truth

by Sabin 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Sabin
    Sabin

I`ve been thinking, a thread was put up about a month ago asking the question " Why me? basically why some of us find out TTATT while others are so blinded, good, sincere people that we love. Well after some consideration I have come to the conclusion that 1) some are IN the truth 2) others WANT truth. There is a big difference between the two, it`s the 2nd group that seem to wake up because they are not so inclined to just blindly ignore what is going on when they see very clearly something is a miss. They are aware that lies are being told & move to investigate, thus learning TTATT.

What do you think? could this be so in your case?

• username
    username
    Very good point. I also think most who learn TTATT are very sincere honest people two. They know there is deep flaws and feel it's wrong that a so called religion can exploit many good people too!
  • Driving Force
    Driving Force

Sabin

You make a very good point, I wanted the truth, and thought I had found it and blindly followed the bOrg for 29 years. I did investigate thanks to the Internet and found TTATT.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007
    The Matrix....do you take the pill or not.
  • Zoos
    Zoos

Some good thoughts were made in this thread on the subject.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/222302/why-am-special

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I believe in being true to myself. I couldn't just let the WBT$ control my mind with nonsense.

I am a thinker. Everything in life has a price. I left the cult and the price was that my family broke up.

I believe that all people WANT to be in a certain religion or lifestyle so engineer it that way, even if it means forcing yourself to believe rubbish. I call it confirmation bias.

those of us that prefer honesty over delusion are to be congratulated.

Of course, there are those too zombiefied to think logically.

We tend to GENERALLY do things for a selfish motive....I don't believe there is true aultruism but there are those that genuinely try.

• Magnum
    Magnum

I agree with your point. I always wanted truth and still do. I just couldn't ignore all the wrongs/flaws and things that didn't seem right in JWdom. I tried to excuse them for a long time thinking that I should just overlook them and that things would get straightened out in the future. Well, they didn't; they got worse.

Concerning wanting truth, I'm reminded of Matthew 7:7 - "keep on asking... keep on seeking... keep on knocking". Most JWs seemed to have ceased seeking; they are sure they've found. I was always and still am a seeker.

username: I also think most who learn TTATT are very sincere honest people

I think that also comes into play here.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Yes, I am an idealist. I believed in it, and due to mind control I wasn't inclined to question things, but when I realized it wasn't the truth I left. I could never have stayed in a religion I didn't believe in no matter what the consequences.

I suspect that a certain percentage of JWs are idealists like me, another percentage are hardcore believers, their faith is in the Watchtower, not God, they will stay no matter what. I think there is a third group who are social JWs, they are in for family reasons or convenience. They won't necessarily leave if they find out disturbing things about the Watchtower, but they will leave the minute it's not convenient or their family leaves.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I grew up valuing facts, evidence, and logic.

The older I got, the more WT ideology seemed in conflict with those things...

• done4good
    done4good
    Vidiot - I grew up valuing facts, evidence, and logic.

The older I got, the more WT ideology seemed in conflict with those things...

Ditto.

I would add that a good reality slap helps though. Many intelligent people in the organization also value these things, however have it a bit too easy, so prefer to stay in their comfort zone, even if it means compromising their otherwise logical nature. A life changing event forces one out this comfort zone automatically, and often becomes the moment when the dissonance is truly resolved.

d4g

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit