Annulment of baptism for a minor?

by Tornintwo 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Tornintwo
    Tornintwo

I've seen references to baptism annulment on a few websites, does anyone know if there has ever been a successful annulment of a baptism?

Eg. A minor claims they didn't understand a key WTBTS teaching prior to baptism, is there any realistic chance of annulment?

• maksutov
    maksutov
    I think they would only consider that if the person wants to be re-baptised (even then, they don't like doing it). As far as I am aware though, they have never issued annulments for those who want to leave.
  • Awake at last
    Awake at last
    The only case I ever knew of was in the 1980's a woman studied who had had a mental breakdown. One elder did not want her baptised but was overridden by the others. A while later she had a blood transfusion and had no idea of having done anything wrong. The kind elder who originally discouraged the baptism announced an annulment for her. She never returned to the meetings.
  • Calebs Airplane
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

A dunked duck.

• LaurenM
    LaurenM
    I wish I could annul mine. I was only 12 and only got baptized because my sister did. I definitely regret it now.
  • blondie
    blondie
    If parents both have custody and are divorced, a court can have ii in the court order that the child cannot be baptized until they are 18...but the jw parent usually sneaks about and sees the child gets baptized and keeps it secret. Get the baptism annulled would be harder...younger children get baptized under 18 (not the baby baptism) in many Christian religions. You would need to get info about thoses cases that succeeded in an annulment and find a lawyer willing to take it on. Just my experience.
  • OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    On jwfacts, I think Paul stated that his aunt was able to get an annulment. It's probably not common, and they will use any excuse they can to deny the request. If you've held any position (pioneer, MS, bethelite, etc) since your 18th birthday they'll claim that this was a reaffirmation of your dedication/baptism once you were of legal age.
  • DarioKehl
    DarioKehl
    Not a chance. They don't have new initiates go through 150 question interrogations for nothing. All they have to say is "how did they qualify after the heavy screening process if they 'didn't know' what they were gettin in to?"
  • kramer
    kramer
    The concept of an annulment is ridiculous, if 20 years ago you verbally agreed to dedicate your life to the creator and the W&BTS , but now have changed your mind, so what, what's the point of asking the organisation for permission to change your mind and ask for their grace to agree an annulment??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit