The Dark-Skinned Early Briton.

by fulltimestudent 16 Replies latest jw friends

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

I'm sure many others noted in yesterday's news feeds, that scientists deciphering the DNA of the skeleton remains of a man thought to have died some 10,000 years ago in the south of England, have presented him as:

as blue-eyed (now that's quite English) but as dark skinned. And, that's not very English, to the horror of many.

(link: https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/02/ancient-face-cheddar-man-reconstructed-dna-spd/ )

But what immediately jumped into the forefront of my (admittedly distorted by 50 years of JWdom) mind, was that this was the color that WT theorists imagined as Adam's skin color. (The article,that's stuck in my mind, described Adam as a mulatto).

The National Geographic coverage noted: "That's because a new analysis of the ancient man's DNA proves he's genetically similar to other dark-skinned individuals from the Mesolithic era found in Spain, Hungary, and Luxemborg whose DNA has already been sequenced. The new revelation places the Cheddar Man among a group of hunter-gatherers that are thought to have migrated to Europe at the end of the last Ice Age some 11,000 years ago."

How interesting, in the light of current debates about white skin and history,

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

interesting bust. made by cadburys perhaps ?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

FULLTIMESTUDENT:

I read something like this once before. They think early Europeans had darker skin and through a mutation lighter skin developed over time.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent
    LongHairGal : "They think early Europeans had darker skin and through a mutation lighter skin developed over time."

I would appear so, LHG. Though if we accept the Nat Geo write-up, we could envision people of this type co-existing with people who had a much lighter skin tone.

The other interesting point is that this person had a darker skin AND blue eyes (or, that's how they are reading his genome). I'd previously thought that the blue eyes/pale skin mutation had occurred together.

• SAHS
    SAHS

“fulltimestudent”: “This was the color that WT theorists imagined as Adam's skin color.

That must have certainly been outside the era of the Joseph Franklin (“Judge”) Rutherford regime because he had all the artwork depicting Adam, as well as Abraham, Moses, and Jesus Christ drawn as clean shaven, milk toast WHITE men.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Love the snake with legs. Lol

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

They find fish living in caves that are blind but have eyes or the remnants of them. I too think humans migrated and when they got to northern places like Europe lost the need for so much pigment.

• Outahere
    Outahere

They've found remains in Spain also dating back 10-15 k before present. Blue eyes and black skin also. The light skin mutation, it appears, had not yet established itself.

Anyway. Grandpa's got that jerkboy shitlord grin on his face as if Grandma's hormonal and he's just going to go out and hunt with his mates until it all blows over.

• WhatshallIcallmyself
    WhatshallIcallmyself

It would make sense that the earliest colonists of the higher latitudes would retain their darker skin pigmentation. The evidence collected so far shows that the rate of our expansion into new territory happened extremely quickly. Once there the new settlers then adapted to their new environment (colder climate and less sun light) and this led to the lighter skin tones giving advantage over darker ones in the main because of our ability now to produce enough vitamin d.

The blue eyes are interesting though. However if this was a recent descendant of the first settlers there would have been a lot of genetic variation in the population whilst the population attempted to fit in with its environment.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

If, 10,000 years ago, the majority of Britons and other Europeans was dark-skinned, then fine - I don't have a problem with this.

But I hope this scientific discovery won't be used against modern European countries wishing to tighten their borders and control immigration ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit