Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief

by SecretSlaveClass 6 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass

If a thread has been made about this I apologize.

If anyone has not seen the latest HBo documentary release, "Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief" I cannot recommend highly enough that you watch it.

As the majority of us here are either survivors of or still trapped in a cult ourselves, this documentary will most certainly intrigue you. It's the most in-depth and extensively researched documentary on Scientology ever and features interviews with ex-scientologists who were right at the top until they fell foul of their megalomaniacal, paranoid Chairman of the Board, David Miscavige.

I have read some of L. Ron Hubbard's books out of curiosity and outright dismissed them as utter nonsense. Yet here are all these people trapped in what is probably THE most oppressive and destructive cult of modern times.

I had no idea the way the cult controlled its members ran so parallel with the the bOrg.

They also practice disfellowshipping but it's called "disconnecting" and the results are identical.

They have apostates but call them "Suppressive persons" and are treated identically.

If you think the JW cult is harsh, watch this documentary- Scientology is brutal with actual prisons and re-education camps, physical torture - the whole shebang. After you leave you aren't just shunned, you're blackmailed, stalked, smeared and sometimes even assaulted.

There is some great footage from both clandestine footage confiscated by the authorities and some old interviews with the crook-liar L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of Scientology.

This documentary will astound you, I promise!

I wish one as good would be done about the bOrg ....

• Half banana
    Half banana
    Would like to see this SSC...it looks like scary cults are not the flavour of the day.
  • Simon
    Simon

I saw it, holy crap - Scientology is all that the WTS is and way, way more.

It actually makes the WTS look like a sleepy old established religion. Yes, they are a cult but not quite in the same league.

It just shows that no matter how ridiculous or outlandish the beliefs and practices there will be someone, somewhere that will believe it, And if you give some people power it is a very, very dangerous thing.

Interesting too that the same pattern happened as most cults / new age religions:

There is a whacky but possibly sincere founder who seems to genuinely believe they have found something new and had some moderate success.

One they pass on, the group is taken over my a more enigmatic leader who seizes power and drives the organization to become more profitable and controlling.

To be honest, I doubt any expose of the WTS would ever be quite as gripping or shocking which is the problem we face. Is there public clamoring for Scientology to be squashed by the general population despite the information about them? No - it's simply a curiosity to most. The WTS is more like the Mormons and I think we put too much faith in media attention sometimes.

• John Aquila
    John Aquila
    Simon

It just shows that no matter how ridiculous or outlandish the beliefs and practices there will be someone, somewhere that will believe it,

Where do this people come from????? How does society even function with these people that are swayed to believe anything.

And if you give some people power it is a very, very dangerous thing.

That's how Hitler gained power. You get a crazy guy to convince a large group of people that can be swayed to believe anything and then we have a problem. Then the people that can think and reason, have hard time trying to get rid of him and his followers. In the end, a lot of causalities.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

I haven't had the opportunity to watch Going Clear yet. It is on my list of "to watch".

But, I did watch The Master not long ago. It is a movie that is somewhat based on L. Ron Hubbard and the start of Scientology. I had a difficult time watching it through all at once - it took me three sittings. I found the movie to be quite disturbing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1560747/

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Like I keep saying, the LDS is the WTS's nicer but weirder older cousin...

...whilst Scientology is its younger, meaner, and way crazier mirror-universe cousin.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Just finished watching "Going Clear" with my wife.

For the first 1:15, the similarities between JWs and Scientlogy are there, but sparse. That's some crazy shit!

Then, for the last 45 min or so, it's just one after another. . . . . yup. . .. right. . . . yes. . . . mmm hmmmm . ..

Watch this movie!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit