Anyone here can post anything they want...how much is true?

by berylblue 30 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

LOL, blackout. I got caught by your "cookie monster" story. When you made it clear it was a story only, it did not diminish how funny your story was. In my opinion.

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

That's a good question. Sounds like there are many combination of possibilities.

You can speak full truth and not be believed or you can speak no truth and be completely believed, and the entire gamut in between. There are embellished stories based generally on truth, and posts intended to tell a lie with just enough elements of truth to make some people believe. Jokes and pranks are a different matter. (Only 2 weeks til April Fool's day, right?) Also, I think some people write very well (or want to practice), and use the forum to hone their story-telling skills, and precise truth is not important. I cracked up over a story about a helium "zeppelin" which was written extremely well. Whether it happened exactly like that or not, I don't care -- the story was entertaining.

There are also those who really believe they are right about issues like war, peace, two-witness rule, a certain person, an idea, etc, and they immediately create two polarized camps. The exaggerations found in defenses or attacks in these situations often border on lies. I think quite a bit of lying happened with the recent BB/RF fiasco.

There are also people who are obviously lying about their credentials.The "holy grail" for a JW is to be defended as having the "True Religion" by some well respected person with a 200 IQ, who is also an expert in all fields (of history, science, biology, religion, archaeology, ancient languages) but who is not a JW (to avoid the appearance of bias). JWs have come here and tried to put themselves in a similar light, and of course, exJWs are tempted to offer corresponding credentials.

I'm sure my own situation should seem a bit suspicious to some. I have avoided these forums for years, except for one private forum that a couple other posters on this board also belong to. I show up all of a sudden --anonymously-- and claim to have spoken to several members of the GB and the Writing Department from 1976 to 1982. I would be suspicious, if I were me .

I guess all we can do is ask questions and not be terribly quick to believe all things.

Gamaliel

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    I'm sure my own situation should seem a bit suspicious to some. I have avoided these forums for years, except for one private forum that a couple other posters on this board also belong to. I show up all of a sudden --anonymously-- and claim to have spoken to several members of the GB and the Writing Department from 1976 to 1982. I would be suspicious, if I were me

Believe me (), I've asked myself why I believe you. Likely your calm, non-sensational manner is part of the reason, but a paragraph from my first post in this thread might explain it as well; will I ever learn? lol.

Six-quothe me class:

Sure, it seems naive to believe, but then again, some lies are effective because of their grandiosity, who would lie about something so public? It plays off the fact that we'd all love to believe that we are hanging out online with someone talented, famous, and important.

Six~ Wink ArtLetter

I became friends with a fellow member of a real Witness discussion board several years ago, who had the last name Weaver (Irish). I asked how he knew so much "inside bethel" type information, and he seized the opportunity to let me know that his uncle Leon Weaver was a president of one of the newly formed WT corporations, and he was still in fairly close contact.

My friendship with him was long over, due to the fact that his life was pretty much one large fabrication (and under continual remodification), when I recently was clued in to the fact that WT bigwig Leon Weaver is black (decidedly not Irish).

• LDH
    LDH

Hi all.

(((((SIX)))))

I wish I had the time to show you how the Real Troll Patrol operates, but alas I am very busy these days.

All it takes is keen observation and waiting for the slip-up. It always comes.

Lisa

Troll Patrol Queen

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Hey Girl!! ((((hugs))))

How's the pope? lol.

If you get to spend some time here, you should have good hunting right about now.

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

Six o' nine,

Believe me (), I've asked myself why I believe you. Likely your calm, non-sensational manner is part of the reason, but a paragraph from my first post in this thread might explain it as well; will I ever learn? lol.

I respect how well Lisa has manned the troll bridges around here. So before I get "gone over with a fine-tooth comb" I thought I'd point you to a thread where AlanF has kindly vouched for me. His comments there employ a bit of exaggeration about me, but outside of that, I'd trust him.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/48311/3.ashx

Gamaliel

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

Interesting comments. When I first came to the board I wanted to believe everything I read. I was being honest, so I had no reason to believe that others wouldn't be. Silly silly scootergirl. Now, I take what is written w/a grain of salt. Call me skeptical, but I don't believe everything I read anymore. I have seen a lot of "attention hounds" on here......they usually fade away when their needs are not met. Instead of investing my time and energy on everyone, I pick and chose people that I have come to trust and believe.

XW....great point about people trying to remember all the details of their "embellishments". One thing I teach my children is this........

Tell the truth and you have nothing to remember.
  • ISP
    ISP

A person could make stuff up and post it. Likely it would get some sort of reaction but we are a pretty discerning lot. So they get found out in the end.

ISP

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Not to worry Gamaliel, I was serious when I said I believe you (to be legit).

• ISP
    ISP

For example......there was a story a while back of how someone got kidnapped by the Governing body and was a sex slave for 2/3 months...........I didn't buy that.

ISP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit