Gun Ownership - A question for American Witnesses (or Ex-Witnesses)

by no-zombie 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• no-zombie
    no-zombie

I would like to ask a question regarding gun ownership in the active American Witnesses community. While rifle ownership has been put in the same category as spear guns and fishing rods, how has the issue of pistol ownership been handled in US congregations?

• careful
    careful

It would depend on the reason for the handgun possession. Is the Witness in law enforcement? Does he or she work in an environment where wild animals are a threat (backcountry ranger, wilderness guide, remote logger,) or while a Witness was hunting for food (hunters often carry handguns too as backup)? Also, the org has long made a distinction between gun ownership and the use of such guns. That is, it is only when a gun is discharged that the local BOE might become involved. They meet in order to decide if any "bloodguilt" is attached, if the gun's use was necessary, if the supposedly biblical "respect for life" was somehow violated, etc.

Helpful?

• TD
    TD

In the Southwestern U.S. (at least) pistol ownership is no different than rifle / shotgun ownership.

Just like long guns, pistols come in many varieties. Some are antiques and curiosities that people inherit. Some are intended for self defense, some are intended for hunting and some are hard to categorize

• no-zombie
    no-zombie

Gun ownership here in Australia, is like a 'don't ask: don't tell' issue. While there might be some differences between city and country congregations (particularly those with farmers), gun ownership generally here could hold someone back from advancing theocratically (if you talk about it openly), as he might me viewed as a immature christian, one not sensitive to the conscience of others. But mention guns and self-defense together in the same sentence, and that's a whole additional level of backroom conversations.

And it is this issue of self-defense in general, that interests me at the moment and its what motivated my question. I plan to make a new topic of this subject after I finish some research on it, which is centered around the Bible and its relevant historical contexts.

• TD
    TD

--Looking forward to your thread. In the 1937 book, Enemies, self defense was an inalienable right of all people.

By 1983, they were willing to misapply their own understanding of Isaiah 53:12 in order to discourage it.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I know several elders that had gun collections, either from the army or direct purchase.

It depended on the congregation you were in, the ones in Appalachia were heavy gun owners and not even the JW could change that, second amendment applied to God as well, but go to New York City or Europe and you would think, like a Smurf, guns could walk out and kill people and having one in your home was tantamount to murder.

So in the end, as with everything in JW-land, it depends on your elders.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter
    careful It would depend on the reason for the handgun possession. Is the Witness in law enforcement?

I have been out for 30 years, but I recall carrying a gun for employment was HIGHLY frowned upon by the WT. I remember being told I was not "above reproach" because of being in law enforcement. Has that viewpoint changed in subsequent years? Of course JW's have no issue with calling police (who may have to use deadly force) and have them act as surrogates in violent situations.

• vienne
    vienne
    One of my uncles, a long-serving elder, had a pistol and no one questioned it. He used it for competitive, timed shoots. That is, how fast and accurate can you be on targets at distance. He'd still own it, he says, but one of his brother in laws stole it.
  • greenhornet
    greenhornet

Owning a firearm is poo poo unless it is a hunting rifle. When I got out of the Watchtower I went on a collection of pistols, carbines and rifles.

• careful
    careful

I figured someone would question the idea that Witnesses are or have been employed in law enforcement, and tenyearsafter did. If you listen to this audio of an interview of actress Teresa Graves from some old assembly/convention, a NYC undercover cop Witness who carries a gun is mentioned (with an apology/defense by the interviewing brother). Go to 21:20-22:17.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ziru8axnuNU

Additionally, there was bro back in the late 70s-early 80s who worked for the FBI. I can't document this like the Graves interview, and this info was provided to me confidentially, a promise I will keep. I can say the this bro was uniquely used to help certain Witnesses.

Have you considered, tenyearsafter, that since you now know that the org has double standards in multiple areas, that this supposed "HIGHLY frowned upon" view of employment requiring guns—given to the R&F—just might be another one?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit