How did ancients know entire Earth was covered by water?

by Bad_Wolf 15 Replies latest social current

• Bad_Wolf
    Bad_Wolf

Entire world used to be covered by water. I am not talking about the 'great flood', but on Earth's formation itself. The bible talks about Earth being only water and then God making dry land appear.

Any theories? Were ancients lucky, or did they have a form of geology that noticed aquatic fossils in dry land, etc?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Its ancient mythology where anything can happen out human imagination

Quote a few scriptures and lets have a look

• cofty
    cofty
    Entire world used to be covered by water.

Says who?

• Bad_Wolf
    Bad_Wolf

""And God said, “Let the waters under the heavens be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land appear.” And it was so. 10 God called the dry land Earth,[d] and the waters that were gathered together he called Seas""

Just saying the fact that the entire Earth used to be covered in water, was this just pure luck that it was correct or what are the ideas?

:

• sir82
    sir82

Floods were common occurrences in many parts of the world where humans developed civilization, with often catastrophic consequences.

Hunters out wandering around probably encountered unmistakable fossil evidence of sea life (shells, impressions of fish skeletons, etc.) on mountains & hills far from water.

It is human nature to try to make sense of things. Ancient people had no access to any sort of scientific equipment or knowledge to know why or how things in nature happen. So they often attributed things they couldn't readily figure out to the actions of superhuman deities.

Throw all that into a bag, shake it up, and out comes a "god(s) caused a worldwide flood that covered even the mountains" myth.

• Bad_Wolf
    Bad_Wolf
    Entire world used to be covered by water.
    Says who?

I guess I am not the only one who did not know that. I was recently in Colombia and went to the salt mines. It was explained how the salt mines were formed. Ancient ocean covered it.

But here is a recent article https://www.newscientist.com/article/2130266-early-earth-was-covered-in-a-global-ocean-and-had-no-mountains/

"
    Earth 4.4 billion years ago was flat and almost entirely covered in water with just a few small islands, new research suggests.

Scientists came to the conclusion after analysing tiny zircon mineral grains from a region of Western Australia containing the oldest rocks ever found.

“The history of the Earth is like a book with its first chapter ripped out with no surviving rocks from the very early period, but we’ve used these trace elements of zircon to build a profile of the world at that time,” says lead researcher Antony Burnham, from the Australian National University.

“Our research indicates there were no mountains and continental collisions during Earth’s first 700 million years or more of existence – it was a much more quiet and dull place,” he says. “There are strong similarities with zircon from the types of rocks that predominated for the following 1.5 billion years, suggesting that it took the Earth a long time to evolve into the planet that we know today.”

• Bad_Wolf
    Bad_Wolf
    "Floods were common occurrences in many parts of the world where humans developed civilization, with often catastrophic consequences."

I am not talking about a flood, I am talking about before dry land on Earth, the entire Earth covered in water. Not a flood happening after dry land appeared.

• Bad_Wolf
    Bad_Wolf

That would also explain why no mammals of earliest fossils. Could not happen if only possible for aquatic life.

• sir82
    sir82

You're asking how ancient man "knew" the whole earth was covered in water.

My answer (the whole thing, not just the part you snipped) tells how they didn't "know" that at all.

• cofty
    cofty
    That would also explain why no mammals of earliest fossils

Earliest fossils are of prokaryotic life more than 3 billion years ago. Mammals didn't evolve until 160 million years ago.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit