Is the fight over?

by nicolaou 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I'm still digesting these changes and I think I'll reserve judgement for some months until we see how it all plays out in reality.

However, if the disfellowshipping process really has been de-fanged and shunning is beginning it's retreat into the Society's past then what excuses will there be in the years to come for anyone who wants to leave?

I can almost understand why they've done this. More carrot, less stick. Anything to keep the young ones from leaving. Relaxed grooming and dress codes, gentler disciplinary rules, no mandatory reporting or even in-person meeting attendance. I mean, how easy can they make it?!

Doctrine is next I'll bet.

Could this be a watershed to match 1995? I think so but only time will tell. Hardly seems worth fighting this self neutered opponent anymore.

R.I.P Watchtower?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I don’t think it goes anywhere near far enough. As it stands there will still be a lot of shunning, including minors.

Plus there’s no change to shunning apostates, which could be interpreted as anyone who doesn’t believe any more.

As you say, we’ll need to see how it plays out.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I hear what you're saying Slim' I just wonder about the difference between the new rules and the actual behaviour that these changes will trigger.

The signal has been sent and generations of young JW's who were never on-board with this abusive behaviour anyway now know that the Org is losing the stomach for it.

There comes a point when the kids just aren't scared of the cranky, stick waving, old men anymore.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I'm curious as to how it will develop over the next six months and then the following eighteen months. How quickly will JWs embrace the relaxed dress requirements? I bet beards are the latest fashion in a lot of congregations now!

Will there be pushback? Will the outreach open up avenues for people to return, or make it easier for people to drift away? Will there be fewer hardliners than I am expecting? It will be an interesting two-year period, IMO.

• vienne
    vienne

Most of you will remember that I'm not a Witness and never have been. I've attended many meetings and conventions usually with my mom (I miss her terribly) while she was adding to her research notes. I have relatives who are Witnesses, including some who are elders.

Okay, got that? right. So of those, only one was ever disfellowshipped. He was an abusive drunk who went through two wives, tried to beat one of his sons and ran a fraud through his company. He turned to drug use. Eventually he was fired, blew through about four million dollars and put a bullet in his brain. I understand shunning someone like this. Or someone like Lloyd-Boy. Sunning is scriptural whether we wish it weren't or not. As practiced by Witnesses it has elements that do not seem scriptural to me. The latest change remedies most of those.

Attending meetings has left me with the impression that there is a noticeable lack of love and some have seemed positively unwelcoming. Last memorial I attended with my oldest sisters, both Witnesses. I found a seat and remained in it. None of the elders greeted me, even though I was an obvious stranger. In fact no one spoke to me but one elderly 'sister' who knew my mother and read her books. This is not as it should be.

I should amend the last paragraph. One 'brother' who used to be an elder spoke to me at length after the meeting. When he was an elder he tried to interfere with my mother's teaching, contacting the principal to have a book banned from mom's class. He's a creep, elder or not. The principal reminded him the class was an elective and he simply did not have to enroll his son in it. He makes my skin crawl, but he at least spoke to me.

I read as many of the Watchtower's internal documents as I can. As I see it their education system is poor. [My qualifications to express this opinion? Come June I'll have my MA with a double major; education and history.]

The problem with Witness education is that meant for elders is procedural and not scriptural. Where is the intensive chapter by chapter consideration of the Bible? They rely on the curiosity of appointed men, not on an education system that requires them to focus on scripture. The Governing Body and their assistants are allowed intensive Bible study. Mary Witness is not. She is confined to Watchtower publications. That's fine. They contain their doctrines and understandings. But that's nothing like an intensive study. I asked one of their long-serving elders a question about something in the Book of Hebrews. His answer, "I don't remember ever reading that scripture."

How can Watchtower clergy counsel, act in scriptural ways, teach, without having been thoroughly taught themselves? Because their education system fails in this way, one sees elders adapting Governing Body guidance to fit their own, often faulty, understanding of Scripture. Why is this?

The new guidance is a step toward scriptural responsibility. Its a good one. Not quite far enough, but good.

There are many things I like about Watchtower theology. Some I do not like. The Faithful Slave concept twists those verses to give stature to the Governing Body. Of course others also twist scripture: Trinitarians, Hell-fire believers, Catholics whose church is a remake of ancient religions layered over with Christian terms. Any who rely of patristics instead of the Bible alone.

I watch a few of the anti-Witness videos and come away with the same feeling. They turn insignificant elders' letters into a mountain. They're smarmy. And some who try to refute the NWT ignore current scholarship to do so. So both sides are 'black' here. A clergyman's videos I sometimes watch are continuing exposures of other clergy's behaviors. But his own beliefs seem extra-Biblical.

In the face of this, I can tolerate some Watchtower practices.

On this discussion board I find those who practice ad hominem: "Wash towel" "Jehoober". Please! You hate the Watchtower. Fine. You show yourself as incapable of anything but school-yard insult. No one needs a reason to leave the Witness organization. A simple, "I don't like this and do not want to follow this path" is enough.

Sorry for the long rant. I'm not done by any means. But this is enough.

Annie [AKA Anastasia Marie] and NOT "Hey Dude"

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Armageddon is coming 'soon'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit