Is the Watchtower Sterile Seed?

by jgnat 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jgnat
    jgnat

WT February 1 Keep Bearing Much Fruit study March 23, 2003

In the WT world, Love is a completed time card.

The first two paragraphs start great. “I am the vine, you are the branches...“(John 15:5), but the article quickly degrades. Union with Christ is turned around to

Unity , (para. 3) which turns around again to the burden of obligation. A Christian well plugged in to his Life Source has no trouble bearing the fruit of love, kindness, gentleness, etc. etc. It flows naturally out of the generosity poured in to his life. Here is how the WT turns it around, para. 4 ...all disciples are required to bear fruit but also that all are capable of doing so, no matter what their circumstances or limitations may be. para. 5 .. within the limits of our circumstances, we must make room for growth in our activities as a disciple . Lip service is given to Galatians 5:22,23, but the article quickly focuses in on one activity - Literature Distribution.

The most astounding mental gymnastics, however, are reserved for para. 10-11. Here the argument is made that great fruitfulness is not measured by how many disciples are gained, but by how much seed (literature) is distributed. Apparently, it is of no concern that WT seed is sterile.

Para. 10

Jesus’ illustration of the sower and the different types of soil points to the answer - a heartening answer for those who witness in less productive territories...What fruit? Well, after a wheat stalk sprouts and matures, it produces ...not little wheat stalks, but new seed. Likewise, a Christian produces as fruit, not necessarily new disciples, but new Kingdom seed. para. 11 ...Since the seed that is sown is the word of the Kingdom, the fruitage must be a many-fold duplication of that seed.

Excuse me, but I do not know a farmer on this planet who deliberately wastes his seed. If he has rocky soil, he picks rocks. If he has hard soil, he laboriously plows and works the soil. His goal is that every seed sprout and grow. Carelessly strewn seed are an abomination to Jehovah (why do Laundromats come to mind) .

Then Judah said to Onan, Go in to thy brother's wife, and fulfil to her the brother-in-law's duty, and raise up seed to thy brother. But when Onan knew that the seed should not be his own, it came to pass when he went in to his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, in order to give no seed to his brother. And the thing which he did was evil in the sight of Jehovah, and he slew him also. Darby Gen 38:7-10

A better understanding of the various soils is that not every man is ready for the same message at the same time. Some need more practical helps, like a hot meal and a helping hand, before a Christian should ever attempt preaching at him. I maintain that a fruitful Christian, in contrast to a “True Christian (TM)”, will be giving much more tangible evidence of their love than a completed time card.

Click on the whirling seed for some astounding seed record breakers.

• manon
    manon

JG,

Hysterically funny commentary, and just in time for spring.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hysterically funny? Really? Thanks, Manon. And thanks for being the first to respond to my post.

• manon
    manon

JG,

You are being modest. I'm going to quote your funny funny phrases. Thank you.

1. Love is a completed time card.

2. Lip service is given to Galations.

3. The most astounding mental gymnastics.

4. But by how much seed (literature) is distributed. (personal favorite)

5. Seed is sterile.

You are good.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

..."all disciples are required .... no matter what their circumstances or limitations may be. .... we must make room for growth "...

Jgnat, Works works works

Look on the bright side, at least they dont practise "sleep deprivation" on their members.

• rebel
    rebel

This is something that always made me angry. I remember the ones at the literature counter, with their ton-weigth of magazines, smugly looking down at my half-dozen or so.

I get so annoyed when the WTS equates being a good Christian with the amount of literature placed and the amount of hours on field service. They don't think that compassion, love, kindness, tenderness etc matters one jot. You can have someone that is so kind and always has time for others, but if he/she is not putting enough hours in or placing hundreds of mags, they are worthless. In my old congregation, the ones that did the most hours & placed books by the trolley load were not necessarily the nicest people.

xxR

• jgnat
    jgnat

• manon, thank you again. You make me blush.
    • refiners fire, just in case you were wondering, I have noticed the heavy-duty research you have put in lately. I love your "bright side"! LOL.
    • rebel, the proof is in the pudding, hey? A farmer with such an unproductive "seed" (over a thousand magazines placed for a single soul) would have changed production long ago. I bet love, compassion, kindness, etc. would be more effective at reaching our neigbours. Unless the ultimate goal of the WTS is NOT reaching tender and willing hearts, but magazine publishing. Farkel is making more and more sense.
  • JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Thanks for the whirling seed link. Some fascinating stuff there.

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

jgnat very straingt to the point. and how true, i was at the county court today and stepped out for a smoke. well i see this 70 something jw walking by hiding half of his seed ( wt mag) rolled up half under his jacket. , and a bag that was making his frail body hunch over. so i walked along with him and asked . so i see you are wearing your yolk, sure looks heavy!!! then he tells me he is tired and he is 62 years old. i said wow only 62 you look like 75. i guess jehovah has been go to you. at your age you should have been in the new world about 10 times already. but he didn't want to talk. i guess he was just getting his fs time. i didn't have the heart to beat him to much. it was such a sad sight....john

• jgnat
    jgnat

James Thomas - I am always impressed when readers follow my exotic links. I think I could spend all day on that site. It is a good reminder the great variety our world offers. When I was a little girl, I used to pore over a book called "Wild Animals of the World". Once in a while I would grieve over the page reserved for those that were extinct. I was very much older before I realized that this book did not include every type of animal that roams this planet. There are just too many of them. Unity-lock-step-one-seed-only is just not our Creator's style.

Johnny Cip - you might enjoy another quote in the sidebar of this same article, titled "How to 'Bear Fruit With Endurance' ". It is a half dozen quotes from some of the old-timers. "Frankly, the preaching work is a personal struggle for me. Yet, I experienct the truth of the words found at Psalm 18:29: 'By my God I can climb a wall.' " - Gerard, Age 79; baptized 1955. WT February 1, 2003, page 21.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit