Article: D.C. Attorney general proposes making clergy ‘mandated reporters’ of abuse

by AndersonsInfo 11 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/dc-attorney-general-proposes-making-clergy-mandated-reporters-of-abuse/2019/01/23/2a8f8f72-1f35-11e9-9145-3f74070bbdb9_story.html?utm_term=.1c7f810d688b

D.C. attorney general proposes making clergy ‘mandated reporters’ of abuse

D.C. Attorney General Karl A. Racine is proposing legislation to add clergy to the list of “mandatory reporters” who must tell authorities about suspected child abuse or neglect, the latest fallout from a growing clergy sexual-abuse scandal in the Catholic Church.

If the bill is approved by the D.C. Council and Mayor Muriel E. Bowser (D), pastors, rabbis and other clergy would be required to report suspected abuse to police or to the Child and Family Services Agency, as well as the leaders and boards of directors of their own religious institutions.

Racine’s bill also would increase penalties for failing to report abuse and require all mandatory reporters — clergy, teachers, health-care workers and others — to attend training on their responsibilities under the law.

Mandatory reporters would face fines of as much as $2,500 and 180 days in jail upon the first failure to report. Survivor advocates have said training and penalties are an important part of making such requirements effective.

READ MORE: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/dc-attorney-general-proposes-making-clergy-mandated-reporters-of-abuse/2019/01/23/2a8f8f72-1f35-11e9-9145-3f74070bbdb9_story.html?utm_term=.1c7f810d688b

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

It's amazing that this is not already required in every State.

• Della Street
    Della Street

JWs flip flop about being clergy or not. They claim the confidentiality when it is serves them, and they distance themselves from it when it is in their best interest.

How can that be dealt with? Do JW elders in states where they are mandatory reporters realize that is the category they fall into and that is their responsibility?

• Spiral
    Spiral

@DellaStreet, I am wondering the same thing. I also think a lot of elders do not understand they can have personal liability. Those who do will try hard not to "see" anything if they think they could be held responsible.

• LV101
    LV101

Watch the JW thugs skate around this. Should be required of any church hierarchy and about time the laws start protecting the innocent in the name of religious crazy.

Thanks, Barbara. I know you're doing everything possible to protect children and you are to be commended above and beyond.

• zeb
    zeb

Thus far in Australia the wt has got around signing up to the National Redress Scheme. They seem to have charmed their way around the fed minister to avoid signing up well they will doubtless pull the same trick on this one.

Clergy or non clergy that is the question. I can see a wt mag coming out on this one... or will they?

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

This will mean big trouble for the watchtower corporation, when it becomes law, lawsuits will increase exponentially even if the comply. The implications are tremendous if you ask me.

• Della Street
    Della Street

Since all members of JWs are considered ministers, they should all be mandatory reporters. And I'd like to see anyone with a title (men and women) screened through background checks just like is done at schools or any other volunteer organization that works with vulnerable populations.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Clergy of whatever denomination should be mandated to report abuse whether it be sexual or physical abuse against minors or adults ,including domestic violence in the home and for that matter any crime that has been committed by a confessor to a clergyman .Elder ,Pastor or any other person who has heard of a confession of a crime in a religious setting.

It should be Mandated reporting and penalties applied for not doing so .

It should be a no brainer ?

JW`s claim they have no clergy yet claim clergy penitent privilege in a court of law .? Go figure.

• Biahi
    Biahi

Once a few elders get jail time, things will change, or there won’t be any elders.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit