How accurate are the bombs?

by Simon 20 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon

A lot has been been made of the accuracy of the weapons and they have been extremely impressive.

We're told that they are acurate down to a few feet and we've seen footage of buildings being destroyed. Whether they are the right buildings (the ones they were aiming at )or not, we don't yet know.

Now, how far off would a missile have to be from it's target in Bahgdad to be classed as inaccurate?

10 yards?

100 yards

1km

100km?

How about ...

TURKEY !!

http://www.msnbc.com/news/870749_asp.htm

U.S. military officials told NBC News that two Tomahawk cruise missiles had misfired and landed in Turkey. The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the missiles landed in an unpopulated area and that the incident was under investigation.

Maybe Turkey was right to not want missiles flying over !

In the same article, one also hit a Syrian bus full of people.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

i think they do it on purpose for a laugh! perhaps not for them but for us.

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Simon, the one that hit the bus was targeted for a bridge and the bus got there after the bomb was released. Talk about bad timing......

The cruise missles obvioulsy malfuntioned.

Well weve come along way from the V-2s.

Thank the Germans.

• Simon
    Simon

I must admit, I had to re-read it when I first saw it: "That's didn't say Turkey? .... it did!"

• Simon
    Simon

I think the "accurate bombing" ... "no civilians will be harmed" is largely for our benefit (well, for public opinion).

They cost $1m+ a time so they are not going to keep up with them indefinitely.

Apparently, the British are now firing heavy artilliary into the town of Basra. So much for the surgical strikes (unless artilliary shells now have GPS on them)

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

Like performing heart surgery, with a hammer.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

artillary shells, from what i can remember have an acuracy of about 10 feet or 10 meters, from what range i cant remember. i'll check it out.

• Valis
    Valis

Simon...the artillery and carpet bombing by B 52's was on Iraqi positions not located in city areas...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Valis
    Valis

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• rem
    rem

Unfortunately, if it's true that the Russians have sold the Iraqi's radar and GPS jamming equipment, some of the US precision bombing may be thwarted and more innocent civillians may lose their lives.

rem

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit