Were JW Celebrities Ever An Asset To The Organisation?

by NotFormer 18 Replies latest jw friends

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

Just wondering if the rich celebrities that occasionally were aligned with the WT gave enough to the 'Tower to be a worthwhile presence within the organisation?

My gut instinct is: "No". I imagine that the Jackson family gave a fair bit, but it was obviously never enough to buy Michael the right to be held as being in good standing. He even gave that silly trigger warning at the start of Thriller (presumably at their behest) and they dfed him anyway.

And then there're the Williams sisters. For whatever reason, they never seemed to be held to the same standard as M. J. Were they baptised?

Prince (or "Brother David") is interesting. Having such a person within the ranks was always going to be risky, no matter how much he gave. Can you imagine the press release if they started clamping down on him in any way? "I gave these bastards $x-million, and they formed a JC against me!" It was kind of lucky for all concerned that he only lasted as he did. Not that it isn't tragic that he died young... 😿

It was obviously never more lucrative than simply selling literature door to door, or they would have been out courting more celebrities. They'd have lowered their "moral standards" and watered down their doctrines ages ago otherwise. Imagine what assemblies and conventions would have been like if the WT had seen cultivating a more celebrity oriented environment?

That being said, they do like wealthy and well-to-do donors, they just prefer not to hear from them until after they're dead...

Any further thoughts on this topic?

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

My Dad was a VP at a major oil company. The " Brothers " where always hitting my dad up for money. On time someone from New York came asking for money. I believe that's when my dad put his foot down and starting saying no. Of course he lost his privileges.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

I never understood how celebs could be "witnesses" because witnesses were to be no part of the world, and being a celebrity seemed to me to be as worldly as it got. And the ones I knew about seemed to have questionable behavorial . Now we have it the entire GB want to be celebrities. ( and from where I sit they are no asset, but I am glad they are there doing broadcasts because it showed me what frauds they are-so I could see the need to get out!)

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

"Now we have it the entire GB want to be celebrities"

It's theoretically doable. Change the rules, become a member of the right kinds of groups, get invited to and hold the right kinds of dinners, hold the right kinds of events; it might work. Become celebrities by association.

But the true visual is probably more like that of that idiot Herbert W Armstrong, getting himself filmed with various leaders while jetting 🛩️ around the world 🌍🌎🙄

• careful
    careful
    But the true visual is probably more like that of that idiot Herbert W Armstrong, getting himself filmed with various leaders while jetting 🛩️ around the world 🌍🌎🙄

Yeah, he took Paul's line about being "ambassadors for Christ" to a whole new level!

• Elena
    Elena
    Michael the right to be held as being in good standing. He even gave that silly trigger warning at the start of Thriller (presumably at their behest) and they dfed him anyway.

What was the trigger warning? I remember that young women in the pink top, was she meant to be a young JW sister? She certainly looked the part.

• Elena
    Elena
    Coco Rocha is a Jehovah's Witness and the Canadian model explains her religion a bit in a new magazine interview. "There aren't many Witnesses who are in the public eye.
  • TonusOH
    TonusOH

Elena: What was the trigger warning?

From https://www.rollingstone.com/feature/michael-jackson-thriller-video-97948/

"Due to my strong personal convictions, I wish to stress that this film in no way endorses a belief in the occult”

• was a new boy
    was a new boy
    NotFormer
    and they dfed him anyway.
    Facts please!

'In 1987, Michael disassociated himself from the Watchtower Society.'

https://jwfacts.com/images/michael-jackson-letter-to-elders-1987.jpg

https://jwfacts.com/watchtower/experiences/michael-jackson-jehovah.php

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

Watchtower is all about Money! They love money, they need money, lots of it. A famous person comes around it's icing on a cake.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit