Who is a real friend?

by googleTTATT 11 Replies latest jw friends

• googleTTATT
    googleTTATT

I'm asking this because when I was a jehovah's witness, I thought I had real friends.

• alanv
    alanv

They most certainly are not true friends. True friends would always allow you to think for yourself and understand you wont agree on everything. As soon as any JW decides to leave the organisation, they are cut off immediately by their former ''good friends''

• stillin
    stillin

That can be tricky. People change. How much latitude will we give each other before we decide that it isn't a friendship that we want?

Then there's the context.

Bosom buddies

Drinking buddies

friend from work

friend from school

friend of a friend

Facebook friend

really, we hear a lot about the Witnesses having to "qualify" their friends, or turning off the friendship when you leave the fold, but that only says something about the level of superficiality. They refer to the whole bunch of themselves as "the friends." Anybody can see that this is an exaggeration.
    I have always felt that friends are few and far between. You have to be one to have one.

Here I go with the cliche's. ;)

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

I've often heard a man's best friend is his dog. On a serious note pets can make great company for the old/ lonely and most defiantly are real friends.

• tor1500
    tor1500

Hi,

A real friend that is a JW doesn't care if you are a JW or not...or a friend that doesn't care if you are a JW or not...

A best friend is someone who knows all your secrets but a better friend is one that goes through it with you...

When you were a JW, you had no example of what a real friend is...As much as we all read the Good Samaritan, we never get the point....your so called spiritual friends may walk by you but you may get help from someone you would never expect...

JW friends are conditional friends...but if you decide to walk away, they drop you like a hot potato, real friends are there through thick and thin and don't judge...

Tor

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Who is a real friend? Someone who will take the bus with you.

“Everyone wants to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down.”~ Oprah

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Thanks for the post. This is a question I should ask myself . Have I been a real friend to all the friends I have had?

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I am a real friends to those I consider my friends, and to some who are not too.

• googleTTATT
    googleTTATT

Sometimes it is hard to know who is a real friend or a fake friend.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/family/teenagers/whiteboard-animations/whats-a-real-friend/

Here you go.... (however, the irony and hypocrisy is of course mind blowing, especially when they say that a real friend doesn't expect you to think the same or same opinions....)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit