I can't believe I'm saying this...

by Gig 16 Replies latest social current

• Gig
    Gig

Dedalus, yep...poor choice of words on my part. And yes again, I suppose I was being abit provocative in opening...you know how I hate starting a thread that only gets 2 replies. Not to get technical but my second statement should have read "I hope even more that IF they're used ineffectively..." and not "I hope even more that they're used ineffectively..." Got me there, I'm the one that should have re-read. I admit it sounded like I still wanted them used and basically restated my first. Sorry 'bout that, I did sound like an id.

Actually I'm not very politically motivated, so it's not egg on the US's face that I care about. It's the international condemnation along with more expectation of terrorism that I'm worried about. This whole thing is supposed to be about international peace and unity. If no WMD's, then the US took themselves out of a trustworthy leadership role and burned some bridges.

Hey friend, your secretary's coffee was fine. And as for justice, well, as much as injustice smarts, it's true justice that really hurts. I feel like I just overdid an all you can eat, but I deserved it. Pals?

• Gig
    Gig

Gitasatsangha, sorry friend, careless choice of words. You and dedalus may not have gotten what I really was trying to say, but you righly pointed out that it was my fault.

I agree that weighing the ads and disads of WMD's for victory is unendingly subjective. I can't argue wholeheartedly one way or the other. And given that human life is at stake, it's all just one more reason (as if we needed one) that war is the horror of horrors.

Again you have my apology. I hope your nephew returns safely, no exceptions.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

Accepted Gig. Sometimes text is an inadequate method of communicating one's thoughts and feelings.

For the record I wasn't for this war. I marched for peace and signed a petition. So I am sort of a half-assed peace supporter. But now that war is here, I want it won.

The truth hopefully will come out after all is over, about the Iraqi WMD program. Weather it does or not I don't know, but I hope Iraq can go back to being the sort of progressive place it was before Saddam took over. Pray to god but keep your powder dry.

• Gig
    Gig

Git, glad we're clear. I agree, sometimes the written word doesn't reflect accurately, but again...my own careless fault in this case.

I wasn't so much against removing Saddam, even if it meant war, but I sure didn't want Bush to go it alone. Blair got it even worse. Really wish we had UN backing, even if not unamimous. But here we sit, reduced to watching and listening. So far the US total is 5, Brits 8 I believe, and it hasn't really even started. Very sad reality. And I think Saddam has already used missles that he wasn't supposed to have - and denied having.

Actually you're right, we're not reduced to watching and listening, think I'll have another chit chat with the Creator. And in fact prayer really is the most we can do.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

Supposedly they launched Al Samoud missles. If they still have Scuds, still, or even Al Husseins, they havn't used them. The Al Samoud is illlegal because the diameter of the solid rocket core was beyond their restrictions, giving it greater range. The Iraqis admitted having them, and were in the process of destroying them when the war started.

Of course the fact that it took 12 years for them to get around is pretty much proof positive Iraq evaded arm's regulations untill the very end. I wanted to make sure that arms inspector's had their chance to work. Howeever if the UN will not honor it's own commitments, because of cheese eating surrender monkeys like the French, it is going to be useless as a means of war arbitration.

• dubla
    dubla
    The better thing would be for the WMD to simply be found. Finding them would prove the same point - that Iraq possessed the stuff in violation of UN resolutions.

the paranoid opposers are already implying that the u.s. will actually plant wmd in iraq, and then "find" them....ridiculous to say the least. i guess you have to grasp at straws when you fear the reality is about to be revealed: hes had them all along, and now you will have to wake up to it.

aa

• Xander
    Xander
    Saddam is a despotic piece of shit

But, the point is, so is EVERY OTHER FRIGGIN DICTATOR IN THE MIDDLE EAST.

If they see us going around bitchslapping their neighbors into the ground on a whim, they will become hostile to us - WHICH WE DON'T WANT.

In order to keep peace while we invade on of their peers, the US has trumped up this argument about Saddam's NBC weapons and how they are a threat to all his neighbor countries.

If we get all the way to Baghdad, set up shop, and don't make any move to leave without FINDING any NBC weapons, can't you see the problem this will cause in the region?

the u.s. will actually plant wmd in iraq, and then "find" them

Which, of course, is why it would be better for him to USE them, but have them used ineffictively. That way, there is incontrovertible proof that he has them and would have used them on his neighbor nations eventually.

Suddenly, the rest of the region goes from hostile-suspicious of US actions to more or less amicable.

Course, I forgot, most of the posters in this thread already have a 'screw the rest of the world, we'll just invade them if they give us trouble' attitude anyway, so the point is mostly moot.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit