Suggestions for horror/supernatural movies

by Addison0998 28 Replies latest social entertainment

• redpilltwice
    redpilltwice

Exorcist and The Thing already mentioned.

Further suggestions: Hellraiser series, (especially the first two) and Jacob's Ladder.

• amiable atheist
    amiable atheist

@ Addison0998
    I like the nonchalance of Constantine (2005), by Francis Lawrence with Keanu Reeves, Rachel Weisz, Djimon Hounsou, Tilda Swinton …, where evil is coming towards the City of Angels and our demon hunter averts the imminent hostile take-over of the world by the hosts of hell.

I don't think this film will give anyone a nightmare, except, maybe, the most devout believer. But, maybe I simply do not relate to the conjunction of the two concepts of ′horror′ and ′supernatural′.

So, here's a horror film which dispenses altogether with this supernatural shenanigans:
    Orphan (2009) by Jaume Collet-Serra

• jws
    jws

I noticed that too. As soon as I stopped believing in Christianity, that fear was gone.

I remember walking through a graveyard used to raise the hair on my body. I'd think I saw something. One night I was preparing a trail for my running club and was going through a graveyard. It was at dusk then after dark. I realized then that graveyards no longer had any effect on me. I had no problem being there after dark.

In fact, out of the corner of my eye, I caught some movement. And I very calmly wondered what it was. Surely something was blowing or something. My mind never conjured a supernatural explanation. I think it turned out to be a flag or something. But I had no fear. In the old days, I would have been startled. Now it's just like any other movement like if I was walking in a park. Something moved, I wonder what moved? Not OMG, something moved, get ready to run!

I know JWs aren't supposed to fear the dead and don't believe in ghosts. BUT, they do believe in demons. And they believe demons are always trying to trick you into thinking there are ghosts. So demons must see cemeteries as the perfect place to hide and play tricks on people.

• jws
    jws

As far as your question. I just watched Babadook on Netflix. I thought that had both good suspense and psychological terror as well as a supernatural one.

I know it's a different genre, but IMO, equally as scripted. You have all of those ghost hunter shows. The Sci-Fi channel was big on those for a while - might still be. Hint, people. Ghost hunting is in the Science FICTION channel. Which can be kind of funny. You'll inevitably hear the totally unprovable claims. Like I just felt something. or "did you see that thing that's not on camera. As a rational person, you just want to shake some sense into these people. But, you realize they are getting paid to produce a show that has to keep viewers and be popular. And you need scares to do that. And a lot of former show members have admitted to how things were staged and faked. Want some credibility? Send James Randi along with you. And if he's scared, I will be too.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I love the old British Hammer horror films with Cushing and Lee.

Those films are cheesy and bonkers but cosy fun.

• Tallon
    Tallon

Sorry that I can't offer any suggestions as I can't watch these kind of films. I find them disturbing and they give me the creeps.

• jp1692
    jp1692

Punk: I love the old British Hammer horror films with Cushing and Lee.

Oh yeah, my older sister took me to see some of these when I was just a lad. They scared the crap out of me ... and I loved them.

Here is one of my favorites, the death scene from Dracula:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssvgMHCa45s

I just rewatched it after not having seen it in 50-ish years. I was surprised at how well I remembered this sequence. Probably because end is burned into my psyche just like the sunlight the proved to be the Count's end!

I was just about 10 when my sister took me to see "The House that Dripped Blood!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNO3yw0Cg5I

Another classic is "The Wicker Man":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx1oU1IiZ3k

• mentalclarity
    mentalclarity

Babadook

A Quiet Place

The Others

El Orfanato (The Orphanage)

The Boy

I don't care for the Saw type movies either.

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno

Another vote for the latest version of Stephen King’s IT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit