WT-CD 2001 Missing the Babylon the Great Book

by blondie 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• blondie
    blondie

I was putting away the books that are on the CD and lo and behold the BTG book is no longer on the disk. It is on the WT-CD 1999 but not the 2001. I wonder why?

Blondie

• jgnat
    jgnat

Maybe a book-burning is in the works. Do you think the value of Babylon the Great book on Ebay will go up once this comes to "light"?

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Actually, I had wondered why it showed up on the earlier editions of the CD-ROM, since it was essentially replaced by the Revelation book in 1988. I assumed thay had kept it on the CD because of all the historical info in the first half of the book, which was not repeated in the Revelation book, but I guess that info has also now passed into the realm of "old light". Or maybe it was some conflict between the Babylon and Revelation books on the interpretation of certain verses in Revelation. Or, maybe they're just running out of disk space and had to add the latest pubs?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

It certainly was not an issue of disk space. The entire 2001 CD occupies only about 230 MB. A CD is capable of holding 700 MB. Each pulbication occupies only a small about of space. The Revelation Book, for example, occupies only about 382 KB.

I think what happened is too many people were doing a Side-By-Side comparison of the Babylon book and the Revelation book... this, of course, was resulting in far too many questions by “honest hearted students” that they could not answer.

• minimus
    minimus

Next, we'll find the Bible missing. 40 year old books, then centuries old ones later.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Yep, it is just a matter of time before they rule parts of the bible as "apostate" and not "in line with current light".

All they would have to do is point out that the Catholic Church, around the year 300, compiled the current cannon of 60 books. Clearly the apostasy was under way by then and therefore the current bible cannon is a product of that apostasy.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Blondie,

You are mistaken. The WTBTS never published a book titled Babylon the Great.

Please destroy your 1999 Watchtower CD-Rom.

We hope this serves to clarify this matter.

Sincerely,

Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    You are mistaken. The WTBTS never published a book titled Babylon the Great.

Oceania was at war with Eurasia. Oceania had always been at war with Eurasia...

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

Elsewhere,

They could probably do that, easilly. It would depend if they could find an adequate way to twist the book up to meet their current teachings without making too many holes in the quilt of their theology. It would probably have to be a book they didnt refer to, too often in the recent past so as not to require to many new editions of books.

I would think perhaps that Song of Solomon might be first to go. which is a shame as its one my favoite bits of Judeo-Christian literature. I dont think the JWs have ever been overly happy about having what is basically an erotic interracial love poem in the book. They have managed to wrangle out a very difficult analogy out of it though, and so far they are sticking to its canonicity. For that matter they could suddenly decide to put a book of the bible BACK IN to the cannon like Maccabees or Gospel of Thomas, but i think for the JWs right now, less is more. In any case they would have to come up with another version of All Scripture is Inspired of God book, which has been done before.

• Olympiad
    Olympiad

I believe the real reason for removing the book is because it provides a wealth of information regarding the Neo-Babylonian period. You can in fact use this one publication to discredit the Societies erroneous date of

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit