1 tsp Baking soda

1/4 cup Sugar

1/8 tps Cardamom

1/4 cup Butter

1 Egg, at room temperature

1 3/4 cup Buttermilk, at room -temperature

1 1/2 cup Currants

2 tsp grate lemon peel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or work it in with your finger.

Mix the egg and buttermilk together and then add this mixture to the dry ingredients. Stir until well blended.

Add the currantsand lemon peel and stir the mixture well. Turn out on a floured surface and knead gently for 3 minutes or until the dough is smooth.

Divide the dough into two pieces, shaping each into a round loaf. Place each in a greased 8 inch cake or pie pan,pressing it down until the dough fills the pan. Use a sharp knife to cut a 1/2 inch deep X on top of each loaf.

Bake in a preheated 375 F oven for about 40 minutes or until the bread sounds hollow when you thump it. Turn out on a wire rack to cool. Do not cut for about 4 hours. Makes 2 loaves.

Cut this crusty bread in wedges to serve with butter and orange marmalade or apple butter.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

DUBLIN SUNDAY CORNED BEEF AND CABBAGE DINNER

Recipe By : Ravyn

Serving Size : 4-6

Ingredients:(notice no potatoes!)

5 lb Corned beef brisket

1 lg Onion stuck with 6 whole - -cloves

6 Carrots, peeled and sliced 8 Potatoes, peeled and cubed

1 tsp Dried Thyme

1 sm Bunch Parsley

1 Head Cabbage (about 2 lbs)- -cut in quarters

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Put beef in a large pot and cover with cold water. Add all other ingredients except cabbage and bring to a boil with the lid off the pot. Turn to simmer and cook for 3 hours. Skim fat from top as it rises. Remove the thyme, parsley and onion. Add cabbage. Simmer for 20 minutes until cabbage is cooked. Remove the meat and cut into pieces. Place on center of a large platter. Strain the cabbage and season it heavily with black pepper. Surround the beef with the cabbage and carrots. Serve with choice of mustard, malt or cider vinegar and horseradish.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(now for the potatoes!)

COLCANNON

Recipe By :Ravyn

Ingredients:

1 lb. Potatoes, scrubbed, partially peeled (leave some peel) and sliced

1/2 lb. Turnips, peeled and sliced

2 med. Parsnips, peeled and sliced(remove stringy center)

2 med. Leeks

1 med. Onion, chopped

1 cup Celery, peeled and chopped

1/2 lb Cabbage

1 cup Half and Half

1/2 tsp Mace or Nutmeg (optional)

2 lrg. Garlic cloves, minced

1 dash Pepper

4 tblsp Butter

2 envelopes of dry Ranch Salad Dressing

1 cup Sour Cream

1 bunch Parsley

Cook the potatoes, turnips and parsnips in water until tender-about 20-30 minutes. While these are cooking, chop leeks (greens as well as whites), onion and celery- simmer in the milk until soft. Next, cook the cabbage and have warm and well chopped. Drain the potatoes/turnips/parsnips, season with mace, garlic, dry salad dressing and pepper, and beat well. Add the cooked leeks/onion/celery and milk (be careful not to break down the leeks too much). Finally, blend in the cabbage, sour cream and butter. The texture should be that of a smooth-buttery mashed potatoes with well distributed pieces of leek/onion/celery and cabbage. Garnish with parsley.

STEAK,SAUSAGE AND KETCHUP(MUSHROOM) PIE WITH GUINNESS

Ingredients:

1 1/2 pounds of chuck steak

1 tblsp. Flour

1 tsp Brown sugar or 3 tblsp. Honey

5 lrg. Onions-chopped small

2 cloves garlic-chopped

8 Slices bacon -chopped small

1 pound sage sausage-loose

3 cups fresh chopped mushrooms (bite size pieces)

1 bottle Guinness

4 tblsp. worcestershire sauce

2tsp Thyme(crush and grind with fingers)

1tsp Rosemary(crush and grind with fingers)

Deep-dish pie crust top and bottom

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brown loose sausage and bacon in large fry pan, drain most of the fat. Cut the steak into small-bite sized cubes, roll in flour. Brown (with the bacon and sausage) in fry pan. Place the meat in a casserole or dutch oven, and fry the onions and garlic until golden before adding them to the meat. Add the mushrooms, worcestershire, thyme, rosemary, and brown sugar, pour in the Guinness, cover tightly and simmer over a low heat or in a very moderate oven (325-350F) for 2 1/2 hours. Stir occasionally, and add a little water if the rich brown gravy gets too thick.

Meanwhile, line a deep pie dish with half the pie crust: bake it EMPTY: then add the beef mixture from the casserole, cover with the top layer of pie crust, and bake until finished, probably about 10 more minutes.

SMOKED FISH PIE

Recipe by: Ravyn

Serving size: 4-6

1 lb Smoked cod or salmon(or both!)

1/2 lb Onions

1/2 lb Shelled peas

10 oz Half and Half

3 tblsp. Flour

1 tsp Dry mustard

1 oz Butter

2 cups Mashed potatoes

1 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese(opt)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chop onions roughly and fry in butter until tender. Remove from heat an stir in flour and mustard. Add half and half. Return to heat and stir until thickened. Add fish, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, and peas. Turn into ovenproof dish and cover with mashed potatoes. Bake in a moderate oven at 400F, for 35-45 minutes, or until golden brown. .

(Though not traditional, the addition of 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese to the sauce and some shredded cheddar on top of potatoes the last 10 minutes of cooking makes this an extremely tasty dish.)

IRISH LACE COOKIES

Serving Size : 24

Ingredients:

1/2 cup unsalted butter

4 tablespoons flour

1 cup firmly packed brown sugar

1 tablespoon whiskey

2 tablespoons milk

1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 2 baking sheets.

Cream butter and sugar. Add whiskey.

Stir in flour, milk, and rolled oats.

Drop batter by the tablespoon onto prepared baking sheets; allow room for cookies to spread to about 3 inches in diameter. (Each baking sheet will hold about 6 cookies.)

Bake until cookies flatten and look dry (10 minutes). Let cookies cool for 4 to 5 minutes on baking sheets. Lift from baking sheet with a metal spatula and cool completely. Makes 2 dozen cookies.

IRISH POTATO CANDY

Serving Size : 48

Ingredients:

1 cup prepared mashed potatoes (with no salt or pepper added)

4 oz softened cream cheese

1/4 lb butter -- softened

2- 1lb. boxes confectioners' sugar

1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (or whiskey)

Cinnamon or Cocoa

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blend cream cheese and butter together well. Add vanilla and mashed potatoes. Stir in confectioner's sugar until very stiff. Make into bite size balls(potato-looking) and roll thoroughly in cinnamon or cocoa.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Ravyn:

Yummmm I have put Thunder to work on those cookies and boy he sure likes any recipes with Guiness

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

ok --- SOMEONE added the potatoes to the Sunday Dinner--- HOWEVER I was told by my old Irish 'grandmother'(Jackie Cockrell) that the potatoes were cooked separately! So add them if you like--but just be warned, Jackie said that was an American thing! LOL

Of Course St. Patrick's Day is an American thing too.

Slainte! (mmmmmm Guinnesss)

Ravyn

• nowisee
    nowisee

i have always been told the most basic irish recipe is - boil meat, boil potatoes, drink lots of whiskey. glad to know the irish are really more creative!

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

Speaking of Guinness....

I learned this from a Mormon....

Guinness makes a non-alcoholic version called Calibur or Caliber or maybe with a K.... anyway it is good on its own---however---if you take a scant teaspoon of Postum(the toasted wheat supposed coffee substitute)and just enough warm water to dissolve it(less than a shot glass!) and mix it gently in the Calibur--it adds the dark roasted grain flavor back into it and VOILA! you have non-alcoholic Guinness! I tried this amid much argument and made my husband do a closed-eyes taste test--he HONESTLY could not tell it was not regular Guinness! Now I know that Guinness is Guinness and why mess with perfection--but IF some in your party want the pleasure of the taste and do not want the alcohol-it works so well that even rebellious mormons are happy with it!

Ravyn

• outnfree
    outnfree

Thanks, Ravyn! I love Irish Soda Bread and have my own recipe, but I'll be glad to try another. Also the recipe for Colcannon looks great! outnfree

• Princess
    Princess

thanks for the recipes ravyn. My husband drinks Kaliber (it is with a K btw) all the time. I'll have to ask him if he wants to the the postum idea.

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

ok now I know why irish women died young---------

OMG! I THOUGHT kneading the bread this mornig would be the hardest part! It was the easiest! I got blisters from chopping and cutting up those hard veggies and then I had to mash them--I did not have pots big enough and had to switch back and forth from two smaller ones(that I previously thought were very large pots!) and I had mashed potatoes in my hair and my husband laughd at me! Damn now I NEED a Guinness! Holy Cow! Can you imagine doing that EVERY DAY for half a dozen kids besides! (WITH half a dozen kids besides!!!!) I made the Irish Soda Bread and Colcannon and Dublin Sunday Dinner, the rest of the recipes will have to wait for the next Irish Holiday. Altho I would love to make the steak pie and fish pie. I am not big on making cookies. Maybe becoz they get eaten as fast as I make them and it is a lot of work for 30 seconds of satisfaction....

Happy St. Patrick's Day tomorrow!

Slainte!

Ravyn

PS-Princess---asking my husband to try got me no where---I had to MAKE him! LOL Blind taste-test.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit