A better way to ask questions - Anybody remember "Amazing"?

by Bonnie_Clyde 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

First of all, I wonder whatever happened to Jim Whitney (AKA Amazing). When I first joined this forum, I remember being so impressed by the way he got his family out. Instead of knocking the organization head-on, he would ask questions that can't be answered during his family study, such as, "How would you answer someone if they said we were false prophets?" Or, "How can be show someone that Jehovah is using the Governing Body to lead his people." Or, what would you say to a doctor who asks why we can accept blood fractions but not a blood transfusion." Or, "What would we answer someone who claims the Watchtower predicted 1914 and 1975 as the year for Armageddon?" Then he would ask the family to do some research during the week. His method worked!

For those who are wanting to fade, wouldn't this be a better way to ask the elders without raising suspicion? Always throw the question back to a 3rd party. I notice a lot of the posters like to ask these questions head-one, and it very seldom works.

• Giordano
    Giordano

I think it is better to ask questions as if they came from a 3rd party.

"I was once asked in field service why JW children are held to the two witness rule. If someone was abusing a child do you think they would do it in front of a witness?"

Getting someone to reason a little helps a person to start thinking for themselves. But the resistance is still there.

• bohm
    bohm

Giordano: Billy the bethelite had some amazing threads on that type of fake FS questions.

• Incognito
  • scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

For those who are wanting to fade, wouldn't this be a better way to ask the elders without raising suspicion? Always throw the question back to a 3rd party. I notice a lot of the posters like to ask these questions head-one, and it very seldom works.

I agree (respectfully) for the most part. Personally I am of the opinion that there isn't any cookie-cutter way of fading. Many JWs have different circumstances, different reasons to leave/stay/stay for now. I think that the approach you mention can be helpful, but not for every single JW.

What I see is that regardless of how they decide to leave, we all need support, respect for what we decide to do/believe and understanding when they decide to take an action that we personally wouldn't take.

Also, many people refuse (or are not aware) that aside from asking questions regarding teachings and doctrine, there are feelings and other things that make people stay tied up with their congregations. Those bonds, and feelings are stronger than any line of reasoning.

• Phaedra
    Phaedra

I remember Amazing. We had a few good conversations in the early days. His perspective here and at other online venues helped give me insight into various things. Wonder what he's up to these days.

• biblexaminer
    biblexaminer

My wife and I asked a pair of elders, at the service group, how we reconcile not taking blood with taking fractions of blood and not donating. These supposed pillars of the congregation began shaking out of fear. Not exaggerating.... literally shaking. They wanted to get out of there so fast...

You cannot help people who do not want to be helped.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

I think he may had a very particular situation with his family. He had probably earned 120% of their trust over the years. If one of your loved ones is a bit colder when it comes to questioning, they may be faster to judge your intentions than to actually ponder over the question. My wife for example, can not see the potential danger behind attending (if not following, just attending) a church that may have dark secrets or a dark past. However, her first judgement when I lend my careless 12 year old a $1000 camera is that I want her to break it so I can have an excuse to get a new one. Never can she conclude that my girl is better off chasing butterflies with a camera than sitting on the couch watching TV all day.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

Amazing can be found on FB under his real name.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I agree that it is best to always make it a question from a third party.

The problem with all people who hold strongly to beliefs, is that as soon as those beliefs are questioned head on, it triggers in their brain emotional responses that stop them considering/questioning their beliefs. There is an interesting recent Scientific study on this, it is referenced in Sam Harris' latest Waking Up Blog.

Expressed in the terms of " I do not know how to answer this, can you help.....?" means it is possible their inherited defense mechanism may not kick in.

Good luck !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit