Refusing blood transfusion: A free choice?

by StephaneLaliberte 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

This weekend one of my siblings told me that recently someone in their Congregation in Florida, accepted a blood transfusion to save their dying child and there was nothing done about it. Perhaps there was a loophole because it was an unbaptized child who got the blood transfusion. Had the parent accepted the blood for him or herself, there may have been committee action taken. I'm just guessing here but it seems as if anymore, it's getting to be a conscience matter whereas in the past, it definitely wasn't.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Pete Zahut: I don't know about Florida, however, here, in Canada, the parents who say no to a blood transfusion will systematically loose his kid to the court for 24 hours, the time for the blood transfusion to be administered. This procedure has become a standard on which, oddly, the JW parents actually rely on. I have heard JW parents say that they told the hospital to do whatever they wanted to do since they were going to do it anyway.

• steve2
    steve2

in Canada, the parents who say no to a blood transfusion will systematically loose his kid to the court for 24 hours, the time for the blood transfusion to be administered. This procedure has become a standard on which, oddly, the JW parents actually rely on. I have heard JW parents say that they told the hospital to do whatever they wanted to do since they were going to do it anyway.

This exactly parallels what happens in New Zealand. In recent years, there have been at least two high profile cases involving JW children - and in one instance, a baby under 1 years old - and what stood out is the JW parents did not challenge the court rulings and said not a single word against the hospitals that were directed by the Courts to do what was necessary to ensure the children's safety. In these cases the children were given blood, the surgeries were successful and the children thrived. Interestingly, even the elder spokesman commented in a notably even-handed, accepted way about the outcome, something along the lines of, "We cooperate with secular authorities on these matters."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit