Jehovah’s witnesses and compulsory voting in Australia.

by Longlivetherenegades 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Longlivetherenegades
    Longlivetherenegades

What do Jehovah’s witnesses do during election period in Australia? I learnt voting is compulsory in Australia and those who choose not to vote are fined.

Do Jehovah’s witnesses pay such fines?

Do Jehovah’s witnesses pay to Satan's organisation in order not to show support or vote for Satan's organisation?

• hoser
    hoser

Australia going to the voting booth ok. Not in Malawi though. Malawi jws had to take beatings.

• NonCoinCollector
    NonCoinCollector

I believe that compulsory voting is wrong. Nobody should be forced to vote. That said maybe the JW could turn in a blank ballot. It still sickens me that Watchtower made martyrs out of their followers in Malawi.

• Simon
    Simon

Yeah, it's stupid to not simply conspire with someone to negate your votes by each voting for a different candidate.

It achieves the exact same thing in terms of being neutral, but without breaking any laws.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Dubs in Australia are issued a failure to vote notice after an election and required to respond by either paying a fine or stating their reason for not voting. They are instructed to complete a reason on the form which usually goes along the lines of having given their allegiance to Christ’s Kingdom and being neutral to human affairs.

They post their forms back to the Electoral Commission and no more is heard.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

usually goes along the lines of having given their allegiance to Christ’s Kingdom and being neutral to human affairs.

They post their forms back to the Electoral Commission and no more is heard.

Yes that is what I and my wife did for many years as there are legitimate excuses that can be given and one is objection on religious grounds.

I also believe that some would go to a polling booth on voting day write on the form some scripture and place that in the box.

That way the Govt. wouldn`t know they were a religious nut.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

For me voting has largely become a burden and tiresome. It is not the fun I thought it would be when I became a registered voter about 14 years ago. For example, my voters' pamphlet for the upcoming primary lists 9 Democratic party candidates for state Governor and 14 Republican Party Candidates for state Governor! Granted, for the governor's race I can only vote for my party's candidates in the upcoming primary, but I am someone who when voting takes voting seriously and thus carefully evaluates all of the candidates and ballot measures which I am entitled to vote on. That is a huge burden for me.

For the governor's race only one of the candidates is someone I already know and I believe that candidate will win the party primary (unless he/she makes a major mistake), but I don't want to automatically vote for that candidate. I believe that if I vote for governor I should seriously consider all of the other candidates of the party I am a member of, but doing such seriously is a lot of work.

I am thinking of not casting a vote in the partisan races and only voting in the nonpartisan races and on the ballot measures.

• Longlivetherenegades
    Longlivetherenegades
    Thanks for the information and knowledge shared so far.
  • WTWizard
    WTWizard

Voting should be allowed, but of course the jokehovians will think of anyone that gives in and votes under mandatory voting as "spiritually weak" or even as "brazen conduct" to avoid directly disfellowshipping anyone for voting. Every legal citizen should be allowed to cast one vote. I would view it as wrong to rig the election, say so communism and tyranny can rule--to the point where anyone pushing communism in this way is an enemy to the state and deserves the death penalty for high treason. (Especially at the levels that it has been happening in France, Italy, Germany, Canada, and the United Tyranny of Stupidity as of late.

But, making voting mandatory is just as bad. In light of what happened in the above countries where the majority of people voted for freedom only to have their votes thrown out and votes for tyranny fabricated, voting has become a useless exercise. Anyone opposing tyranny is seen as the enemy, and votes for freedom are drowned out or "lost". And this should not be seen as a chance for the washtowel to crack down on voting--itself a form of manipulating the election. Preventing legal citizens from voting prevents them from voting for freedom instead of tyranny.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

Ozziepost has answered the question, and I 100% agree. It seems this question comes up each time there is an election in Australia.

But, making voting mandatory is just as bad.

i disagree. Firstly, because it makes people at least think about how they are governed and who governs them. Secondly, because anyone who really doesn’t want to cast a ballot can just submit a blank ballot (and as someone who as both counted and scrutineered elections, I can confirm that a small % of votes at every election are blank). Thirdly, Australia is blessed with lots of relatively sensible middle of the road candidates at every election because compulsory voting means every politician has to try to appeal to a portion of the middle ground because under compulsory voting, a tactic of appealing to nut jobs and winding them up with fear/outrage etc, will never work.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit