America Mass Shooting: 10/1/2015

by adjusted knowledge 48 Replies latest jw friends

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Tired of this shit and the bullshit responses from those Americans who just refuse to understand what is happening in their own country.

Your prayers aren't being heard, let Darwinism take care of you.

Or change.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

And before anyone asks why I should care about what happens 3000 miles away across the Atlantic, it's because your culture seeps across Europe like rising damp in an old house.

I don't want it here.

• Simon
    Simon

Without some limits on the access to guns there will be no change to mass shootings happening. It's the price you pay for the society you chose.

No amount of background checks will prevent someone who hasn't already committed a crime from committing a mass atrocity so until there is a pre-cog crime unit, there is no way to predict a previously lawful enough person shouldn't be given a gun.

Logically the only thing that can be done is to prevent access to guns for all - either by not allowing them or by limiting how many and how dangerous they could be. I don't hold out any help for "education" being the answer - there is just so much "dumb" and the dumb people seem so determined and proud of their dumbness.

The best the US can hope for right now is to limit shooting incidents to just one or two victims.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

And before anyone asks why I should care about what happens 3000 miles away across the Atlantic, it's because your culture seeps across Europe like rising damp in an old house.

Wasn't there a mass shooting in a train station in France and another in Australia not too long ago? I have to wonder why it is that why a country full of seemingly intelligent people 3000 miles across the Atlantic are willing to drop their own culture and "absorb" the rising mold of "American Culture" into their old damp houses? To listen to the news, it 's all guns all the time, over here and you couldn't walk down the street without encountering a gun or gunman.

Maybe things will be better when China is the #1 world power and we can blame our own problems on them and their culture.

• Simon
    Simon
    Maybe things will be better when China is the #1 world power and we can blame our own problems on them and their culture.

Then we'll all be eating rare animals to gain their super-powers and trying to smuggle raw chicken meat through airports in our pockets.

(seems to be what I see of Chinese people on TV)

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Pete: Wasn't there a mass shooting in a train station in France and another in Australia not too long ago?

I am not sure about France, but...about Australia's last mass shooting:

After a 1996 Mass Shooting, Australia Enacted Strict Gun Laws. It Hasn’t Had a Similar Massacre Since.

On April 28, 1996, a gunman opened fire on tourists in a seaside resort in Port Arthur, Tasmania. By the time he was finished, he had killed 35 people and wounded 23 more. It was the worst mass murder in Australia’s history.
    Twelve days later, Australia’s government did something remarkable. Led by newly elected conservative Prime Minister John Howard, it announced a bipartisan deal with state and local governments to enact sweeping gun-control measures. A decade and a half hence, the results of these policy changes are clear: They worked really, really well.
    What happened next has been the subject of several academic studies. Violent crime and gun-related deaths did not come to an end in Australia, of course. But as theWashington Post’s Wonkblog pointed out in August, homicides by firearm plunged 59 percent between 1995 and 2006, with no corresponding increase in non-firearm-related homicides. The drop in suicides by gun was even steeper: 65 percent. Studies found a close correlation between the sharp declines and the gun buybacks. Robberies involving a firearm also dropped significantly. Meanwhile, home invasions did not increase, contrary to fears that firearm ownership is needed to deter such crimes. But here’s the most stunning statistic. In the decade before the Port Arthur massacre, there had been 11 mass shootings in the country. There hasn’t been a single one in Australia since.

*full article at link

• Simon
    Simon
    homicides by firearm plunged 59 percent between 1995 and 2006, with no corresponding increase in non-firearm-related homicides. The drop in suicides by gun was even steeper: 65 percent

In any normal country, that would be welcome and a major win for any politician. The fact that it's mostly been eradicated after a major incident shows a working democracy and a population willing to make compromises to safeguard what is important.

In America such stats would be deemed unacceptable (and of course the option is completely off the table).

I actually agree with nicolaou on this - I'm getting sick of the laments and the grieving. I feel sorry for anyone who supports gun control who ever gets shot but if you voted for any of the deadbeats who perpetuate this nonsense ... what do you expect the outcome to be? It will not just stop on it's own.

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

I think it's time for America to invade Canada and Europe. It'll give the gun crazies something to do rather than slaughter domestically.

All distasteful jokes aside, I'm really ****ing tired of being embarrasses by the ineptness of my country's gun policies and attitude toward guns. We've always needed guns to fight off the Indians, then the British, then the Communists, now the terrorists, but the reality is now people need guns to outdo their neighbor and the gun totting gangster living down the street.

Cant even go for a nature walk without worrying if some asshole hunting out of season is going to put a slug in my ass thinking I'm a deer.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

nicolau - "...let Darwinism take care of (it)..."

Except in this case, natural selection leaves a lot of collateral damage in its wake...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit