Critical thinking

by Freedom rocks 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Freedom rocks
    Freedom rocks

What kind of questions would you use to get a child'scritical thinking skills going from a young age with regards to the bible/god/jesus/anything to do with the religion??

My most hated answer jws gave to people when they said you can't see god so how do you know he exists was "well you can't see electricity or gravity but you know they exist".

Sorry but that doesn't prove god exists. Their critical thinking skills are lacking somewhat.

What I'm after though are simple questions that can get a child thinking and reasoning

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

You might point out to the child that we can measure electricity and gravity and then ask the question, "Can we measure God?"

Perhaps ask them how they tell the difference between real gods and false gods?

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Maybe getting them to understand the old saying about truth vs faith.

That is,

'Faith is something you believe- whether it is true or not.

Truth is an accepted fact- whether you believe it or not.'

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I think these questions need to be asked of Adult Jehovah`s Witnesses also because they need simple questions to get them thinking and reasoning.

Which they surely lack.

What I'm after though are simple questions that can get a child thinking and reasoning

That is a good post F.r. getting children to see from an early age not to accept what might be widely believed on face value.

My contribution : How about Samson and the 300 foxes ? Judges15:4-5 The absurdity of one man catching 300 foxes then corralling them ,tying their tales together and setting them off on fire among the Phillistines crops ?

Its not as though foxes live together in one little community ,they cover a large/wide area.

or Solomon offering up 22,000 cattle and 120,000 sheep as a sacrifice to Jehovah to what amounted to a dedication of a Kingdom Hall for the Israelites .1kings 8:63-66

That`s 88,000 hoofs of cattle and 480,000 feet of sheep they they would need to dispose of because they wouldn`t eat them .

568,000 in total what a bloodbath .

Imagine all of the blood and gore spill`t their.

{ Kids will just love that information } LOL

Slightly over the top don`t you think?

• Freedom rocks
    Freedom rocks

I'm going to try hard from a young age to get my children interested in science, evolution and archaeology as well and when they're older they'll be doing philosophy at school which should help. Thankfully they live with me and not the jw father so I'll hopefully have the strongest influence.

The atheists book of bible stories is another great book to use once old enough. It's questions to get their thinking really going though that i need to think of so they see through what dad says about Jehovah and jws.

• jp1692
    jp1692

It's true we can't see gravity but we most certainly can see evidence of it.

Thinking scientifically is a great way to encourage critical thinking. But it's even easier and more simple than that: encourage questions. Patiently explore them. Encourage your child's natural curiosity about things.

Share your own thought processes as well.

Here are a couple of recent threads on the topic you might appreciate as well:

• EverApostate
    EverApostate
    "well you can't see electricity or gravity but you know they exist".

Ok true.

I can demonstrate anytime that Electricity works by turning on the Light and the room brightens up

I can demonstrate anytime that gravity works when you throw a ball up and it comes down.

Both these Experiments are immediately demonstrable,verifiable and tangible and can be done by anyone, anytime, anywhere.

Is there something similar we can do to prove that God Exists. The Proof should be immediately demonstrable, verifiable and tangible at anytime, anywhere for everyone.

• charonsdog
    charonsdog

If the flood happened a little over 4000 years ago, and all of the animals climbed out of the ark at Mt. Ararat...how did all of the kangaroos, wallabies, etc. get to an island continent and not leave a trace of themselves anywhere else?

If the animals were created to live in peace and the lion will eat straw just like the bull, why do the big predators have teeth for ripping and the instinct to hunt and chase their prey?

If (formerly?) randy old King David had the blue pills, would Abishag have continued a virgin laying in his lap? (This one was what REALLY got me to thinking hard about what I had been taught. Thank you, Joseph Heller!)

• Badfish
    Badfish
    If the animals were created to live in peace and the lion will eat straw just like the bull, why do the big predators have teeth for ripping and the instinct to hunt and chase their prey?

An Awake from the 1960's had the answer. It says animals such as lions had sharp teeth and claws to rip open fruits that have tough skins, such as pineapples.

LOL

• amiable atheist
    amiable atheist

The Magic Of Reality - How We Know What's Really True

Richard Dawkins
    illustrated by Dave McKean

hardback edition

Richard Dawkins' passion for science and reason has never been more evident than in his latest work, an attempt to convey to "readers of all ages" just how wonderful and magical reality is. The other side of that idea is that no matter how enchanting ancient or modern myths might be, they are not based on reality and they are not nearly as interesting or as exciting as the truth. Dawkins brings this double point home in each of twelve chapters presented as questions, with the myths of many peoples contrasted with reality as determined by science. There will be little controversy over how he handles such questions as What is the sun? What is a rainbow? Why do we have night and day, winter and summer? What is an earthquake? or even Are we alone?

Unfortunately, many in America who should read this book probably won't because of their religious beliefs. Those who think Adam was the first person, that the god of Abraham created all animals individually, that the universe was brought into being by the will of some supernatural creator, and that bad things happen because god or the gods are angry with us will reject this or any book that tells the science like it is. Fortunately, the number of people who think the Bible is the word of god and must be taken literally as if it were a science text is not as great in other countries. I imagine the book will do quite well in the UK and other places (in translation) where fundamentalist anti-science is not so great as it is in the U.S.

All but two of the chapters focus exclusively on scientific questions. Most chapters begin with a look at some of the traditional myths that have been produced by various cultures around the world. These are followed up with a look at what the science has to say about the subject. The final two chapters enter the realm of philosophy. Why do bad things (like tsunamis and cancer) happen? They just do. There are causes but nature has no purpose in bringing about harm to anyone. What is a miracle? Here he enlists the help of David Hume to convey the idea that belief in miracles is not reasonable.

Many adults would benefit from reading The Magic of Reality because it will explain to them things that apparently many of them don't understand, such as why we have summer and winter. Many people think it is because the earth is closer or farther away from the sun that we have the seasons. Many people in the U.S. are clearly ignorant of what evolution means. Many seem to think that if evolution were true we should find one species giving birth to a new species from time to time. Every offspring is the same species as its parents. To help the reader who may not understand how species evolve, Dawkins asks us to imagine a pile of 185 million pictures, each picture being the grandparent of the picture after it. Any two or three or five hundred adjacent pictures will look very similar in terms of species characteristics. But if you go from your picture at one end to your 185 millionth grandparent, you'll see a picture of a fish-like creature.

Dawkins doesn't just tell the reader how old the universe is, he explains how we know the age of the universe. He doesn't just tell us what things are made of, he tells us how we know what they're made of.

Of course the fundamentalist literalist Jews and Christians will have an awful time with this book. Dawkins treats the Judeo-Christian myths in the same way he treats African or Japanese or American Indian myths. He doesn't make fun of the people who created the stories. He simply retells the stories, occasionally expressing his being baffled at certain parts of various stories, and then contrasts them with what science knows about the same reality that the mythmakers tried to explain. He doesn't ridicule religion or gods, but he does reject those who appeal to a god's intervention or a miracle to avoid trying to answer hard questions about reality. He has no tolerance for those who want us to give up trying to understand something because they claim it's miraculous and can't be understood.

If you want your child or you want yourself to know something about the various myths of many different cultures without showing any favorites, Dawkins' book fills that requirement quite well. If you want your child or you want yourself to know something about evolution, cosmology, physics, chemistry, biology, geology, and the methods of discovery used in those fields, Dawkins' book fills that requirement as well as anybody could.

What makes the book even more enticing is that Dawkins has teamed with artist Dave McKean, whose illustrations take the book to a level of visual enjoyment that matches the joy of following Dawkins as he attempts to explain some very complicated ideas in terms even those who will never read the book could understand if they dared do so.

Robert T. Carroll
    October 10, 2011

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit