reponse letter to JW-fleshly-brother about my leaving the WT

by AhHah 35 Replies latest jw friends

• AhHah
    AhHah

Thanks very much to all for the encouraging words of hope. I hope that sharing this letter may allow others to find some validation for how they may be feeling in similar circumstances. Please do feel free to use any of these thoughts or words if you feel they may be of help in reaching out to your loved ones.

I hope that one day those members of my family still in the WT will learn what Christian love and tolerance mean. Better yet, I hope that the WT messes up so badly that honest-hearted persons have their faith in them shaken to the core and "get out of her", as they love to ascribe to persons leaving other religions. Unfortunately, those who want to believe will probably accept any explanation for anything they may change -- like disfellowshipping or blood prohibitions.

I am still amazed that a "Christian" religion can cause immediate family members to abandon relationships with unbelieving family members. Shows how thoroughly brainwashed and controlled they truly are.

Seven and Path, very good to know that you two are still here! Hope that you both are finding happiness and fulfillment in your lives. Miss chatting with you. I guess I feel a need to visit here again and I am very glad to hear from "old friends" like yourselves.

Love and affection,

Steve

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Anyone who gets upset over your letter seriously needs therapy. Two thumbs up, and a great example of how to write an encouraging letter under a stressing and delicate situation.

Guest 77

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

That is a great letter AhHah!

I hope he reads it and then re-reads it and stops to think before responding.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Man, that was an excellent letter. Thanks for sharing! I especially liked this:

The search for truth and spirituality must by definition be a personal journey if it is to be meaningful to oneself. To simply accept without questioning what others say, often just because they say they speak for God, is not of true value to the individual.
  • AhHah
    AhHah

It has been a year since I sent this response letter to my brother and he has never chosen to reply. He will not communicate with me unless it is a "family emergency". I remain hopeful, however. It took me over forty years to get out.

StinkyPantz,

I thought about posting my brother's letter, but decided it would not be appropriate since he did not intend for it to be read publicly. I did quote many of his statements in the body of my posted letter to him.

CountryGirl,

Maybe you can't be my brother, but I can be yours!

AhHah

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Your letter was well-written and touched my heart.

The Watchtower organization reminds me very much of the rule-obsessed, self-righteous Pharisees.

I couldn't agree more.

If you change your mind please let me know.

I love it that you've made it clear that if he changes his mind your door is open.

SPAZ

• AhHah
    AhHah

It's been many years since I have logged on and ten years since I posted this thread. I read the replies and recalled with appreciation how much the fellowship on this site meant to me and how it helped me on my journey. So, if any of you "founding members" are still out there, please reply and let me know how you are doing. I still have no religious affiliation, but I have found peace and acceptance in life. Love to all of you.

Steve

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

I'm not a founding member, but I just read your letter, and I appreciate it very much. It is amazing to me that 10 years ago the thoughts contained in your letter still morror those like myself who have only left recently.

The branch has not changed. I wonder, have you had any contact with your brother in 10 years?

• AhHah
    AhHah

Thanks problemaddict. When I wrote that letter I had hopes that perhaps by now more moderation would have made its way into the WT society. My JW family has settled into an acceptance of sorts for me and my three sisters who have left. My two brothers are still members and the one to whom I wrote the letter is an elder. I see them socially only very occasionally and I almost never hear from them unless I reach out. It's okay though, I have moved past the hurt. Congrats on your freedom!

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I never saw this, only joining the forum later. It's a letter that's very appealing as well as eloquently and logically expressed.

At the end you said,

You have made your current position very clear in your letter. You reject any relationship with me unless I renew my loyalty to the Watchtower organization. You are forcing me to choose between following my conscience and your friendship. That is not a choice that anyone should have to make.

It's funny, an article in a later Awake! said exactly the same:

7/09 p. 29 Is It Wrong to Change Your Religion?

"Although the Bible makes a clear distinction between true and false teachings, God allows each person the freedom to choose how he or she will respond. (Deuteronomy 30:19, 20) No one should be forced to worship in a way that he finds unacceptable or be made to choose between his beliefs and his family. Does study of the Bible lead to family breakup? No. In fact, the Bible encourages a husband and wife who practice different religions to remain together as a family.—1 Corinthians 7:12, 13."

Ironic, hey?

I'm glad things have turned out all right for you and thanks for the update :-)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit