The God of The Bible Must be Stupid

by AnonVet 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AnonVet
    AnonVet

I don't mean to be blasphemous to the real God. I just don't think the god of the bible is our actual god. And I think the god of the bible is not very bright.

I was thinking about the flood the other day. God went through all this work to destroy wicked people. That was the plan, wasn't it? Yet, from the time of the flood, to the time of the scattering of the languages is generally regarded as 106 years. So, it took 40 years to build an ark and then destroy all mankind, yet 106 years later mankind was back at the same spot, having filled the earth with wickedness.

Then I thought about Adam and Eve. It's generally regarded in the Watchtower Society that their sin took place within a year or two of creation.

So, what's this? God couldn't predict this?

Guess what?

What's forecast next?

A: Armageddon.

Yep. God's going to destroy all wicked people again. Well, Einstein, you don't need to be a rocket surgeon to see what's going to happen next, do you? Within 100 years (well before the 1000 years are over) mankind will again have filled the earth with violence.

How can god not predict that? I surely can.

But, alas, I don't believe in any of the 3 fables above. So, the point is moot.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The stories told by the ancient Hebrews about their specific god YHWH were fictional but they were intentionally done so to create power and relevance to their god.

Also to subsequently have their god greater and more powerful over other gods worshiped by other distinctly separate ancient civilizations.

To belong to the most powerful almighty of gods was deemed advantageous and psychologically supportive to this ancient civilization.

• Simon
    Simon

The Tower of Babel is really one of those "tall tales" bits of the bible - like the guy killing legions of armies with a jawbone.

Supposedly god was worried that stone-age man was going to build a tower all the way up to heaven (the later Roman master-builders only managed a few floors max) so god felt the need to confuse them and cause national division.

Forget for a minute that we can trace the evolution of most languages which show the story to be nonsense, the notion goes against the main theme of the bible being "can man rule himself". Apparently, it's not a fair playing field because if he can cooperate to achieve things, god will step in to make sure he can't.

And yet, when it comes to "why do bad things happen" and why evil is allowed, we're supposed to believe it's because god must allow a fair evaluation and unfortunately the suffering (which he could stop) can't be stopped.

Some religious people actually believe this shit happened for real. How scary is that?!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Simon - "...it's not a fair playing field because if he can cooperate to achieve things, God will step in to make sure he can't..."

I remember the first time I put that together.

Definitely one of the bigger "waitaminute" moments.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

That you don't believe in any of the fables makes it impossible to to understand them. In the case of Adam and Eve, what if the fall of man was supposed to happen? If God knows all things from the beginning, it stands to reason God knew there would be a fall. He put an innocent couple in a garden setting with a malicious mastermind. In their innocent state, Adam and Eve would have been ignorant, knowing neither good nor evil. What would man have to gain from the fall? Everything. Going from a state where there is no growth, no progression, to a mortal environment. In mortality his very soul could be forged in the flames of adversity. But it was a decision man had to make. And through Christ, man gained the ability to become like God. (See I John 3:2) This he never could have achieved in a state of innocence. His body had no glory and he had no potential.

Next you mentioned Armageddon. But keep in mind that the JWs have a specialized interpretation of this great battle that correlates with no other Christian faith. In actual prophecy, Armageddon is simply a great battle between Muslim nations and Israel in the latter days. (See Ezekiel 38-39, Zechariah 12, 14, Revelation 11) On the verge of destruction, Jerusalem is saved when Jesus returns in power and glory to rule the world. It is not some event where fire falls from the sky and everyone but JWs die horrible deaths.

You're right about man degenerating at the end of the thousand years. When Satan is released at the end of that time, he will gather great numbers of people together in an attempt to wage one final battle, called after the first, Gog and Magog. But unlike the first, God will bring it to a quick end. Then will come the final judgment.

As with any religion, the Bible is open to many views and interpretations. The Jehovah's Witnesses, whatever their intentions, have one of the worst, most narrow theologies of any religion out there. It doesn't teach the love of God or his mercies. Everything is based on discipline, service, not in the form of relief efforts, but in conversion, and in consequences, of which there are many. Nothing is well thought out, so it's not really fair to judge the God of the Bible as seen through JW eyes.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Great points. Why didn't Jehovah just use Noah's flood as Armageddon? You just killed off everyone on earth but the righteous, why not just get rid of Satan and his followers and start over? Why allow so many centuries of suffering thereafter? Really, what is left to prove?

• fukitol
    fukitol

Every supposed divine intervention in the Hebrew scriptures or warning of blessings or malediction is nothing but scary fables invented by the ancient Jewish priestly class to keep their privileged position in society and to keep the meat sacrifices coming in, which they relied on for their food.

The ancient Israelite priests and their scribes simply made up frightening tales of an angry or blessing God to keep the masses scared and subservient and in awe of them.

All religion, ancient and current, is a little man playing tricks behind the curtain.

• never a jw
    never a jw

rocket surgeon

The things you learn in the internet!!!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

This is the fable I heard when I was a Witness:

Perhaps Jehovah caused the Tower of Babel incident because "the human race needed to be set back or else they may have brought about a ruination of the world before Christ could be born" - (or words to that effect).

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Just add to this discussion, anther viewpoint could be why would god kill off all of mankind because it was evil to only save one family that was also inherently evil from Adam, so the world again returned to a evil state as it was prior to the flood ???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit