What Are TV Shows or Movies That You Think Are Overated?

by minimus 19 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Anything come to mind??

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Yes, quite a few. XD

First up, films ...

Eraserhead (1977) is ridiculously overrated. Sure David Lynch is a talented film maker but is Eraserhead a masterpiece? No. The movie has some great sounds and I love the ideas behind the movie. But it ain't a masterpiece. It's more an 85 minute advertisement that shouts how talented David Lynch is.

And this is gonna be difficult for me because I love these films ... Star Wars the original trilogy.

They are very good but people (including me) remember them with rose-tinted glasses.

I love The Empire Strikes Back (1980) but is it one of the greatest movies of all time? No - it's not up there with Godfather Part One & Two, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, The Silence of The Lambs.

Is Empire a masterpiece? Maybe yeah - a flawed masterpiece.

And here are TV shows ...

Lots of American sit-coms are overrated.

Two and a Half Men, Friends, Fraser, Seinfeld - you name it.

All frothy nonsense with overpaid actors. XD

• TD
    TD

Two come to mind immediately: Game of Thrones and the The Hunger Games series.

For the most part, both had stellar casts, awesome sets, costumes and stunning special effects, but the basic premises of both were flawed. Neither author seemed to have a clue about how power actually works.

Game of Thrones depicted the politics of the Early Middle Ages, coupled with the level of technology of the Late Middle Ages, coupled with the level of civilization of the Early Modern Period, which is a completely unworkable combination. (There's a reason why the Early Modern Period is also know as The Age of Revolution.)

The Hunger Games series depicted a level of control at least on par and possibly even greater than the Nazi exerted in the Ghetto Krakau, but you can watch the series from start to finish and not see anything that even remotely suggests it. (Other than a handful of lightly armed police and a couple of freakish entertainers..)

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Ha!! The majority of them. I'm not home now so don't want to use my whole battery on phone to list them

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Here's another film that I love but, if I'm being honest, is a tad overrated: Halloween (1978).

The actress who plays Judith Myers at the beginning is pretty crap.

The actress who plays Annie delivers some crap lines.

The way Annie dies is crap - check out the face she pulls as she dies.

I've watched film critics say, with a straight face, that Halloween is the first modern horror movie, that there is horror before Halloween and horror after it. Have these critics never heard of Psycho, Night of the Living Dead, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Black Christmas, Jaws?!

I love Halloween but it is a bit overrated and it's starting to age a little.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Avatar - Sorry could not see what all the hype was about, I remember the witnesses in particluar gushing over it a case of the emporahs new clothes for sure.

• Angharad
    Angharad

Black panther -completely over hyped, nothing more than a scene setter for Infinity Wars

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Star Trek Diversity oops sorry I meant to say Discovery. Again, much ado about I'm not quite sure what.

• minimus
    minimus

Star Trek never did anything for me but I’m not a big Si fi lover

• minimus
    minimus

Boardwalk empire on hbo was a show I could never get into. After the sopranos it was tough to get a show that could be close in comparison.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit