brothers that were formerly gay but became straight and went on to get married, etc. Of course that was a long time ago so I may be remembering incorrectly...
  • TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

G 80 6/22:

Homosexuality—How Rewarding as a Way of Life?
    “The homosexual condition is rarely, if ever, a matter of choice.” This is an official pronouncement of the Roman Catholic Church in the British Isles.
    Faced with such thinking, many despair. They feel that, being involved in the homosexual way of life, any transformation is out of the question. But this is not so. In the eyes of the Christian, with God’s help nothing is impossible. As the apostle Paul expressed it: “For all things I have the strength by virtue of him who imparts power to me.”—Phil. 4:13.
    Consider the personal experiences of a man in the British Isles who has contributed the following article, and then make your own assessment.
    I HAVE always enjoyed the company of the opposite sex, and as a teen-ager I had my share of girl friends. Nevertheless, even in youth, I felt an attraction toward members of my own sex but rebelled against any thought of a homosexual way of life. It did not appeal to me, especially as I weighed up the consequences of what it could mean throughout a lifetime.
    In the 1950’s the ‘Gay Liberation’ movement was unknown. By the early ’60’s, however, a new spirit had started to develop and not so many were against homosexuality. It was more acceptable in a big city like London anyway. Even so, I still held back, rejecting the many opportunities offered me to engage in homosexuality.
    Homosexual, but Not Hypocritical
    I was idealistic, as so many young people are. I had visions of a good world with morals and standards. Only when I started to make my way in the world did I come face to face with its reality. I discovered that the world is corrupt, and that even people who call themselves straight and normal often act very immorally in many ways.
    As my youthful ideals were obviously not going to work out, I remember thinking: “What’s the use? What am I gaining by holding back? I may as well go ahead and live as a homosexual and make the best I can out of it.” With this decision, I embarked on a course of life that was to continue for many years.
    Initially I felt some relief in being able to lay my cards on the table and say, “Well, okay, I’m gay, so that’s that!” Even if some did view my way of life as immoral, I did not feel that I was any worse than others who engaged in different forms of corruption. In fact, in some ways I felt that I was better because at least I was not hypocritical, seeking to live behind some sort of facade. Once I had embarked on the homosexual way of life I did not care who knew it. There were plenty of opportunities to indulge in it and nobody objected.
    Since casual sex and easily broken affairs seemed to be the norm in “gay” circles, it became apparent to me in due course that I would be better off cultivating relationships with men who could bring me up the social scale. Many “gays” do this and, if they are reasonably attractive, are not short of propositions from influential and wealthy men. As a result, I was taken out and given a very good time by many male friends.
    My Affluent Way of Life
    Eventually I managed to get myself a very rich boyfriend. He bought me fine clothes and introduced me to high-society living where money was no object. He had a flat in an exclusive part of London and also one in the south of France. I was taken on extravagant vacations abroad and it was thrilling for me to rub shoulders with the rich and famous. Being young at the time, I found it all new and exciting.
    In London there are plenty of clubs where homosexuals can meet one another. In fact, it surprised me how many people in ‘higher circles’ I was able to get to know—bankers, lawyers and politicians among them. What an inducement all these experiences were for me to stay “gay”!
    As far as religion was concerned, I never had taken it seriously. I was not an atheist by any means, reasoning that there must be some supreme power, but never giving the matter much thought. I found that it was a subject homosexuals rarely discussed.
    During my years as a homosexual I had several immoral advances from priests and clergymen. So as far as religion was concerned I had no reason to take it seriously. The Christianity that I saw was no different from the world in which I was living.
    Life as a “Free-lance” Homosexual
    But the glamour of a “gay” life does not last. Its very insistence on never-ending youth and charm has driven many to despair and even suicide, as I well know. Having to live up to certain standards and always to present oneself as a charming attraction can have its drawbacks. In my case I knew that when the charm wore off, or my looks started to fade, I would be finished, thrown out, as so many others have been. So I opted for independence and decided to leave my wealthy boyfriend.
    Having tasted such high living, it was not easy for me to settle down to an ordinary way of life. I found it difficult to hold any kind of job and began to drift with a bad crowd. Eventually I became a homosexual prostitute in order to support myself.
    This meant a real risk of getting venereal disease, since it is well known that the incidence of VD among homosexuals is very high on account of promiscuity. My own doctor was a homosexual (I had chosen him for that reason), and so I knew there would be no problems in getting treatment for these diseases. Even so, it was not a life-style that I would recommend to anyone, as it brought with it many other dangers besides VD.
    A Settled “Married” Life
    It was at this unhappy time in my life that I met the man I lived with for the next 10 years. Right from the outset, my new partner and I got on really well. I was extremely fond of him and we began to set up home together much as a normal married couple might do. We viewed our relationship as something rather unique and special. Neither of us felt freakish or strange about it.
    As a couple of companions we were very happy. There was an intense, deep and loving relationship between us. In fact, we felt that the love we had was deeper than that of many heterosexual relationships we observed. Though we had many opportunities to go with others and inducements to do so, we always stuck together. Those 10 years he and I were together were among the happiest years of my life up to that time.
    The Challenge of Truth
    Then one day I obtained a Watch Tower publication. As soon as I started to read it, from the very first sentence, there was no doubt in my mind that it was the truth. As I read on, I could find no fault in what it had to say. It raised no questions for me. I had never studied the Bible, but this just had the ring of truth about it and I remember thinking: “This has got to be the truth!”
    My eyes were opened to options that I never knew existed. As I came to learn of the Bible’s hope for mankind, it threw an entirely new light on everything. I had a lot of free time to think. Looking back, I suppose it was a spiritual longing I had, although I did not recognize it as such. I had always felt that there must be a better way to live, not only for myself but for the whole world. The opportunity to choose one that is truly purposeful and satisfying, with everlasting life as the goal, made good sense to me.
    It did not take me long to recognize that I was at a crossroads in my life. As my appreciation of Bible truth deepened during my studies, I knew I would have to change my way of life, but would I be able to face up to the challenge?
    The Biggest Decision of My Life
    I knew by this time all the Bible had to say about homosexuality. Although I had never before been confronted with its statements, I felt instinctively that what it said was right. My life was certainly not a natural one. But I needed the strongest motive for wanting to alter my way of life. It was my growing love for Jehovah God that made me want to change.
    My first reaction was to get my companion to learn God’s ways. I wanted him to make the change in his life pattern too. Members of the local congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses often invited us out to meals and social gatherings. We were shown much understanding. My companion had every reason to see that he was not being left out of things. Indeed, he was being encouraged as much as I was. But sadly, he did not accept the truth as I had hoped.
    We eventually divided up our flat, each having his own room. But soon, we had to acknowledge that a split between us was the only solution. How was I going to do it? I remember thinking: “Well, Jehovah will make it possible for me.” I had my trust in him.
    The time came and we decided to part. It was like slicing off one whole side of my character, leaving it on the ground.
    Consolidating My Faith
    You have heard it said, as I have: “Once a homosexual always a homosexual.” But it was not that way with me. I quit, once and for all. Even so, I still have to work on changes in my life pattern. How reassuring it has been for me to bear in mind Jehovah’s all-embracing understanding of my problems! I have grown to realize that he alone knows individual circumstances and backgrounds and takes into consideration damage caused by environment and in other ways as he lovingly gives guidance through his holy spirit.
    There have been many times when I felt I would have to give in to the pressures. Yet I knew that I had benefited in so many other ways from the truth. After all, sexual desire is not all there is to one’s life. There is so much more to living, and I found that, having the truth of God’s Word, other avenues opened up to me, helping me in my desire to see changes in myself. Yet, problems take time to resolve. Homosexuality is no exception.
    When the apostle Paul wrote his letter to the Corinthians he mentioned homosexuality as a gross sin, but he did not particularly underline it as the only one, or as being worse than the others mentioned there. He listed it along with other serious human failings, and surely if we fail in any one of those it means coming into God’s disfavor. But I have found that, when we try to conquer our weakness, Jehovah strengthens us. To expect to get any instantaneous cure would be wrong. But with Jehovah’s spirit helping in the exercise of self-control, I have learned that it is possible to work on in the way of the truth and manifest Christian endurance.—Rom. 5:1-5.
    It is humbling for me to know that Jehovah has been able to use me, and despite my imperfections he continually strengthens me.
    Many of my Christian brothers have been so very encouraging and kind. I am truly grateful for the loving opportunities and guidance Jehovah has given me through his Word, his spirit and his Christian congregation. It is my heartfelt desire to conform to the life-giving Christian personality and live to bring increased praise to his name.—Eph. 4:22-24.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

W 74 8/15:

HOW ONE HOMOSEXUAL CHANGED
    A homosexual male, an actor, who eventually settled in New York city, tells how he made the change. This man was thoroughly homosexual. Let him explain the about-face he has made and the effort on his part that has been involved:
    “I had been a homosexual since the age of eight; by the time I was twenty-three years old I came to be in absolute, unquestioned servitude to my flesh. Like many homosexuals I tried to salve my conscience and the seriousness of my immorality by saying, as do many sophisticates of this world, that I was ‘gay.’ But the simple truth of the matter is I was a pervert. I can still recall at least 150 males with whom I repeatedly engaged in every kind of sexual perversion. I do not say this to try to excite or ‘turn on’ anyone who may have homosexual tendencies but to illustrate the level to which I had fallen. Actually, by the gay world’s standards, I might have been considered only a moderate homosexual since I engaged in immorality with less than three different men each day.
    “Secretly I knew that my homosexuality was wrong. And when, a few years ago, I was invited to a meeting of Jehovah’s witnesses, I began to reinforce this conviction about the error of the homosexual course. Additionally, I liked what I heard from the Witnesses. The idea of living forever in a paradise earth really appealed to me. It was so pleasant, so relieving. I had always wondered why the world is the way it is, with so much hate, greed and selfishness in it. I wondered what hope there was for the future. Jehovah’s witnesses gave me the answers. But even at that I did not immediately change my homosexual way of life; I knew that would be difficult, as I enjoyed it very much. Further, I was continuing my acting career, including taping my TV shows. I was making a lot of money and that, too, would not be easy to give up.
    “However, in 1969 I was working in New York city and went to the ‘Peace on Earth’ Assembly of Jehovah’s witnesses at Yankee Stadium. During the concluding remarks I was really brought face to face with reality. The speaker directed his remarks to those who were not Jehovah’s Witnesses, saying: ‘You know you want to be in God’s new order. So why don’t you come along with us, and gain life in that new order?’ The simple truth of those words hit home. I did want life. I did love Jehovah’s people. From that moment on I began to make changes in my life. It was a question of either serving Jehovah and living or staying ‘gay’ and dying.
    “To say that from then on I never had a homosexual experience again would really sound nice. But, unfortunately, it would be a lie. I did slip after that. But I did not give up. I detested what I had done and made a firmer resolve that I would not repeat the immorality again. Few persons probably can ever appreciate the fight I had—the terrible agony, day and night, as the ‘flesh’ cried out for satisfaction sexually. In time I won the fight, but not in my own strength. Continually I went to God in prayer and asked for his help, and he did help me. However, I took action in harmony with my prayers.
    “I resigned from all acting engagements, even though it meant giving up many material comforts and much public exposure as an actor. I realized that the atmosphere in the field of acting is simply not conducive to practicing true Christianity or any decent morality. In time I completely left off all homosexual practices and was accepted for baptism by Jehovah’s witnesses.
    “In the meantime I have married a fine Christian woman, and we enjoy true happiness and contentment in Jehovah’s wonderful marital arrangement. Also, I am a ministerial servant in one of the congregations of Jehovah’s witnesses. But particularly what brings me pleasure is that I now have a clean conscience, and I know that I am living a life that is pleasing to Almighty God.”

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

Thank you TheOldHippie, I think that was one of them. I thought there was another one where someone got married... I'm not sure.

Edit: Sorry, I responded before seeing the second article.

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland
    Yes, the second one was the one I specifically remember. Thank you very much!
  • Heaven
    Heaven

Hi Paul ... hope you are well.

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland
    Thank you Heaven! I'm doing well.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ TheOldHippie...

I suspect the guy was bisexual and (from his POV) "lucked out" when he met the girl he married...

x

...either that, or the story's just bullshit all the way through, and/or cribbed from one of those dumbass "pray-away-the-gay" ministries.

• Zoos
    Zoos
    Curious what you're working on, Paul from the land of Cleveland. Or did you just have a bug in your tail and wanted to refresh your memory on something?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit