Henschel's obit in NY Times

by Nathan Natas 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I find it amusing that Milton Henschel is accurately described, not as a "theologian" or "minister," but as an "executive."

Here ya go:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/30/obituaries/30HENS.html?ex=1049605200&en=36708e6cabbd6fc3&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE

Milton Henschel, 72; Executive Who Led Jehovah's WitnessesBy THE NEW YORK TIMES

ilton G. Henschel, a member since 1971 of the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses, which looks after their religious programs around the world, died on March 22 at his Brooklyn home. He was 72.

The Jehovah's Witnesses' public information office did not give a cause.

He lived in the complex of buildings in Brooklyn Heights that is the world headquarters of the Jehovah's Witnesses, a Christian denomination founded in the late 19th century that believes the end of the world is near and advocates door-to-door evangelism.

Mr. Henschel was a member of the staff of the world headquarters since 1939 and was the president since 1992 of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society Inc. of Pennsylvania and the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society Inc. of New York State, two of the corporations that the Jehovah's Witnesses use to conduct their business affairs, which include publishing Bibles.

He was also president of the International Bible Students Association.

A native of Pomona, N.J., Milton George Henschel had several years of religious training at Jehovah's Witnesses training institutions in Brooklyn Heights. He was ordained a Jehovah's Witness minister in 1934 and traveled to 150 countries while overseeing, and taking part in, ministry activity.

Surviving are his wife, Lucille; and a brother, Warren, of Canada.

• Zanniesmom
    Zanniesmom

He was seventy two when he died. He was ordained in 1934. Huh?

Becky

• Robdar
    Robdar

I didn't know that the International Bible Students were still connected to the JWs. Or maybe I did and haven't thought about if for so long, that I forgot I knew.

He was seventy two when he died. He was ordained in 1934. Huh?

Becky, Good Point!

*high fives Becky*

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Born: 1931
    Ordained: 1934 (A three year old ordained minister???)
    Bethel Member: 1939 (An eight year old bethelite???)
    Died: 2003

I'm sure someone got their numbers wrong... or the writer of the article did not do his/her math and was duped.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I did a little checking and he died at 82, not 72.

http://www.jw-media.org/newsroom/index.htm?content=/region/global/english/releases/events/030327.htm

For Immediate Release/Obituary
    March 27, 2003

Milton Henschel dies at 82

BROOKLYN, NEW YORK—Milton G. Henschel, a member of the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses, died Saturday at the age of 82.

Born August 9, 1920, Milton Henschel relocated to Brooklyn, New York, as a teenager in 1934 when his father, Herman George Henschel, moved to the area to work on construction projects in the printeries and residence building for Jehovah's Witnesses. Later, Milton Henschel himself became a full-time member of the organization’s headquarters staff. In 1947 he began serving in an administrative capacity. He became a member of the Governing Body in 1976.

Over the years Milton Henschel filled various administrative capacities for the international organization headquarters. He traveled extensively to countries around the globe, inaugurating branch facilities, overseeing the Christian ministry, and engaging in Bible instruction. His travels took him to five continents and to various island nations and territories.

Milton Henschel's friends and associates will long remember the man of tall stature as a gentle man with vast experience to share but never one to impose.

A memorial service will be held Monday, March 31, at the Brooklyn Heights Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses. Milton Henschel is survived by his wife, Lucille, and by his brother, Warren.

• Scully
    Scully

Re: Milton Henschel

Born: August 9, 1920

EWWWWWWWWWWWW I share a birthday with Uncle Miltie!! Can I change birthdays??? PLEASE!!!

Love, Scully

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Executive

Kinda says it all doesn't it? Glad to see the Witnesses have their priorities straight.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hi Scully,

Don't be too upset about sharing Uncle Milty's birthday - he won't be having any birthday cake, which leaves a double portion for you!

• simplesally
    simplesally

Regarding IBSA, the WT still uses that Corporation in some countries. In England, the factory at Mill Hill is called the IBSA building.

• rocketman
    rocketman

simplesally is right, they still use the IBSA designation at times.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit