Derek Ohare was murdered. R.I.P dear friend

by Newly Enlightened 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Newly Enlightened
  • peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Tragic.

I recall in the 70's this style of exJw activism was more common. Hardly a convention didn't have someone calling out on the sidewalk. I have to believe it worked at least for some. I recall, "Mr Coffee" (and half and half) spent years out front the WT headquarters pointedly calling out what he saw as hypocrisy.

Then again as JWs we did the identical thing standing in a public setting calling out to passersby that the end was near. The politically correct age we live in makes these methods seem dated and even wrong. What's wrong is staying quiet when something needs to be said.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Found this, also on Kentonline, not sure of the date of this Article :

"This morning, Ajay Porter, made his first appearance at Maidstone Crown Court, charged with his murder.

Porter, 36, of Oswold Road, Dover, spoke only twice to confirm his name and to tell Judge Julian Smith he understood the proceedings.

Defence barrister Danny Moore said there would be no application for bail at this time and no plea was indicated.

Porter, also charged with possession of a bladed article in a public place, is next due at Maidstone Crown Court on March 4, where he is expected to enter pleas."

R.I.P Derek. If you only started one or two on the Road to Freedom , you did a great thing. What a tragic end to a life that should not have ended for years. Derek will not be forgotten, and his work goes on.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Phizzy:

I couldn't say anything better than what Phizzy said:

--------------------

R.I.P Derek. If you only started one or two on the Road to Freedom , you did a great thing. What a tragic end to a life that should not have ended for years. Derek will not be forgotten, and his work goes on.

Grandpa!

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Thank you Mike and Kim for a great Tribute....clearly a man with a big heart who led the way for many who came after. So tragic. My condolences to all his friends and family.

Rip Derek. We all owe you🥀

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

RIP.

Quick Question: Does anyone know why he was murdered? A simple robbery? Or was it personal?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

If you read the Articles WC I think his murderer was a relative, I may have gleaned that from a news Report on the TV though.

But apparently neighbours heard raised voices, so I guess it was an argument, not necessarily just one the "went wrong", the guy stabbed Derek many times. sounds pre-meditated to me, but we shall have to wait for the Court Case.

• raymond frantz
    raymond frantz

R.I.P. Derek you changed forever exjw activism. His demonstrations in front of many UK Kingdom Halls opened the eyes for many jws on CSA abuse victims. Although he was vilified at that time from Jaba the Hutt and his crew I did run a couple of articles on my website on his behalf and was extremely proud to have seen him in action

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit