Do JWs Really Say This?

by NotFormer 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

I stumbled, via a Google search, upon a part of JW space that is usually heavily defended against outsiders like my good self. In a discussion, someone started their post with "I (started doing X)... when the Slave began to suggest doing so"*

Do PIMIs really talk that way? I assume that the person is referring to the GB/Bethel, when they say "the Slave". I realise that the GB use the term to describe themselves, kind of like the Royal third person, but I didn't think that the R&F would copy them and use it in general conversation.

*I'm being deliberately vague about the source

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

It’s old school. Probably from a multigenerational member.

I’m 4th gen. My mom and her sisters used that term all the time.

They would occasionally use the term “evil slave” in whispers to refer to the descendants on the original Bible students who didn’t follow Rutherford.

It all seems so silly now.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

All the time. Take your choice; evil slave or slave master.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Yes , they do…. I think you would hear it more in U.S.A. than Europe but I have heard it a lot on at the same sort of site you were at.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

It is a shame those people using that name/label "Slave" do not have the sense to realise anyone fulfilling the Role of Slave/Servant should be working ONLY for the benefit of those they serve, in this case, the JW believers worldwide.

The G.B & Cronies only look after their own interests, which mainly consist of $$$.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I recall many people using a similar phrase, but no one would use the word "slave." They would call them "the society."

I can remember one time, when my mother disagreed with how an elder had interpreted a letter from the GB to the congregation. She said that she would "wait for the society to clarify the matter." When I asked her what she would do if they did not provide this clarification, she simply repeated that she would wait for the society to clarify it.

It was an interesting experience. She was (and is) a die-hard hardcore JW. To her, the society (ie, the GB) is the first and final word on any issue. So she was going to wait for them to provide a clear understanding of whatever the matter was. But by doing so, she was also ignoring the advice of the GB to follow the guidance of the elders. I didn't press the issue, as she seemed a bit distraught and she doesn't handle cognitive dissonance very well. But it was an example of the kind of mindset that is created by their policies and doctrines.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

“Society” is old school and can mark you out as very out of touch if you use it these days. “Slave” is still current. The full phrase “faithful slave” sounds more natural to me, but I think JWs would also use the one word “slave”. They might also simply refer to the Governing Body, which is synonymous with the “faithful slave” in the current teaching.

Older JWs sometimes used the alternative “faithful steward” (from Luke’s gospel rather than Matthew), but I haven’t heard it in a long time. It was in one of the old songs: “there is a faithful steward, and his active force”, or something like that.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

They should call them "kings," because they are reigning already (cf. 1 Cor. 4:8). They did call themselves "dukes" or "sheiks" a while back. Perhaps they should use such a term as it has been sanctioned by the top.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

usually barmy old women.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Around these parts they often say 'the Branch', meaning direction from the WT/Society/CO/whatever

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit