I'm moving cross country, any tips?

by StinkyPantz 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

When I travel on long trips I find that I feel better when I eat lighter meals, making sure I have a salad a day and/or maybe some fruit. Nothing worse than being bloated on the highway where you can't walk it off (if you know what I mean)... besides, heavy meals can make you sleepy and that of course makes it more dangerous.

Otherwise, kick back and enjoy the trip... sounds fun.

• DIM
    DIM

We moved from Philadelphia to Seattle last year....my only tip is make sure your car is in tip top shape, make sure the timing belt has been changed if your car has over 60,000 miles....have fun, drink lots of coffee!

• blondie
    blondie

Make a box of necessary items

Toilet paper

dish soap

bath towels/washcloths

shampoo/conditioner

toothbrush/paste/floss

You get the idea.

Medications

Important papers especially doing with moving.

Blondie

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

SUNSCREEN. I don't know how many weird shaped sunburns I've got from sitting in a car on a long journey, with NO sunscreen. SPF15 and above is good, but more likely higher down your way, as I'm way up here in Canuckistan.

TOILET PAPER: you know how some service stations can be. "Oh toilet paper....oh that?" - I was in a service station in Saskatchewan one time, and the call of nature was loud n' clear one day, and there I was.....then look up: no bathroom tissue. Thankfully, someone came in, and I had no problem asking them to go to the adjacent stall to hand me what I needed. They were laughing, and so was I. I contacted the service station attendant, and he went in immediately to replace the roll, apologizing profusely. It was funny overall, but trust me, I've seen it happen more than a few times. Paper towel/toilet paper, is always good for in the car, and out of the car.

I think other than that, everyone has pretty much said what I would have added.

Have a safe trip and drive carefully.

• Prisca
    Prisca

I've just made a 1000km move, so the memories are still fresh

Keep all relevant papers regarding your move, bills to be paid, organisations that need to know your change of address, legal stuff, etc together in a large envelope. I bought a large clear plastic one with a zip, that way I could see what was in there, and the zip prevented papers from falling out.

Keep cleaning containers and equipment (mop, brush, cleaning cloths, disinfectant) aside, and pack them last, so you can unpack them first, and give the new place a light clean before you move in. Even if a place is supposed to be clean, there will always be something that needs doing, even if it's a light vacuum or dusting before you unpack.

Collect cardboard boxes of all sizes, even if you think they are too small. Small boxes are handy for fragile items, and to collect together little, fiddly things that might get lost in a bigger box. Don't use boxes that are larger than you can manage. Most storage or moving companies have boxes of certain dimensions, simply because any larger are too big to carry safely.

Throw out anything you don't need. When you get to your new place, you will wonder why you bothered to pack some things. Have a garage sale to get rid of things, or give them away to charity.

I know it's a stressful time, but enjoy it. See it as a new adventure. Good luck!

• Granny Linda
    Granny Linda

Ah, SP. Having just made another (3rd) major move I'll throw in my 2 cents. Yes, what Pris said about the cleaning supplies. Even a spotlessly clean home can use some smudging. I always do this when I'm leaving a place, too. Smudge, clean, offer a prayer or whatever works...just putting out good energy through thought. Anyhow,

I've found that cats will quiet down after awhile. I'm assuming you will transport in a pet carrier. I'd not concern myself with them not wanting to drink water, much less eat along the way. Of course you'll need to have their liter box, food/water containers handy for your nightly stops. Our cats tended not to want much of anything except too hide under the bed. Make sure you have a can opener handy if applicable. And be very watchful of them when you open/close your hotel room door. Actually we always made sure they were tucked safely in their carrier before going in and out with our stuff.

Actually it's the heavier items such as furniture, appliances that we load first. Boxes and other loose items can always be tucked in any vacant spot. Even the seemingly smallest space can hold something. Use your linens, sheets and such to wrap pictures, lamps, whatever. I've used linens to pack stuff within boxes, too. Even blankets and such can be packed into refrigerator. Don't waste space - utilize dresser drawers, cabinet space, because no matter how well one plans...and I'm darn good at this stuff, you might find yourself running out of room if your not careful. OH, be sure to label your boxes. Even at that, for sake of not leaving a box half empty, you'll be tucking all sorts of things into this or that box. Of course with staying in motels you'll be packing for that as well as for the long haul. It's alot of work no matter how well planned you are. Dirty laundry already, and you aren't even moved yet...

I've left some of the less important things for last just in case I had to give them away. It's amazing, as you'll find out, the amount of 'stuff' we can accumilate in even a short stay somewhere. If you have a deep freeze with food you can load it up first, tie a knot in the cord so it won't come unplugged and run an extension until you actually leave. Your food will, I promise, be perfectly frozen when you arrive at your new home.

It is a good idea to have a lock for the back of your moving truck. Are you going to be driving a car too, or hauling it behind the truck? You'de be surprised what you can pack into the vehicle. We put our most precious,and expensive pictures in the trunk, and our computer inside the car.

I did chuckle in a nice way about being rested. It all sounds good, but is highly unlikely no matter how well ahead of schedule you might be. It is a stressful time so remember not to be short temptered with each other. Do take some streching time out...even if it's just when getting gas or a meal. We do take water, but find eating while traveling doesn't work for us. When you do eat, as already suggested, eat lightly. Constipation really happens to the best of us at those times. And having a map might save untold misery as Francious mentioned.

In a nut shell, enjoy the adventure. Use your common sense and don't allow the impatient drivers to make you feel rushed. OH, and whatever you do, keep your animal confined in their new home for a while. Its not uncommon to lose them if they are uncertain of the new surroundings.

Take Care,

Granny

• Carmel
    Carmel

Pants, I'll give you a tip, once you serve me some hot coffee!

caveman

• Farkel
    Farkel

Stinky Panz,

: I guess what I'd like to know are little things that you discovered while traveling that people might forget or take for granted.

Along the way, and when you are hungry, ALWAYS stop at diners which have tons of Semi-Trailer big trucks in the parking lot. Truckers know all the best places to eat. Eat where they eat. You will not go wrong there.

Oh, and toss your cat out the window in the first ten miles of your move. If it survies, it will live on to make someone else's life miserable!

Just teasing!

Farkel

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Actually Farkel I agree about the cat. It's my husband's and I hate it! I recently found out that Tylenol is poisonous to cats so I'm thinking about grinding some up and putting some in her food before we leavehehehe (jk).

• Xander
    Xander

Well, I WAS going to offer advice, until I found out you were planning felininicide. Now, I'm not so sure.....

==========

Anyway, BOOKS ON TAPE! Seriously, MUCH easier to keep you awake than music, because you actually have to pay attention. That said, make sure it's a compelling story. When my wife and I have travelled up and down the east coast a few times (no moves yet - we'll be doing one from Ohio -> Oregon hopefully soon enough, though).

Personally, I think the Lord of the Rings series is a fantastic book series. Very compelling, especially if you haven't read them before (hell, even if you have - the only unabridged version out has an INREDIBLE narrator - he gives each character a distinct and interesting voice, sings the songs, etc.) In any case, that series is...hmmmm....45 hours long?

That should last the trip.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit