My Story 2.0

by James Jack 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• James Jack
  • Biahi
    Biahi

Funny, no matter where you are, in the US, or anywhere in the world, these elder stories run the same themes. Because their problems are the whole organization, not just one “rogue” happening. They need a serious reset, or they will continue to bleed members. 😀 Great interview!

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

Yes. Very low attendance on recent CO visit - even on Zoom where they can play war games, eat pizza, not have the camera on and not pay any attention.

People aren't even bothering to pretend to attend by sticking their mobile device in the fridge or the toilet.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Just caught this video and enjoyed listening while doing the laundry. (My tablet is magnetic so I safely set it on top of the dryer where it stuck fast. Neat trick.)

One thing I've gathered after listening to this and other elders who spill "secrets:" elders can be big bullies, but like most bullies, they will back down if confronted. The person will then be labeled as not having the right "heart condition."

I've never attracted bullies, and I've never attracted counsel from any elders. In fact, I have a story of an interaction that I ended very quickly.

It was during the quick build of our new Kingdom hall in the late 80s. I was working and the conversation turned to labor unions for some reason. When I asked what the problem was with them, an elder told me that no publisher could remain in good standing and be a member of a labor union.

"That's funny," I said. "My father is an elder and has been a member of a labor union for twenty years."

And that was the end of that conversation. I never heard anything else about it. My father remained an elder.

I don't know what that guy's problem was. It was like he enjoyed being a pompous asshole, but he didn't know that I knew the real story. Dude, I was a teenager, but knew every bit of doctrine. I was a good student, too, and smart, and would eventually go on to get my Bachelor's degree.

People are always underestimating my intelligence. Maybe because my dad was a blue collar worker and I fit in there. My husband is a blue collar worker. Even now, I do a lot of code switching. I can talk shit and really get along with the physical laboring crowd, but then I can turn around and speak perfect "Broadcaster" English with the white collar crowd. I guess that confuses people.

Anyhow, I like that rooster picture you have on the wall. It looks good with the wall color, and your blue shirt really stands out against the wall as well. Great set design!

• James Jack
    James Jack

The Set design was all by accident. In my first video, my wife got pissed that I showed 20 year old used blinders. So I just turned the camera just to the right.

• S0ShowdidIgethere
    S0ShowdidIgethere

In this video you talked about how to fade as a man in the congregation. Any advice for women?

In the past few months I've had my eyes opened and I really know that I need to plan my exit strategy. In the long run, I'm almost positive it will be a divorce and rebuilding my life. But for right now, just getting through the meetings is progressively becoming more difficult.

Do you think there's a way to take myself off the Ministry School and not have to give parts - without rocking the boat?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

SOShowdidigethere, the School is all voluntary. I can't tell you how to not rock the boat, but as a former school overseer, I knew that many members would not participate in the parts, or would only do it if they used their teen daughter or best friend as their "householder."

I suggest you just blow off your talk assignments. Just don't be there. Eventually, some elder will talk to you about it. Tell him you try but you just cannot do the parts anymore- "Please take me off the school." Don't take NO for an answer. As far as rocking the boat, just tell your spouse or parent (or whoever is concerned) that you just cannot do the public speaking thing anymore since ZOOM started. Tell them there are others who are not on the school. Even if you know, don't offer names. Stay off that school.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

@onthewayout: some congregations aren’t quite as lenient. If you’re not in the school, something must be wrong with you, your family members can’t get promotions or positions. And once you get the scrutiny of some elders you’ll be marked as weak and even get the CO to do personal shepherding visit, refusing that is just further proof that you may be an apostate and it may be hard to successfully fade or keep your cool about your beliefs.

• James Jack
    James Jack

I started telling fellow witnesses that I was heartbroken because I was supposed to grow this old in this system of things. I told the brothers I needed a break in giving parts because I’m overwhelmed right now with work, and hurt feelings. Then, I just started missing meetings and when they text me about my time I told them I didn’t have any court. I wouldn’t take their calls, just texted them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit