Celebrations?

by Freedom rocks 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• alanv
    alanv

I still dont like xmas at all. its just so commercial, although I know its great for kids. I tend to celebrate friends or families special birthdays, rather than everyone's. I often send good wishes to people via Facebook. When my mother was alive I would celebrate mothers day. No need for valantine's day at my age though lol.

• SummerAngel
    SummerAngel

The whole schbang except halloween which is just nasty. Whats the point being out if you dont have some of the perks. I feel to see it as being told when to celebtate misses the point and shows how in fear of control so many are understandably. The main difference is choice- i can celebrate xmas in june if i wish but i chose to buy presents, dec the house etc. The formal festival days just focus us on each other or mother/ father whatever.

I think for me its also been such a normalising thing after feeling i was always on the outside of it all. Festivals bring people together.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    Does anyone celebrate valentines day since leaving the Borg?

And before leaving the borg too.

And which other celebrations if any do you now take part in?

Hump day and Taco Tuesday.

Joke aside, I celebrate holidays and pretty much everything I am invited to or everything I invite people to when I feel like celebrating. Having been raised a JW put me in a convenient position of not feeling pressured to celebrate when I don't feel like it. This year my Christmas was very mellow and involved close family only. Felt great. Some years I just check my email and go yo bed early. Some others I attend parties, and some years I throw a party.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

All of them, but only to the extent I want to. I let my daughter go to Halloween parties, she won a prize for her witch's costume at school. We always have a real tree at Christmas, presents and a special lunch, vegetarian for my girl, turkey for the rest of us. Birthday parties, firework displays on bonfire night. Easter eggs at Easter, chocoholics in our house but I like the cheap Cadbury ones with buttons in not those fancy expensive ones that taste weird.

My husband and I didn't do Valentine's more than once because the restaurants were all overcrowded and the food overpriced. We saved our money for our wedding anniversary in March.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I celebrate anything I want. Birthdays being the biggest.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

valentines day. my wife wants calvin klein

• mentalclarity
    mentalclarity

Celebrate everything pretty much. Any excuse is good for me to get together with friends and enjoy life. I kind of find Valentines a bit cliché, but still enjoy a nice evening out. Used to really like St Patrick's day, went to a local brewery for Burns night not long ago. Seriously, I'm all about celebrating!

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Holidays are weird. I have zero emotional connection to any holiday.

I celebrated Xmas, I dropped $300 for a tree, $200 on decorations for the tree, then presents... I had a lot of fun.

We all have to start building new memories, so just do what you feel you need to do.

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit