Offerings at Christian Church's

by goofy 16 Replies latest jw friends

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I have no problem with it. It is the way the church pays the bills. Because I have been visiting so many new churches, I haven't contributed to any in a long time...

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

The plate is passed "the offering" at the church I attend. There is no pressure at all about how much anyone should put in, and most regular parishoners have numbered envelopes, so no one knows how much they give. This is done so the church can keep track in order to issue tax receipt. Some people write a cheque once a year, and never put any money in the plate. There is no pressure either way. I have been involved by being on the vestry ( a committee of parishoners that help run the programs, organize things, make decisions about spending) and I have never known how much money anyone contributes over the year, but I have helped open the envelopes and record donations on a weekly basis. The treasurer of the vestry would know totals (an accountant usually), and confidentiallity has always been kept. By the way, at least half of the members of vestry are usually women. The vestry know in a total how much money is coming in and going out as they are involved in financial planning, but do not know total individual contributions other than something made public for a specific purpose by the giver. There is a small weekly notice in the bulletin about how much money was brought in last week for the whole congreation, but as it varies widely so one pays much attention. The total budget for the year is approved at the annual general meeting and any large spending decisons are voted on. It is at that meeting that there are discussions and disagreements about spending, and it is all sorted out there openly. There is very, very little talk about money and how much anyone should donate at our church, but lots of discussion on how it should be spent. eg. Do we pave the parking lot extension this year or next year?

My Dad rationalized it all and told me me years ago thatin the past the church provided medical care and social services for orphans and widows and those in need. Much of that is taken care of through taxation now, as the governmant has taken on that role here So, money that would have gone to the church for those social programs now goes to the government. He had a high income and was generous to the church as well as other charities.

It is a reality, that any church or Kingdom Hall has to bring in enough money to pay the heating and electrical, buy the supplies, repair the roof, pay the secretary, and pay the morgage, if there is one. After that, how much anyone choses to support whatever programs are going on is their own business.

A box at the back is no different than a plate passed around. There has to be some money collected somehow. As I have never set foot inside a kingdom Hall, I have no idea how much time is spent publically asking for more money or increasing donations.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Although a plate was never passed in KH's, the contribution box was conveniently placed on the way out. How many times did we have to listen from the platform how the 'spreading of the good news' couldn't be accomplished without our 'voluntary' donations.

At least by the passing of the plate you are being asked directly to donate funds.

This is just a way that churches have been raising money for centuries.

Dig

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

I don't mind contributing to religious organizations. The one I have a connection to does a great deal of work running hospices, and teaching literacy. For that matter the monks don't see a dime of the money. But if I were christian I suppose I would have a problem seeing one of these giant cheap warehouse churces with 5000 members and a preacher who has a leerjet. Then again I wouldn't go if I didn't like it, and I would not contribute. Churches need a certain amount of money to exist. If you go to one and feel you get your money worth, why not give something back.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    The fact that it is compulsory for everyone else is what is really corrupt.

Have you ever actually been inside a church, or have you gotten all your information about them from the Watchtower? I've been in a lot of churches, and I've never seen one yet where giving was compulsory. In fact, I've yet to see a Christian church where finances were even mentioned in the service, apart from the actual collection. The Watchtower would like you to think that all the churches are just big, money-grubbing rackets, but they just tell you that to draw attention away from the fact that that's what the Watchtower is. Of course, the average JW doesn't know that, because he gets all his info about the churches (and pretty much everything else) from the WTS.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    The fact that it is compulsory for everyone else is what is really corrupt.

Sorry Ash. I have to agree with Neon about this one. The Watchtower would have everyone believe it is compulsary, but it's not the case. Just like they'd like everyone to believe exJWs are demon-influenced. You KNOW that's just not the case.

I've NEVER been to a church...and yes, I've shopped around quite a bit...where giving/offering/sacrificing/donating was compulsory for anyone. Guests at my church are informed that they should NOT give to the plate being passed around. They are a guest and should only give if they WANT. I've been a member of a church for almost 5 years now. I've heard ONE sermon on money and it was about the widow's mite. The gist of the sermon was to give what your heart moved you to give. Yes, there are expenses of the church that need to be met. But if a church is TRULY led by Christians, it is understood that the money necessary always manages to show up. Sometimes miraculously so.

Just a thought. Let's say you had people over to your house every week. Sometimes several times a week. They never offered to help cook, clean up after themselves, help pay for the beer they drank or the food they ate. But every week they showed up expecting to be fed and entertained. How would you feel? The church I attend wants people to give from the heart. And I do. I do because I LOVE my church and the people that make it up. I WANT to help financially however I can. I understand there are costs that come with their giving me all the wonderful things they give me. Why wouldn't I want to give them money to help offset those costs?

I hope this helps you see a perspective of giving to churches that you may be new.

Love ya,

Andi

• goofy
    goofy

thanks everyone, some definite points to think about. --Goofy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit