Using violence to end violence?

by stuckinarut2 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

It really is mind blowing when we think about it : Witnesses have no problem with a deity who will use violence in order to end violence?!?!

Armageddon will be Gods war to kill billions of people...because it shows his love?

Thoughts?

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Tell a jw this: Jehovah is going to kill 8 billion people for not knowing him, then resurrect billions because they did not know him!

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

It always seemed to me as a JW that if "imperfection" was at the root of mans problems (crime, violence, wars, sickness etc) then simply removing the imperfection would be the way to solve mans problems rather than annihilating hundreds of millions of men women and children.

The Bible however points out that God seems to like a more dramatic approach. For example, if you believe the account of Noah, he would rather flood the entire earth and drown all but 8 humans as well as drown nearly all of the innocent animals on the planet rather than to simply send in his angels in the night, to kill off the wicked ones. It worked in later in Egypt but I guess he hadn't thought of that yet, at the time of Noah.

Christians like to think they are all about upholding goodness and righteousness however they, like most humans, are also big on consequences and seeing those they perceive as wicked, getting their just desserts rather than simply being cured of the imperfection they recognize as the basis of man's problems. It's easier and more motivating for those who view themselves as saved or as already righteous and who want to save their own skins, to get behind the idea of a mass annihilation of the human race.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

They are fine with genocide as long as it's "Jehovah" that's doing the dirty deed like a contract killing, genocide by proxy, one degree of seperation between them and the mass murder.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

According to Jewish and most Christian eschatology, Armageddon happens when nations that are now Muslim march against Israel and, specifically, Jerusalem in the last days. Muslim eschatology calls for the eventual destruction of Jerusalem and the Jews, and each side of this contest believes it will be serving God.

Christian eschatology explains that when Jesus descends upon the Mount of Olives that the Antichrist forces from the north will actually attack the coming Messiah. At that point, Jesus will, with a single utterance, destroy the opposing forces with fire.

In that sense, Jesus will be responding with violence against violence. Why? Probably because the enemy will continue its onslaught if he doesn't stop it.

2 For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city.

3 Then shall the Lord go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle.

4 And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives....

Zechariah 12

And:

21 And I will set my glory among the heathen, and all the heathen shall see my judgment that I have executed, and my hand that I have laid upon them.

22 So the house of Israel shall know that I am the Lord their God from that day and forward.

Ezekiel 39

Fire and glory can mean the same thing and in this sense seems to. When the Muslim nations attack Israel, they believe they will be in the right, and they will assume any power coming to save the Jews will be the Dejjal, the Muslim Antichrist, and they will do everything they can to prevent his intervention.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Witnesses have no problem with a deity who will use violence in order to end violence?!?!

Yes, and the NRA and the government of the USA either.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Lot's be honest, folks.

Natural selection is - at times - a violent process. Whether we like it or not, the trait is ingrained in us at a biological level.

Is it any real surprise, then, that the belief systems which evolved along with us mirror those aspects?

• cha ching
    cha ching

That is mind blowing logic, nowwhat, haha!

I will try that: "killed because you don't know, resurrected because you don't know."

Love it!

• Simon
    Simon

"Might is right" and even if it isn't, in a battle between might and "mightless", might usually wins.

There are very few conflicts that haven't ultimately been solved by fighting.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Simon - "There are very few conflicts that haven't ultimately been solved by fighting."

That unpleasant fact always reminds me of this scene from Starship Troopers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyhfHQ_7Skg

I would like to state that - for the record - finding a peaceful resolution is always preferred, IMO, and that I do not endorse or support fascism in any form.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit