National Insurance Contribution UK

by MrHappy 6 Replies latest jw experiences

• MrHappy
    MrHappy

I just discovered that I have gaps in my National Insurance Contributions for the years I spent in Bethel! I remember signing a vow of poverty and a tax document declaring my volunteer missionary status but I don't remember them ever telling me that I would have to pay my own NI contributions out of my allowance. I am wondering about all those who have been asked to leave Bethel in the last year and who are behind on their contributions. If any of you have left the UK Bethel you should find out about your government pension and see what you can do to top-up or make back payments; although you can only back pay for the past 10 years.

• zeb
    zeb

They would never have told you as this would have meant looking ahead to retirement time but before the end had come. But yes if you are in the UK and can make top ups its a good idea.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

it may make no difference to your state pension. you need X number of years---any more years you pay add nothing to your pension.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

Stan's right. You need 35 years worth. If you have less, then you may be able to claim pension credit on retirement which will top up your pension to around £235 per week assuming you are claiming as a couple.

• John Free
    John Free

Pretty hard on the old timers whom got the boot in last years cuts. I suppose the state welfare system will lovingly provide for them though.

Welcome to the forum Mr happy. If you wish to, why not start a post to introduce yourself and your story?

Regards

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Hi MrHappy glad to see you on board here, you can check your pension/NI status on direct.gov I suggest you do so ASAP, and the fact weather you are entitled to a full UK pension depend on many factors, how long were you in Bethel? how long have you been working and paying NI? how old are you etc? the pensionable age has risen as well.

• fulano
    fulano

Same for me, 10 years abroad, missionary and US Bethel is 20% less pension. Netherlands count for every year you pay or live in the country 2%. I should charge the society.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit