Are there stats for this site?

by ILoveTTATT2 11 Replies latest jw friends

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

Hi,

Wondering if Simon or anyone else have statistics for this site?

I.e. How many users are there? How many posts have ever been made?

Perhaps a graph showing how many users there were at a given time? That would be nice.

The reason I ask is because there is a group on Facebook called exJW Recovery Group 3 which just reached 9 thousand members.

They started in 2006 and it took them until 2010 to reach 1000 members, until 2013 to reach 2000, and in 2014 they exploded in numbers.

Wondering if there is something like that for this site. It would be very revealing.

• James Jack
    James Jack

This would be an interesting read!!!

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

I think a facebook group and a 'stand-alone' discussion forum are two rather different beasts. I believe on facebook you used to be able to 'force add' friends to a group without them knowing, but that's a different story....

Using the 'Users' tab up top it looks like 80 or so members joined in the last month - so I suppose a good 1,000-per-year?

Using the posting stats on the front page - and ignoring the 'forum issues', 'social' and 'adult' sections - it looks like, over the last 17 years, there's been something like 219,326 threads containing 6,241,821 posts - which seems to work out at an average of around 1,000 posts-per-day - though as the forum has matured and grown over the years, I'd expect that daily posting number will be somewhat higher now...

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Simon your doing a great job, and I have mentioned this to you in the past. When I first joined you were able to see how many views you had recieved from any given post. I found this quite encouraging to see how many clicks it had recieved. I have noticed this feature is gone. Would there be a chance of been able to revive it. Thanks

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

I believe on facebook you used to be able to 'force add' friends to a group without them knowing, but that's a different story....

That group does not allow force-add. Everyone in there has joined directly. Like I said, it took them 4 years to reach their 1st thousand, 3 years to reach the second, and in just 3 years they've gone from 2 to 9 thousand members!!
  • btlc
    btlc

^^^^ Jehovah is blessing the work!

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

I've been a member here since 2005 and at that time I was able to ascertain that there were more than 50,000 members of this forum. That, of course, doesn't mean they were all active. Many, I'm sure, were only "one and done" members.

Only Simon, however, could give you some type of number with any kind of validity.

• Simon
    Simon

I took the page view counts off when migrating to the cloud for a few of reasons:

1. they have a negative impact on performance. Because just looking at something causes an update, it adds processing work and cost one way or another. I know it doesn't sound much in itself but it means pages can't be cached and follows on from there.

2. they are misleading. If 1 person views 5 pages of a topic at 10 posts per page and someone else views 10 pages at 5 posts per page, is it really 15 views? or 2? Does every bot and scraper count as a view? Server-counted views are less than ideal and most that you see are inflated as a result.

3. they are slightly meaningless. Does a topic having 1,000 views or 10,000 views really mean anything? really, beyond someone thinking up a more "click-baitey" title? We are conditioned to count "likes" and "views" because it promotes certain behaviours that are sometimes negative. People start reading the most read topics which is then self-fulfilling. I think "was this content helpful to someone" is more meaningful but much harder to determine.

Having said all that, I do understand why people want them especially for topics you create, to gauge interest etc.. My solution on the TODO list is to link in to the Google Analytics views which should give much better metrics and there are some new technologies on the platform that will make things possible without costing so much (some changes have dependencies on me updating other parts of the system first).

I also want to give more stats on likes / dislikes which can be interesting.

Membership is another one of those things that is hard to judge. If you make parts of any site private, you will increase registrations up to a point because you force people to sign-up just to read. It's interesting to see growth and interest but things like engagements by people posting, returning etc... are more informative (but again, not quite so simple as a single headline number).

There's always something todo and whenever I have time to spend on development, there's usually been other priorities so I can't say with any certainty when I might be able to get to implement any of these things.

• Sanchy
    Sanchy

What about just a straight up membership count Simon. Would that number be something you have quick access to and/or are willing to share?

I know the vast majority of those would be inactive, but it'd be nice to know just how many have signed up here throughout the years.

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2
    What about just a straight up membership count Simon. Would that number be something you have quick access to and/or are willing to share?
    I know the vast majority of those would be inactive, but it'd be nice to know just how many have signed up here throughout the years.
    I second this. Or perhaps you can make a threshold? i.e. Number of members who posted/commented at least X amount of times per year? If not... just simply how many have signed up as a function of time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit