Should SARS be getting more attention?

by Simon 34 Replies latest social current

• onacruse
    onacruse

((DJ))

No "piling on" intended You're cool in the chilling out...amazing how infectious the tension can be, eh?

One thing I find fascinating about this SARS issue: it's, in some ways, like a mini-play of the authority-control-solution cycle to which we exJWs can so easily relate (read "be sucked into").

#1 Authority: Doctors say...blah blah blah

#2 Control: Do and think as we say, because we are the authority here...because we are doctors (please refer to rule #1)

#3 Solution: We figured it out, which vindicates our assertion of control and authority (see rules #2 and #1)...or...sheesh, all hell has broken loose, but if only you all had followed our instructions and put yourselves into full-body plastic isolation suits, this wouldn't have happened; it's all YOUR fault (also, see rules #2 and #1)

Craig

• DJ
    DJ

Lol Ona........Yup, my sister has been bombarding me with "the time is at hand" stuff. She says "this is it, it is all unfolding, the king of the north, etc, etc." So, I come here for a little sanity and I get you guys scaring me with the Plague. I dunno, some days are so hard that if Jesus is coming back soon, I'm game. Except, this time I have this plan to fly up to heaven in the rapture. I know, I know, I'm like a little kid. It keeps me sane.

• onacruse
    onacruse

DJ:

Yup, my sister has been bombarding me with "the time is at hand" stuff.

LOL...I must be honest; the same thoughts crossed my mind today---the war now focusing on Bahgdad (Tigris River, ancient Babylon, king of north/south), and possibly another worldwide epidemic...signs of the impending great tribulation and Armageddon for sure.

How hard it is to rid my mind of these pathetic auto-play interpretations! In another 20 years, I'll be collecting Social Security ($50/mo by then) and the newspapers (presuming they are still in print then) will be coughing up some other hot stuff that I could (barring senility) yet again interpret as "signs of the times of the end." LOLOL

Craig

• DJ
    DJ

Ona,

LOL. You are optimistic. I thought that SS would only give us about $2.50 by then. Seriously though.....because I am still a believer in God and the bible, etc. These events are a cause for concern lately. I am so happy that I don't have the fears that I had as a dub. I mean, I believe Matt 24 but I don't think that it has anything to do with the jw's. Like I said, I'm going up in dat cloud, baby. Hopefully, it will be Jesus' cloud and not a mushroom cloud...

• Valis
    Valis

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Shakita
    Shakita

Apparently the antiviral drug Ribavirin has been effective in the treatment of this new strain of virus from the coronavirus family. 90 percent of the patients treated with this drug have recovered. I got this off of the cnn site. Question is........what happened to the other 10 percent?

Mrs. Shakita

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

SARS has been the main headlines in the newspaper here now for 3 days.

Last night they announced that all hopsitals and medical facilities here are now under quarantine. Not a good thing for the company I am employed by. Our Data Networking Division, has been shut out of a large installation we were undertaking at a Phychiatric Hospital, and all scheduled work in other facilities, has been put on hold for 10 weeks. The Regional Hospital Authority is one of our largest accounts.

I find it alarming both for medical reasons, and financial.

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

I have been working closely with various agencies regarding the SARS warnings in my area.

The following is a great source of realistic information not tainted by sensationalism.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/english/protection/warnings/2003/2003_11.htm

It provides daily updates on the occurence of SARS as well as measures being undertaken.

Also keep in mind that the minimums being released to the media to suspect SARS (such as temperature) are different than those being given to medical professionals in the diagnosis of it. For example, a temperature of 38 degrees is told to the public for them to get checked out, whereas a rapid onset of fever reaching 40 degrees is what is the factor for medical diagnosis. Most of this campaign is public awareness and their taking rpeventative measures to slow the spread of the disease.

The same precautions you would take to prevent getting a cold, should assist in preventing SARS. Regular hand washing (with soap), proper rest, proper diet all contribute to the body's ability to fight off infections, such as colds, flu, and SARS.

Also keep in mind people are being released daily after successfully being treated for SARS.

It is always wise to take precautions, but it is by no means TEOTWAWKI

Be well

Uzzah

• rocketman
    rocketman

I am concerned, though the facts that xander presents make me feel a bit better. Also, we certainly have better resources at our disposal medically now than we did in 1918, though as of yet no cure or totally effective treatment is available. It also seems as though proper quarantine actions are being taken when possible.

• Scully
    Scully

This is a copy of the embedded link provided by Uzzah, above. Thank you Uzzah!

The media-induced panic over SARS is no different than the (now) routinely seen media-induced panics over illnesses like meningococcal that have occurred over the last 10 years or so.

Common sense measures - such as Universal Precautions - should be sufficient to protect yourself and your loved ones. That means staying home if you're sick so you don't give your germs to other people. Hand-washing is the best way to stop the spread of any contaminants. Clean surfaces in kitchens and bathrooms in particular. A dilute solution of regular old Javex bleach will kill bacteria and viruses on countertops, stainless steel and porcelain (use your imagination, I shouldn't have to explain that).

*IF* you have symptoms - high grade temperature with sudden onset AND flu-like symptoms AND respiratory difficulties - have them checked out at the ER. Hospitals that are involved in the SARS outbreak have protocols in place - personnel stationed at the entrances to screen people coming in.

Above all, don't panic. The likelihood that you or someone close to you will contract SARS is very small. The people at the highest risk of becoming seriously ill and / or dying of SARS are infants, the elderly, and people with compromised immune systems. Between the average healthy adult's strong immunity and good hygiene, there is very little danger of contracting the illness.

Geshundheit!

Love, Scully RN

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit