"Burnt remains from 586 BCE Jerusalem may hold key to protecting planet."

by Doug Mason 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

"A new analysis of 1st Temple-era artifacts, magnetized when Babylonians torched the city, provides a way to chart the geomagnetic field – physics’ Holy Grail – and maybe save Earth"

https://www.timesofisrael.com/burnt-remains-of-586-bce-destruction-of-jerusalem-help-map-physics-holy-grail/?utm_source=The+Daily+Edition&utm_campaign=daily-edition-2020-08-09&utm_medium=email#comments

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

or maybe not.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" took place on Tisha B’Av. “I don’t know of anyone who doubts the historicity of the event,” said Vaknin. However, even gaining “surety to the month, and even to the year is very rare” when speaking of events that took place 2,600 years ago, said Vaknin " . (586BCE).

We know of a Group who would dispute Tish B'Av, 586 BCE. Don't we ?? LOL.

The saddest day of the Jewish year, not one that the Jews would get wrong is it ?

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

According to the Bible, Jerusalem fell in the 5th month (August) whereas the WTS marks the start of their 2520 years two months later, in the 7th month (October).

• scholar
    scholar

Doug Mason

Jerusalem was destroyed in the 5th month of 607 BCE and the Gentile Times is correctly counted not from the 5th month in that year but the 7th month when the Exile proper and the Desolation of Judah commenced thus properly beginning the 70 years of Exile and Servitude to Babylon as foretold by the prophet, Jeremiah.

COJ must be very upset with Israeli archaeologists who consistently date the Fall of Jerusalem in 586 BCE and not the apostate date of 587 BCE.

scholar JW

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@scholar:

No matter how hard one insists, the sky is not a red and yellow plaid pattern.

• Earnest
    Earnest

scholar : COJ must be very upset with Israeli archaeologists who consistently date the Fall of Jerusalem in 586 BCE

Neil, I like your sense of humour. You and COJ are strange bed-fellows. It should be noted that the geomagnetic field is not being used to date the destruction of Jerusalem, but the destruction of Jerusalem is used to date the geomagnetic field as it existed at that time. That is why the PLOS ONE article is entitled The Earth’s magnetic field in Jerusalem during the Babylonian destruction: A unique reference for field behavior and an anchor for archaeomagnetic dating.

The dating of the destruction of Jerusalem to 586 BCE is based on the book The fall and rise of Jerusalem: Judah under Babylonian rule, 2005, by Oded Lipschits, who is also one of the editors of the article. In a review of his book in The Journal of Theological Studies, 2007, the reviewer wrote of the destruction of the Temple in 587 BCE so it just depends on what dating system you use (as you know).

The importance of this "anchor" for archaeomagnetic dating is that in this period the use of radiocarbon dating is very limited in its precision, with a variation of 200 years. The detailed biblical descriptions regarding the destruction of Jerusalem enable the dating of the paleomagnetism found in the ruins to less than a year. This can then be used as an anchor to help constrain the chronology of previous and future archaeomagnetic data from the same period and help validate suggested links between the Babylonian campaign and destruction layers in other sites.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@Earnest: Neil?

When it comes to scholar’s posts, I almost want to reference a man beating a dead horse. I even went looking for a good animated gif. Upon further reflection, however, I realized it would be more accurate if the horse were alive, well, and beating a dead man. I couldn’t find the appropriate gif.

• scholar
    scholar

Earnest

Thank you for your comment. I have Lipschits' book in my library as it is a required text for a short online course on that same subject which I completed a few years ago. In carrying out the required assessments I also argued our position on 607 BCE rather than the preferred date of 586 BCE for the Fall by archaeologists which of course is not based on the 70 years of Jeremiah. Interestingly, this textbook although providing a detailed historical account of the Late Judean period does not provide any/little comment on that 70 years.

scholar JW

• scholar
    scholar

MeanMrMustard

Keep flogging that dead horse!!!!!!!!!

scholar JW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit