Reaching out

by Reg andeson 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Reg andeson
    Reg andeson

Hi everyone my name is reg anderson i am from new brunswick canada

I have currently relocated to toronto canada

I am currntly working in downtown toronto

To make a long story short is i dont know a soul here and dont have a study group nor anyone to reach out to for support in anyway. I am struggling in this wicked system and desperatly need to get to the meetings and make some new friends on account that im just one of those people who need the fellowship of like minded people in order survive in these troubled times. I suffer from depression and a few other physical ailments and i pray to jehova every day for support. I was hoping to get estabished with a toronto based congregation so i could get some counselling on a few certain issues i have that i want to resolve can any help me please

• jhine
    jhine

Hi Reg , welcome to JWN . l see that no one else has answered you yet , there may be a few reasons for that . This is a site primarily for ex JWs , however l am not in that group .

l suspect that many on this site would give a lot of reasons for your depression , all stemming from being in the WT . I don't know much about this but l find it odd that you have not been put in touch with a local cong. that appears to be the usual procedure when someone moves to a new area .

Jan

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Hi Reg,

Welcome to the forum!

I was never a Witness but have been interested learning about WT religion since I was a teenager.

I'd be interested in hearing your story as I'm sure many others on this forum would be also.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Hi Reg,

Jhine told you the truth........this is not a pro JW forum. However who better to hang with then former JW's who had to fight to keep their marriages together and their children from shunning them?

Or would you rather associate with JW's who have tossed their 18 year old child out on the mean streets ( a JW policy). Because they no longer wanted to be associated with one of the most damaging religions ever.

On the bright side we do have a fair number of people who have gone through everything the JW's can throw at them and are still capable and well meaning.

There are people on this site willing to understand what you are experiencing......your isolation and a serious lack of interest by your fellow JW's. These are people who were JW's for 50 years or more who have come to an understanding that it was not the truth.

Listening to what you said.......... I'd look for a therapist who would be able to work through your issues apart from the religion.

Or you can be a part of this forum and ask questions and ask for help about personal issues that you can't resolve on your own.

jwfacts.org would be my first recommendation....... it's a brilliant web site that uses the WT's own publications to answer your faith based questions.

The question you should be concerned about is are you unnecessarily vulnerable when you associate with the JW religion?

• jhine
    jhine

All good points Giordano .

As you have seen Reg Vanderhoven7 and l have never been JWs , l am a lifelong Anglican . i would certainly be happy to have a PM from you if you would like to chat .

Jan

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i really think the OP's name, location and phone number should be deleted.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Reg, it sounds like you may have some serious problems that you would use some help with. I was an Elder for many years. Let me assure you that the Elders have NO training in how to help people who are facing serious issues!!! Life is complicated. Many of us have had marital problems, emotional problems, and problems in life from making some bad decisions. If you are facing anything like that -- Go see a professional counselor/therapist who has gone to school (University -- NOT "Elders' School") and is licensed to help with those things.

Good luck to you!

Doc

• Giordano
    Giordano

Well said Doc!

Getting professional help is very important....especially when your involved with the JW's or other high control religions like the Amish or Moonies (also called Loonies in their day).

Therapists are the enemy of cults.

Let me put it this way.

Your in the hospital and you need surgery and that surgery calls for a blood transfusion.

The JW Hospital Liaison Committee (two or three JW Elders with High School diplomas) counsel you to not accept a blood transfusion. They quote a scripture or two and berate the dangers of accepting blood. Three days later while you are now near death you look out the window in your hospital room and those same two or three brothers are outside washing your window and every other window.

When it comes to blood or getting your head together you don't want to involve the untrained and most often totally ignorant policies of the WTBTS to interfere with the best medical care you can get.

In short never trust medical advice from a high control religion.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

The sad part is you can find and join this site, get responses but it is hard or impossible to join something like JW talk. The org site has meeting times and locations IF you can navigate " the best and easiest to use site" ever made.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Sad to say...I think Reg has abandoned ship...needy, vulnerable and afraid.

Wishing you the best Reg. May you find the peace and fellowship you need while in Toronto.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit