Suicide Attempts

by APieceOfShitNamedTate 20 Replies latest watchtower medical

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

HOOBOY use scriptures and "Bible based literature", and wait for at least a day or two before resuming. That really ought to help.

Last suicide I knew of wasn't allowed a KH memorial, but a brother did give a talk at the venue. I think this one was caused by the pressure to pioneer, go to bethel, and the dating "guidlines" (if you go on a date you gotta marry).

There is probably the old self murder taboo in the background.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

Their approach in the new manual still comes across as weirdly clinical and impersonal. Read some magazines with them, really? How about give them a hug and then give them the floor, listen carefully to what they say, respond thoughtfully, and yes, suggest professional help. That gives the other person the chance to say what's on their mind instead of listening to what's on the Governing Body's.

• blondie
    blondie

Attempted suicide may be the result of deep despair or major depression. Deal carefuUy and compassionately with such a persono In most cases a judicial hearing is not required.-Ps. 88:3, 17, 18; Prov. 15:13; Eccl. 7:7; w90 3/1 pp. 5-9; 3/15 pp. 26-30; g90 9/8 pp. 22-23; w83 8/1 pp. 3-11

The word "SUICIDE" occurs only six times in the "Shepherd the Flock of God" book. Of these, four occurrences are in the text, the first one is in the Table of Contents and the last is in the index.

In the text they are found at:

Suicide:

• attempted 5:4 (p. 59)
      • Attempted suicide may be the result of deep despair or major depression. Deal carefully and compassionately with such a person. In most cases a judicial hearing is not required. - Ps. 88:3, 17; Prov. 15:13; Eccl. 7:7; w90 3/1 pp. 5-9; 3/15 pp. 26-30; g90 9/8 pp. 22-23; w83 8/1 pp. 3-11.
    • threatened 6:16 (p. 86)
      • If the Accused Threatens Suicide - In judicial cases where the accused threatens suicide, it may be best for the committee to suspend the hearing to focus on helping him regain his balance. (see 7:12) They should assure him of the committee's desire to help him, then broach the subject of depression and suicide, using the Scriptures and Bible-based publications. (Prov. 3:11, 12; 4:13; Heb. 12:5, 6, 11-13) Depending upon his emotional state, it may be best to do this a day or two later. The elders can prepare by reviewing articles that will help them deal sensitively with the depressed individual. (w00 9/15 pp. 3-7; w88 10/15 pp. 25-29; 11/15 pp. 21-24; w82 6/1 pp. 9-14) The judicial committee should avoid prolonging the case unnecessarily, as this can cause stress for the accused. They should take notes for the confidential file, outlining the dates of their conversations and the scriptures and articles that were considered. They should sign it and place it in the file for the case. The judicial committee should communicate with the branch office if there are questions about a certain case.
    • Note, I underlined and bolded the word "suicide" above the make it easier to find. The emphasis is not in the original.
  • DwainBowman
    DwainBowman

I put a gun to my head back in 1999, and pulled the trigger, just as the gun was yanked away. The bullet missed. I still can only hear ringing in my right ear.

No committee of any kind was held. I did spend a lot of time talking to a long time elder and friend about it. I am sure he told the other eldubs about our discussions.

Sadly I have lived on the edge of the abyss ever since. It's not a fun place to be!

• Room 215
    Room 215

So sorry that intervention pulled you away fro the brink, Dwaine. I glad you found a sympatehic ear from a reasonable, compassionate. elder. This more recent information is a half-step forward for the Jws, but the crux of their advice continues to be to simply wave the Bible and a couple of magazines at the depressed soul.

• zeb
    zeb

As someone who experiences depression the best thing they could do is ...call the branch office..................

(sorry black humor)

------

DB.

We should start a club called the black dogs. similar to the caterpillar club for those who have used an ejector seat.

• zeb
    zeb

my mistake the caterpillar club is for those who have bailed out of a plane and used a parachute.

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

I think it is disgraceful that they refuse to let the KH be used for the funeral of a person who has died through suicide. I have known 5+ sisters and brothers who have taken their own lives and in every case use of the KH was refused by the various bodies of elders.

At the time when their surviving family or spouse is in need of support they are turned away from their own place of worship. God knows what message it sends out into the wider community!

In most cases an elder conducted the funeral service but it had to be held in the funeral parlour or at the crematorium.

• LoyalLeon
    LoyalLeon

The word "SUICIDE" occurs only six times in the "Shepherd the Flock of God" book.

@blondie this is an outdated source, Richard I cited the current sfl-book

LL

• inactive1
    inactive1

Mental illness is acknowledged and intellectualized but in practice, if you have a mental illness you are still treated as spiritually weak. I had to go on disability in 2015 after being diagnosed with chronic major depressive disorder, anxiety disorder, and PTSD. I have been inactive since 2016 and my depression has gotten worse since a serious heart attack in 2018. I've received no practical help or encouragement. The elders only want you to return to meetings so their records look good. They say they love you. They don't. I live alone. My wife divorced me unscripturaly in 2002. I have been labeled as a bad associate unofficially. I'm 64 years old. In poor health. No friends. Being an inactive witness is very very lonely.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit