Today's WT Paragraph 4

by Slidin Fast 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

But why is it so important for people that won't partake to attend?

So the attendance numbers in the Yearbook report keep growing.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Yup your right DOC

JWs care more about counting numbers than the actual doctrines which they adhere to.

Of course they think they have the proper interpretation of who is to partake and who shouldn't.

A causative result of men who take their own interpretation of the bible over others because they self proclaimed god has chosen them exclusively and solemnly.

• venus
    venus

Jesus says:

'Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles...and all your meetings including the memorial?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’--Mathew 7:22, 23

When someone tells God, “I really love you because my name need to be kept in your “book of remembrance”​—“the book of life” this is not agape, but conditional love, ugly love, because it is based on need which obviously means I would not love you if I don't have any need.

• Teufel
    Teufel

If only the anointed are to partake then only the anointed should turn up. That would skew their stats wouldn't it?

• Half banana
    Half banana

Attendance at the JW memorial benefits no one except boosting the pride of the governing body and their hapless followers.

The objective seems to be to get as many people who can't think for themselves along to one specific meeting. It's a pointless exercise except to be able to brag. Why would anyone else be impressed with the numbers attending? JWs never miss an opportunity to pat themselves on the back.

Why is it wrong? Because the memorial is just another superstition with its roots in folk belief. In fact the "last supper" was borrowed directly from Mithraism from the sacrificial death of the saviour Mithra who was commemorated once a year at the spring equinox by the use of symbolic cakes and wine. And (dare I mention it again) that Mithraism found spiritual strength in the memorial story because human sacrifice was the most potent tribal magic available.

By the time of the Roman empire, they had forbidden literal human sacrifice so religious rituals continued the sentiments of the sacrifice in symbol only, and this was what Christianity borrowed from Mithraism for its own use. Jesus' death was just a cut and paste job. Bamboozle the gullible with 'holy' superstitions and it's only the priesthood (read JW governing body) who truly benefit.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Slidy - Remember, congregation meetings are part of our worship.

Funny. I never noticed the faintest hint of worship at a jobot meeting.

Bums on seats and money in the coffers, lads.

• AverageJoe1
    AverageJoe1

Sci-fi conventions are far more important and unifying. Plus, even Star Wars and Star Trek fans are welcome and can turn up in their respective gear and both are accepted. Each can talk openly about their respective preferences.

Try doing THAT at a Memorial: Share why you prefer your way of worshipping God or Jesus in a Q&A discussion!

Sci-fi conventions for the win, then!

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

That level of emotional blackmail and threat to control members in an otherwise free society is simply disgusting. It is the reason that people trying to break out have such problems with anxiety and guilt.

One of the huge draws for people coming to western nations from oppressive, often religious, regimes is that precious thing, freedom. Yet the WT subjects its followers to life or death threats and they don't recognize the value of what they so cheaply are giving away.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit