The Puma Who Loved "Waltzing Matilda"

by Robdar 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Robdar
    Robdar

I work as a seasonal actress with the Kansas City Zoo. Last year I got quite attached to Ciera, our puma. She was 19 years old and a real sweetheart. She loved the song "Waltzing Matilda" and so I would sing it to her. She always purred her thanks. Yes, big cats can and do purr. A few minutes ago I received a sad email. Ciera has passed away. And so, another that I loved has gone. I will miss her: Robyn,

I wanted to write and let you know that Ciera passed away sometime Saturday night of kidney failure. At the necropsy several calcified cists were found in the lungs and she had several kidney stones along with various other age related problems. It all happened very quickly and she appeared to die peacefully in her sleep. We will all miss her a lot, but I am glad that she does not have to suffer through another summer. True to form she was happy and purring on the very last day.
    Lori.
  • StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Sorry to hear about this.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I feel your pain.

I have a kitten. I shudder to think that someday I will have to say goodbye...

My sympathies.

CZAR

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

You know how I feel about my Felix and I know how attached you become to our feline friends. I'm very sorry to hear this.

Kansas District Overbeer

• blackout
    blackout

Im very sorry to hear this, its very sad.

I must say though that big cats do not purr. the part of their larinx that allows them to growl and roar means that they dont purr.

Small cats purr and cant roar, big cats roar and cant purr. I have it on good authority.

• Robdar
    Robdar

I must say though that big cats do not purr. the part of their larinx that allows them to growl and roar means that they dont purr.

Small cats purr and cant roar, big cats roar and cant purr. I have it on good authority

Black Out,

So, you call me a liar? Sorry, that belief is old school. The proof is in the pudding. Some big Cats do purr. Lions and tigers do not purr. Pumas and some leopards do. Being with Ciera and the other big cats everyday, is my proof. Don't believe me? Take it up with Lori, the puma handler at the KC Zoo.

I have been trying to embed a page but can't get it to go. Check out this link and get back to me and your "good authority"

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question394.htm

Robyn

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Aww...Sorry Robyn.

My cat loves it when I whistle the theme from "The Andy Griffith Show". I swear. She goes crazy. She meows, purrs, jumps and rubs and generally acts like she is having a really good time. When I stop she relaxs and takes a nap!

• Francois
    Francois

Blackout, how good an authority does it have to be to be better than an eyewitness, or in this case an earwitness?

There's one in every crowd.

francois

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Sorry to hear about Ciera's passing, Robdar. However, I too was an eyewitness, or should I say earwitness to the fact that Ciera purred. Last October Robdar gave me a tour of the zoo and introduced me to Ciera. Again, I am very sorry to hear of her passing. Athanasius

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

~looking askance at Blackout and wondering who stole his Cocoa Puffs~

Hey Robyn,

So sorry to hear of Ciera's passing. I don't know anything about big cats but I do know how attached I get to my pets, so I can relate in a way. BTW, I hope that you're doing well and that things have/will soon smooth out for you.

Dana

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit