Newly discovered Dead Sea Scrolls with the tetragrammaton within the Greek text

by dropoffyourkeylee 29 Replies latest watchtower bible

• menrov
    menrov

I have heard it as well. Bit surprised it gets so much attention. What I find strange is:

- the caves were/are most difficult to get into. It is said, the caves were used by the people fleeing. Is this the most logical place to go to? And would you take scrolls?

- I saw a footages from people in the caves. How did the camera man/men get there?

- I have seen some so-called proof of the find. As the fragments in the US Bible Museum turned out to be fake, the photo share in the news do not say much. It is always covered with a lot of secrecy. I still do not understand why.

All in all, I am skeptical and have my doubts here. Also, why mentioning that name of God is in Hebrew very small fragments found. Why is such a comment relevant as part of the press release to the world?

And though we are only allowed to see vague pictures of the texts, why not show at least a copy of the so-called name in Hebrew? Have they already analyzed the fragments? if I am not wrong, it took many years to analyse the first discovered fragments 60 years ago. And now it seems they already know a lot in a short time. Peculiar.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I think we are right to be cautious menrov, such Ancient Texts are valuable, and well worth faking, as those who conned the U.S Bible Museum found to their profit !

It will be interesting to see what experts in such texts make of this find. And I will be checking who these "Experts" are ! To give true Provenance to the texts would be a good thing, but to wheel out so-called experts just to make them appear genuine, will be a Con !

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

HowTheBibleWasCreated:

BTW the chart of Jeremiah can be explained away as two traditions Hellenistic periods.

Yes, variations in texts can be explained in various ways. But none of them justify superstitious claims of 'inspiration'.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Another article from March 16

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/dead-sea-scrolls-discoveries-are-first-ancient-bible-texts-be-n1261182

The article quotes someone who states that the wording of one of the texts in Nahum "differ slightly from other Bible versions, shedding a rare light on how biblical text changed over time from its earliest form."

Always curious about such things, here is a quick comparison:

Nahum 1:5–6 from the newly discovered text: "The mountains quake because of Him, And the hills melt. The earth heaves before Him, The world and all that dwell therein. Who can stand before His wrath? Who can resist His fury? His anger pours out like fire, and rocks are shattered because of Him."

American Standard Version: "The mountains quake at him, and the hills melt; and the earth is upheaved at his presence, yea, the world, and all that dwell therein. Who can stand before his indignation? and who can abide in the fierceness of his anger? his wrath is poured out like fire, and the rocks are broken asunder by him."

I'm struggling a bit to see what the guy is talking about. Maybe a word-by-word comparison with the Greek LXX would be more informative.

• Overrated
    Overrated

Will Watchtower change some of it's teaches if these scrolls alter the bible as we know it now?

• Steel
    Steel

I thought all the dead sea scrolls were in Hebrew and thus should include the tetragramaton ?

I really don't know much about if.

• Fadeaway1962
    Fadeaway1962

They also found a 6000 year old mummified skeleton of a child ,and a 10,500 year old basket kept in tact , preserved because of hot ,arid environment.(why could god not have preserved the original copy of these scrolls if so important to mankind so as to stop any confusion about the meaning)

My JW family have mentioned about yhwh being found in these scrolls , but fail to accept the other things that were found preserved which are in conflict with their beliefs,are excited about a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a word in these scrolls.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Most of the DSS are in Hebrew but not all.

The fragments announced a few days ago look very similar (or might even be part of?) the earlier Greek minor prophets scroll found at the Dead Sea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_Minor_Prophets_Scroll_from_Nahal_Hever

The first thing to do might be to check if there is any overlap in texts between the two finds. The recent discovery looks much more fragmentary, so it may be a challenge to work it all out.

I don’t think this single find adds very much in the way of the debate on the divine name . It does underline once again that practice among Jews was to include the divine name in their texts in one form or another, and it’s a fair conclusion that the first Christians probably did as well.

I wish they would explore all such caves as a matter of urgency.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

To me the most significant thing about this story is that there is still stuff out there to discover. Astounding. It's been 60 years since the last scrolls or fragments were found and something else was found, and there may be more. Keep looters away and search and professionally excavate any remaining caves.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" It does underline once again that practice among Jews was to include the divine name in their texts in one form or another, and it’s a fair conclusion that the first Christians probably did as well."

Possibly and more than likely they would follow the example of the Text they were quoting, so if a first century Copy of the Septuagint is found with the divine name in that would be conclusive proof, I doubt the N.T writers were using Centuries old Copies.

It would still not be proof that they early Christians pronounced the name aloud. More than likely they used the word in their language that equates to "Lord".

JW's have NO PROOF or Basis for their practice of saying Jehovah this and Jehovah that at every opportunity. Nor can they say that the Divine Name would even have been written elsewhere in N.T Texts than in quotes from the Septuagint. That is mere opinion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit