Just found out their about to baptise my 14 year old boy.

by Crazyguy 63 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Stealth
    Stealth

When I quit the WT & divorced my boys were about the same age and not yet baptized. I had a sit down with them and talked to them about waiting as long as possible and used Jesus as an example, he was 30, yet the bible shows he was very spiritual lad at age 12 when he was left behind at the temple. He was the perfect son of god, why did he wait? Answer: to get more training.

I let them know that what ever they decide, I would support them. Have a heart to heart talk with your son, make him realize that if he ever changes his mind in the future, it could cause his mother to never speak to him again, so he best be sure he really wants to make that big of a decision this young in his life.

All the best.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I feel your pain. My child is a legal adult and not yet baptized. That's pretty rare!

Why isn't my kid dedicated to Jeehoover?? They were gonna do it because they were being pressured by the Eldubs and their kids who were getting dipped at 10, because the end was so close. Well, my kid freaked and was having a panic attack at the KH. So I went in the back and calmed them down, and said," You don't have to do this now, do it when YOU are ready. It's not a popularity contest."

Now it's time for the serious talk. I need to sit down and explain what the Bible says about baptism. Then explain why we don't dedicate our lives to a corporation or humans. I'll throw in some Gerrit Loesh quotes about not being under the authority of the WTBTS. Maybe some G Jackson stuff about "trying" to be the FDS, but not being the only channel, ect.

Then, the most important part. I'll make sure they know that I love them UNCONDITIONALLY. That way, if their KH friends treat them like shit for not being baptized, ( Eldubs are starting to make comments...) they will remember our conversation.

DD

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

"From what you gather the event has been cancelled....."

You do have a right to ask exactly when this will be happening you know.

You need to inform yourself of your own parental rights, you do have them. Ask a lawyer for advice if you need to.

Your son may hate you for stopping him at the moment and could send him running into the loving bosom of the borg. So it seems like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

So you need to decide what you would prefer to be damned for - trying to get him to postpone or letting it go ahead and hoping and waiting for him to wake up himself.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Watch some documentaries with them about Scientology and the billion year contract and how it is used to control people. show the similarities.

Sorry man, this sucks

• TheListener
    TheListener

Hang in there CrazyGuy. You're in a tough situation. Your spouse is really working hard to get your kid(s) in the truth and is convinced that having them baptized will lock them in so to speak. In my opinion the key thing for you to do is love your son unconditionally. It may make you physically sick to see this happen but if you stand by him whether or not he gets baptized he may see the light one day and knows that you will be there for him. A lot of us never had that from a parent.

It seems like you are doing all you can. My oldest told me several years ago that she was going to get baptized. When I asked why she admitted it was to make mom happy. I told her that baptism can't be undone and that she could get disfellowshipped if she makes mistakes in life and that she can't change her mind. She said she could change her mind just like I did. As a kid she had no idea how hard fading was and that I wasn't actually free to just speak my mind and change how I felt without walking on eggshells.

So, perhaps ask your son about disfellowshipping or the fact that Jehovah will destroy 99.99% of everyone on the planet. See if he has thought of those things and how they affect him.

I was able to get my daughter to agree that she would wait until she was 18 to get baptized. She isn't a witness. In fact she called it a cult several times over the past couple months and wants to know how we can get mom out.

Feel free to PM anytime.

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

Baptism is the trigger that pulls the shun gun.

Your son is being manipulated by very clever propagandists.

Our daughter was was going through a rough time for awhile as a teenager, and a couple pioneer sisters took her under their wing. Unbeknownst to us, she was being "encouraged" by them to get baptized.

The one sister told our daughter that baptism is a "PROTECTION" against wrongdoing BECAUSE OF THE THREAT OF BEING DISFELLOWSHIPPED.

This is not protection, this is coercion to the extreme!!!

Imagine, being told that baptism can protect you from doing stupid things because your whole family and friends will never ever have anything to do with you again if you make decisions to do things they don't agree with, including having a doubt or question about the organization.

My husband and I have started watching "Sons of Anarchy" on Netflix, and it is amazing how much a motorcycle club or gang is just like a cult. Once committed, it's for life, or pay the (usually very extreme) penalty. You have to give all to the club and their agenda or else. In SOA, they kill you. In WT-land, they "spiritually" kill you, or view you as dead.

Remember, and tell this to your son, that baptism is the trigger that pulls the shun gun.

It cannot be undone. The WT considers baptism as a contract. What legality allows a minor to enter into a lifelong contract?? Tell him you appreciate his zeal and desire to serve God, and he can still do this, but without getting baptized. Jesus was 30. There is no rush. Jehovah knows his heart. Baptism is a personal dedication between an individual and his God, and is a step that an adult should make - Just like Jesus did.

Ask him if he think she is the same person he was when he was 5 years old, or 10 years old. Does he think he will still be the same person in another 5 or 10 years? There are so many things to learn and discover, and that includes personal development and growth too. If his desire to be baptized is still there when he is 18 or 21, at least he will be making an "adult" decision.

-- also, in the Bible Teach book, there is a paragraph which says people do NOT get baptized into an organization, but into a relationship with Jehovah. Why, then, does one of the baptism questions ask you if you understand you are entering into a relationship with Jehovah AND his organization??

I hope it all works out for you and your son....

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters
    How you doing, crazyguy? Any updates?
  • 4thgen
    4thgen
    Please keep us posted. We're all with you here!
  • stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    why beat youself up about it ? baptism into the jw cult is meaningless rubbish to the rest of mankind. if your son gets dipped---he will most likely be finished with it before hes 20--then his mum will shun him--and you will have him back.
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Awesome update, was speaking with my son last night and he informed me he no longer wants to get baptized!!!! Also little funny side note the former cobe and the man that headed up my jc, both of his kids have now run away so to speak and are in relationships with worldly people. Ha ha.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit