Halliburton wins Iraq rebuilding contracts

by Trauma_Hound 27 Replies latest social current

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

LOL, , I and many anti-bush people were right. Hate to say this, but told ya so!

http://money.cnn.com/2003/03/25/news/companies/war_contracts/index.htm

Iraq rebuilding contracts awarded
    Halliburton, Stevedoring Services of America get government contracts for early relief work.
    March 25, 2003: 10:32 AM EST

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - The first contracts for rebuilding post-war Iraq have been awarded, and Vice President Dick Cheney's old employer, Halliburton Co., is one of the early winners.

The Kellogg Brown & Root (KBR) unit of Halliburton (HAL: Research, Estimates), of which Cheney was CEO from 1995-2000, was awarded a contract late Monday by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to put out oil fires and make emergency repairs in Iraq. alt

Halliburton wouldn't disclose the monetary value of the contract, under which Halliburton will put into action some of the firefighting and repair plans it detailed for the Army in a study in conducted in November.

"KBR's ... contract is limited to task orders under the contract for only those services which are necessary to support the mission in near term," Halliburton spokeswoman Wendy Hall said.

Army Corps of Engineers representatives could not be reached for comment.

The most critical part of the contract could be the "emergency repairs" portion, which could put Halliburton in prime position to handle the complete refurbishment of Iraq's long-neglected oil infrastructure.

Getting Iraq's oil fields to pre-1991 production levels will take at least 18 months and cost about $5 billion initially, with another $3 billion in annual operating expenses, according to a recent study by the James A. Baker III Institute for Public Policy at Rice University, named for the first President Bush's Secretary of State during the first Gulf War.

Though none of the potential administrators of such a contract -- including the Defense Department, the State Department's U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and the United Nations -- have claimed responsibility for handing out the job, Monday's award could mean the Defense Department will be in charge.

Halliburton said it has subcontracted the firefighting portion of the Army contract to Houston-based companies Boots & Coots International Well Control Inc. (WEL: Research, Estimates) and Wild Well Control, Inc., a private company.

Hall of Halliburton said the fires should be put out in about 240 days. Very few oil wells have been set ablaze by Iraqis so far, in contrast to the first Gulf War in 1991, when Iraqi troops retreating from Kuwait set fire to more than 700 Kuwaiti oil wells. Halliburton's KBR unit was involved in putting out the 1991 fires.

Separately, USAID late Monday awarded a $4.8 million contract to Stevedoring Services of America (SSA), a private company based in Seattle, to manage the Umm Qasr ports in southern Iraq.

Umm Qasr's ports, where U.S. and British troops have struggled for full control, are seen as critical to efforts to bring humanitarian relief to Iraqis. SSA will handle several tasks, including assessing the need for dredging and repairs to the ports and unloading and warehousing cargo.

USAID plans to issue seven other contracts, including one for $600 million for general construction work in post-war Iraq. Halliburton is among several companies reported to have put in bids for that contract. Top of page

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

TH,

Hey! When did the RFP's go out? I never had a chance to bid. And who was accepting these bids, when, where?

Dick Cheney still has some great friends at his old company. I was worried when we (at our company) hired the same retirement consulting company that Halliburton used. They ripped off millions from the general retirement fund when Halliburton changed hands. Retirees sued and lost because the new company claimed no responsibilty, and claimed the funds were insufficient to make any lawsuit worthwhile. But, surprise, surprise, Dick Cheney, still got a few extra million in payouts, after he long gone from the company. I read the article in The New York Times which said the deal with Halliburton and Cheney was "illegal."

Gamaliel

• freeman
    freeman

So what we are saying is that through the process of competitive bidding, one of the best oil services corporations in the world with an outstanding track record of success was selected to handle this gargantuan task. And then on top of that, this stellar performing company subcontracted the firefighting task to one of the best at what they do. This is absolutely scandalous!

Freeman

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

Never, ceases to amaze me, when the clue-less, can't even see evidence, when it's in front of they're face.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka
    The first contracts for rebuilding post-war Iraq have been awarded, and Vice President Dick Cheney's old employer, Halliburton Co., is one of the early winners.

Wow....LOL.....priceless.

God Bless Operation Pork Barrell!

• freeman
    freeman

It never ceases to amaze me how some people let their emotions and extreme political prejudices override their intellect. I don’t know why this surprises me, but it still does. If you would seriously like to understand how the competitive process works with multimillion-dollar government contracts, just ask. I’ve been directly involved with several over the years.

Freeman

• rem
    rem

Freeman,

Exactly. It's interesting how it can seem like a huge conspiracy from the outside when these people have absolutely no idea how the process works. Other companies, such as Bechtel, are involved as well. There are only a handful of companies that have the capabilities and experience for such work. The RFP goes out, they bid and the best company wins. Different companies will win contracts for different things. How do I know this? Bechtel is one of my clients and I get to hear a lot that you don't see in the news. You can bet that if the bidding process were not fair, Bechtel would be suing the government's ass!

There is just a lot of emotion clouding rationality on this board lately.

rem

• Chiquits
    Chiquits

Folks,

I currently work for Halliburton in Houston and can assure that they went through the bidding process like Flour, Bechtel, etc. Did you guys not also realize that HAL's engineering and construction company, KBR is currently rebuilding the infrastructure of Bosnia?

Who was president during the Bosnia campaign? Bill Clinton correct?!

Also, HAL has been investigated by the feds and nothing was found. Take a look at HAL stock price and see that since Cheney has been in office it has taken a beating due to unnecessary accounting inquiries, SEC investigations and the black cloud of asbestos that has loomed overhead and is costing this company several billion dollars to pay for frivolous lawsuits... brought on by attorneys that support what? The DNC.

• JT
    JT
    Exactly. It's interesting how it can seem like a huge conspiracy from the outside when these people have absolutely no idea how the process works. Other companies, such as Bechtel, are involved as well. There are only a handful of companies that have the capabilities and experience for such work. The RFP goes out, they bid and the best company wins. Different companies will win contracts for different things. How do I know this? Bechtel is one of my clients and I get to hear a lot that you don't see in the news. You can bet that if the bidding process were not fair, Bechtel would be suing the government's ass!

There is just a lot of emotion clouding rationality on this board lately.

well i hate to burst you guys bubble, but in the real world of gov contracts sending out RFPs can and do in cases mean nothing-

Not only do i work in gov contract work i PERSONALY KNOW MANY OF THE CONTRACT OFFICERS AND OFF THE RECORD THEY WILL TELL YOU THE REAL DEAL

of course 1000's if contracts are handled the correct and proper way, but the fact is here in washington everyone knows RULE NUMBER ONE -- IT IS WHO YOU KNOW AND NOT ALWAYS WHAT YOU KNOW

in this case i can't say,but don't close your eyes like a jw and say ALL IS WELL IN PARADISE

• freeman
    freeman

Rem,

It’s nice to see someone that understands the process. As I am sure Rem will attest, the process it very fair and it does not matter if you have friends in high places, that won’t help you.

Depending on how the RFP is written, there is a matrix of qualifying criteria that your company must pass, not the least of which is your capability of doing this type of job based on past performance. In the case of Halliburton, their ability to do the job on time and within budget makes them a front-runner based on past performance alone. And if they put in a realistic bid, as I’m sure they did, they could expect to have a very good chance of wining without even necessarily being the very lowest bidder in the bunch. It’s not necessarily the lowest bidder, but generally the best qualified that wins.

Want to talk about fair? It would not surprise me to learn that Halliburton subcontracts out some of the work to the loosing bidders. It happened to my company, we lost fair and square, but then the winner split the work with us.

Freeman

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit