Why the war with Iraq is completely LEGAL!

by dolphman 21 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon
    To appease weak minded people who don't have the guts to deal with the situation rationaly and decisively. We tried bringing an international consensus, but the fact is people are to blinded by fear to deal with the reality of what has to be done.

Colin Powell should be given a medal for putting up with that circus known as the UN. He did a great job. But as you can see, people are much more willing to appease a dictator than face the reality of enforcing their own resolutions.

Calling everyone who objects to you viewpoint "weak minded people" is insulting and shows a real weak argument IMHO.

Consensus? ... "Do as we say or we'll do it anyway" more-like.

Wanting to do things peacefully, without destruction and loss of life is not being "blinded by fear".

Colin Powell and his chums should have been thrown out for having the gaul to present the phoney faked evidence they did and trying to commit fraud.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Simon:

Hitting my posting limit......

Any one can see I am not hitting and running.

I have rebutted your claims that the US was not first in dollars in Aid. I used your charts. You changed your claim to well, it is still not enough $$$. You morph your claims to the point that I get tired chasing them.

Yes, a list of Nations have been posted here before, I will re-post it, if you don’t accuse me of spamming!

Do the math:

Weak arguments + weak facts = weak-minded lol

• ThiChi
    ThiChi
    Australia

… Prime Minister John Howard said he would commit 2,000 military personnel to join in a war against Iraq. … "This government has taken a decision which it genuinely believes is in the medium- and longer-term interests of this country," Howard said. (AP 3/18)
    Germany (CDU/CSU Opposition Parties)
    Unlike Schröder, Germany's major opposition parties endorsed the course set by Bush. "We regret that the use of military force has become more likely and that the U.N. Security Council was unable to reach a unified position on the question of completely and unconditionally disarming Iraq, even though it unanimously determined that a threat to world peace existed," a statement said. The statement was passed on (March 18) with only four negative votes by the combined parliamentary groups of the Christian Democratic Union and its Bavarian sister party, the Christian Social Union. (Deutsche Welle 3/19)
    Italy
    Foreign Minister Franco Frattini, in a newspaper interview to be published (March 18), said that the government would ask Parliament to endorse "the minimum base of logistical support, in particular, the use of bases and flying through air space." Frattini, interviewed by the daily Il Riformista, said Italy made it clear early on to the Americans that it would not contribute troops to any armed intervention against Iraq. "Not because we doubted the (Security Council) Resolution 1441 isn't sufficient to provide a legal basis" of forced disarmament of Iraq, Frattini said, according to interview excerpts released March 17. "But because Italy's commitment toward peace has been traditionally distinguished by its capacity to contribute to peacekeeping operations." (AP 3/17)
    Japan

Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi said Japan supports the U.S. position on Iraq and believes the use of force can be justified by existing U.N. resolutions, although there is still a chance for peace. "President Bush has made various efforts to gain international cooperation," Koizumi told reporters. "Amid such efforts, I believe it was an unavoidable decision," he said, referring to President George W. Bush's ultimatum for Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein to flee his country in 48 hours or face an invasion. "I support the U.S. stance," he said. The prime minister said hope of a peaceful end to the crisis is not dead but depends on Saddam Hussein. "Although extremely limited, I believe peaceful solutions can still be found. But it is solely up to the government of Iraq and President Hussein," Koizumi said. (AFX 3/18)
    Korea
    "We share the statement made by my British colleague. Resolution 1441 was quite clear. In Paragraph 4, it established, in a nonequivocal way, that any false statement or omission or the sheer fact of not cooperating fully would constitute a further material breach. We believe that the government of Iraq was given a last opportunity and it has squandered it."
    Latvia
    Similar pro-U.S. support was voiced in neighbouring Latvia, which along with Lithuania and eight other eastern European countries last month signed a declaration lining up behind Washington. "The diplomatic means to reach the disarmament of Iraq are almost exhausted," the Latvian foreign ministry said, adding that Baghdad was only offering some cooperation because of the large military build-up in the Persian Gulf. "Latvia urges the U.N. Security Council and international community to preserve unity and put maximal pressure on Saddam Hussein's regime. It is the only remaining opportunity to disarm Iraq by peaceful means," it said in a statement. (AFP 3/17)
    Lithuania
    "We are for a diplomatic solution of the crisis, but if needed we shall politically support the United States using other means," Lithuanian Defence Minister Linas Linkevicius told reporters after the country's defence council met. "It is clear that the scope for a peaceful dialogue is diminishing," he said, after the meeting of the council, which groups the president, prime minister, parliamentary speaker, defence minister and head of the army. (AFP 3/17)
    Philippines
    Philippines foreign affairs undersecretary Lauro Baja said Manila was among the 30 countries that have openly backed Washington …. Baja, who is representing Philippines Foreign Minister Blas Ople, said Manila "perceives there is a failure of the U.N. to act. Our national interest also dictates that we support a method which will really disarm Iraq and perhaps promote a safer and more stable Middle East region where we have 1.5 million workers," he said.
    Poland
    Polish President Aleksander Kwasniewski said late on March 17 he had agreed to send up to 200 Polish soldiers to Iraq to join a posible-U.S.-led campaign to dissarm Saddam Hussein. "We are prepared to use the Polish military continent to force Iraq to respect U.N. Security Council resolution 1441," Kwasniewski told a joint news conference with Prime Minister Leszek Miller. He said the Polish troops would would lend logistical support to U.S. forces in Iraq in the region for a period limited from March 19 to September 15, he said. … Kwasniewski's announcement, which came following a meeting with his prime minister, came shortly before a speech to the nation by U.S. President George W. Bush on Iraq. (AFP 3/18)
    Romania

Iraqi leader Saddam Husayn will have to choose between abandoning power and fully complying with Resolution 1441 of the U.N. Security Council, or facing a war, Romanian head of state Ion Iliescu said March 17 in Oltenita, southern Romania.

Iliescu pointed out that talks within U.N. Security Council on the crisis on Iraq would be concluded on March 17 or 18, waiting for "the moment of truth". Asked whether Romania would still support a military intervention in Iraq in the absence of a second U.N. resolution, Iliescu answered that the issue was not about actual support: "It's not about supporting an intervention as we don't even have the means to do it, it's about meeting certain obligations as allies."

To this end, said Iliescu, Romania has opened its airspace to ally planes, provided the ally troops with ground logistics support, and contributed post-conflict and non-combatant military troops for humanitarian missions. (Rompres news agency, Bucharest, in English 3/17, as monitored by the BBC)

Taiwan
    Taiwan supports U.S. call for Iraq President Saddam Hussein to go into exile within 48 hours to avert a war, but offered its air space to U.S. military planes should war become inevitable, foreign ministry officials said. (Foreign) Ministry spokesman Richard Shih said Taiwan hopes "Iraq would swiftly destroy their weapons of mass destruction in abiding by the U.N. 1441 Resolution, and Saddam would leave his country in 48 hours if he is to avert war." Taiwan also reiterated its support of U.S. anti-terrorism efforts. "Therefore U.S. military aircraft could fly from Japan through Taiwan's two air routes -- one called A-1 to the west of Taiwan and the other G581 to the east -- en route to Southeast Asia and the Middle East," defense ministry spokesman Huang Suey-sheng told reporters. He said a special defense ministry task force is on stand by in case war should start. (source: AFX 3/18)

France is a pipsqueak compared to other Nations of the world..... Simon, I thought you were for the "little" nations?

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

"Wanting to do things peacefully, without destruction and loss of life is not being "blinded by"

fear".

In theory, who would not agree? But what if appeasement does not faze evil? What if they just use you to their ends? Like Hitler and now Sadman Insane for over 12 years?

There comes a time when you should not make peace with the Devil....or support Hell on earth.

Simon, you are good hearted and I respect you. However, history and life proves what really goes on in this world.......

• dolphman
    dolphman
    Calling everyone who objects to you viewpoint "weak minded people" is insulting and shows a real weak argument IMHO.

Consensus? ... "Do as we say or we'll do it anyway" more-like.

well simon, some people who object to the facts are "weak minded". That's the reality. It's not a weak argument. It's simply reality.

"Do as we say or we'll do it anyway" ....obviously thats the only way to get people's attention. That kind of conversation did get inspectors back into Iraq after 4 years, did it not?

Powell's fake evidence? We'll see soon enough

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

""That was totally different. We weren't "helping the US" ... we were already in it and fighting for years before you showed up. Over here, it's the 1939 - 1945 war ...""

What nerve and arrogance ! Hey, tell that one to the Kuwaiti people......

Over here, it’s the 1991 - 2003 war....

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

I think he was talking about WWII. England was being bombed in 1939, we didn't enter the war fully until 1942, having declared war on Germany, Italy and Japan in December 1941. But the point of the original statement is that the current war has more countries working together thn we have seen since World War II, although actually I think there were about 10 more countries who helped us in the 1991 Gulf War than are helping with this one.

The point is that this is not unilateral, and just because the French, Germans and Russians don't support us doesn't mean that we are going it alone. I think part of what we are seeing is the formation of a new sort of world alliance and it is good to see the recent democracies of Eastern Europe helping in this effort, it seems these countries have not forgotten what it meant to live under totalitarian dictatorships and the threat to world peace that they represent.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Simon::

Your statement begs the question: What does that have to do with other Nations assisting the US? What about the Kuwaiti viewpoint? Does that mean anything less? In the thirties, appeasement did not work.....how about in 2003?

• Simon
  • Simon
    Simon

BTW: I've searched and searched but cannot find a list of these countries that are supporting the USA ...

According to the BBC, the list contains some very small countries indeed - small pacific island etc... so comparing the number for Gulf War I with countries like Germany and Russia is hardly fair.

Also, most of the support is in spirit only (and words are cheap).

Furthermore, and this is a killer, some of the support is for things like 'overflights' only. Turkey is such a country. ... but wait, so is FRANCE ! So, France is one of the countries supporting the USA war effort ... and yet, even by the USA's admission, must be counted as one of the staunchest opponents.

"Don't believe half of what you hear and none of what you read" (I can't remember where that's from ... maybe a Dylan song)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit