Hello

by Hendrixgrip 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• Hendrixgrip
    Hendrixgrip

Hi, this is my long overdue introduction. I’ve been visiting this site since probably around 2011. In that time, I’ve taken a lot from these discussions and never contributed anything. I’m not sure that I have much to contribute these days because I just don’t pay too much attention to WT land. Perhaps the board just knowing there are fewer WT victims out there is contribution enough.

My my wife and I attended our last meeting in the late 2015 early 2016 time frame. I’m was a 4th generation and she was second. We were well on our way to raising the 5th generation when I started having questions. I began by reading all of the societies old material I could find. I served as an elder for around 10 years. In that time and in my capacity as an elder I was confronted with issues like the UN, pedophiles, etc. I just pushed it all down and soldiered on until I started having to tell my young children that they had to be awkward in their youth like I was.

Having familiarized myself with the societies moving of the goal posts over the decades, when overlapping came out, I thought “holy cow, they’re doing it again, and this time they want my kids. This whole thing is a total load of excrement.” I began talking to my wife, slowly at first, but it picked up steam as time went on. I’m fortunate that she is such a reasonable person and over the years she listened.

We we are living a very happy life outside the cult now and just celebrated our second Christmas in our home. A good chunk of our family has followed us out as well and celebrated with us this year. We are not disfellowshipped and really don’t worry about it except for a very few relatives. We have replaced our witness friends with neighbors, parents of our children’s friends, and people we share interests with.

If if I could offer any advice to people struggling with believing mates, friends, etc., it’s this. Don’t tell them anything. Ask them everything. I love it when people come to me to “save me.” It usually results in another convert away from the cult.

Happy new new year to everyone!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Hi Hendrixgrip, happy new year to you, too!

Nice to hear that you & your family are out.

Welcome to the forum.

I look forward to reading more of your posts.

• scruffmcbuff
    scruffmcbuff

Hey!welcome to the forum.

I dont contribute much either as I am so far away from the borg. I come here for updates on Jdub lunacy and where i can offer support, share stories etc.

This is also the only place on the world where I am around people who understand how it was for me growing up!

Its a great site.

• sparky1
    sparky1

Welcome, Hendrixgrip. Stick around awhile. Lot's of intelligent and kind people post here. I look forward to your postings.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

Welcome!!

You definitely are very fortunate to have saved your wife and kids.

Many families don't make it out together.

Many blessings to you and yours!!

• steve2
    steve2

Hi Hendrixgrip. love to welcome you on board. I like your comment about asking questions of JWs who come to "help" you.

You are absolutely correct about the organization's moving goal posts. I took seriously the 1914 doctrine, especially the confident assertion that the generation of people alive in 1914 to witness the outbreak of WW1 would still be alive when the end comes. The "adjustment" in that teaching (overlapping generations) has got to be one of the most ridiculous adjustments ever - but the rank and file have largely swallowed it.

• Betheliesalot
    Betheliesalot

Great advice, "don't tell them anything, ask them everything". Aloha

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Glad to have you on board here!

it's good to hear another successful escape story

The greatest revenge is living a happy & successful life!

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Sounds great, good for you and yours. Welcome to the menagerie.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

Hey man, welcome aboard. We're happy you're here, and more importantly, we're happy to hear you're happy living your own life. I really respect that, it's never easy to leave a faith you grew up in.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit