new light a tenent of Branch Davidians

by recovering 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• recovering
    recovering

Wow I came across this recently. The branch Davidians are/where a cult lead by David Koresh. . They believed themselves to be living in a time when Biblical prophecies of a final divine judgment were coming to pass as a prelude to Christ's Second Coming. In 1993 the ATF, FBI, and Texas National Guard raided one of their properties for suspected weapons violations, as well as child molestation by their leader. Once the Branch Davidians met the raid with gunfire they were laid siege for 51 days. The siege ended with a raid which resulted in the deaths of the Branch Davidians' leader, David Koresh, as well as 82 other Branch Davidian men, women, and children, and four ATF agents.

I find it very interesting that they used the concept of receiving new light from god to justify their misdeads.

I have pasted there beliefs down below. It is scary how much some of their beliefs mirror JW beliefs.

Outline of Branch Davidian Teachings

Prophecy

Branch Davidians believe they are God's chosen people for the Last Days prior to the end of the world. Because of this they believe that God will always send a prophet to guide them. In this sense they keep to the original spirit of Seventh-day Adventism, where for the first 70 years of its history God was believed to send messages to the Church instructing it and guiding it. Branch Davidians have had five prophets: Ellen White, Victor Houteff, Ben Roden, Lois Roden and David Koresh (although not all of these were Branch Davidians, see the History of Branch Davidians). Currently the group still believe they are being sent messages from God.

Branch Davidians believe God is guiding his Church into more and more truth. They trace this back to the Reformation, with Martin Luther beginning this journey: he was succeeded by Knox, Wesley, Campbell, Miller, then the Seventh-day Adventists, then the Davidian Adventists and finally the Branch Davidians. The Branch Davidian view of Doctrine is therefore very dynamic and evolutionary - they are constantly expecting "New Light" to be shown by God to his/her people. The prophets are the means by which God reveals New Light, but this is always by drawing out the real meaning of texts from the Bible. Hence a prophet does not simply announce a new teaching, it always has to be shown to be what the Bible has taught all along, but people have been "blinded" to.

True Believers are not therefore those who are morally good - Branch Davidians believe that the Bible teaches that no one can be perfect - but those who believe "Present Truth" (the latest teachings from God). It is by constantly following the new teachings from God that the believer will be saved.

The Last Days

But why does God keep revealing New Light? Why didn't He just reveal himself in Jesus - as his Final Revelation to the world? The answer to this lies in prophecy in the Bible.

The Bible is full of prophecy. Right at creation God prophecies what will happen if Adam or Eve eat from the Tree of Knowledge (Gen 2:17), at the Fall he prophecies again (Gen 3:14-19), and this continues throughout the Old Testament - in the Law, in the Psalms and of course particularly in the Prophets. In the New Testament we constantly hear that Jesus acts "that it might be fulfilled" (e.g. Matt 2:17) - does this mean that all Old Testament prophecy is fulfilled in Jesus? No, because the New Testament also speaks of prophecy being fulfilled at the end of time - prior to the Second Coming (e.g. Matt 24, 2 Thess 2:3), and itself contains a complete book of prophecy - the Revelation of Jesus Christ, the last book of the Bible. Branch Davidians believe the Bible teaches that these prophecies referring to the Second Coming have been "sealed" or locked up, until the end time. It is because we are now in the end time that Branch Davidians believe God is now revealing him/her self again, and the mark of God's chosen people is that they have this new revelation from God. Thus the New Light is being given because we are in the end time, the New Light is God's final revelation to humanity.

• Londo111
    Londo111

The Branch Davidian group descends from the Seventh Day Adventist, who were inspired by the teachings of William Miller in regard 1844.

Other Adventists groups were also inspired from William Miller's teachings. One of these was Second Adventist Nelson Barbour, who came up with 1914. Barbour convinved Russell of his groups chronology and Russell began working for his magazine, until 1879 when Russell broke away and formed his own group.

Many of these groups have similar terminology. New Light. Present Truth. And so forth.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Christadelphians are also another group to form out of the Adventist movement. I recommend you attend one of their services, you will be blown away with how similar they are to the JWs. You can use most of the JW terminology and doctrines and they will be able to comprehend it with a few variations of course. I know I attended.

• Jayk
    Jayk

It mostly had to do with the molesting that got them raided. In the USA especially in Texas you can have guns and also your right to milita.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Did you stumble on the "new light" reference to them while listening to the "Zealot" podcast? I just heard it there. Heard also about their link to the Seventh Day Adventists. They sure churn out some bat shit crazy cults. I enjoy that podcast though.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Fear mongering works to cultivate followers and listeners, particularly if use the bible and its believable acceptance. Human ignorance is a accumulative commodity for those who seek power and control over others.

The Watchtower cult is good example of that .

• recovering
    recovering

Never heard of the zealot podcast. What is it?

I stumbled across this information when I was watching a tv show about David Koresh and how he justified sleeping with his 12 yr old sister in law. He referred to new light on his excuse for his behavior. I then just did a Google search and got more information.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

They were only a "k" away from settling in the right place.

• recovering
    recovering

wow they also believe in the 144000.

this scares me more and more.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Very interesting!

It is amazing to see just how similar so many of these religions are!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit